1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lePnmfL.jpg

I'd prefer Shuri being the new Black Panther over a recast of T'Challa since it happened in the comics. Ideally they would have some footage or be able to use effects to have him pass the mantle onto her.

This whole T'Challa persona is bigger than Boseman in my opinion but I'd like to hear from somebody black on how they feel about it. Black Panther represents more than a film for them from what I have observed and as jackollie95 said.

Its more a case of how do they respectfully move forward with the character of Black Panther whilst also remaining respectful to Chadwick Boseman and his fans.

He brought the character to life and I?m sure many kids look up to him and consider him a role model and inspiring. To many he IS Black Panther, just as RDJ IS Iron Man.

If they recast, no matter who it is, it just wont be the same even if they are great.

Maybe they can do something to keep the character alive in the background but he?s simply too busy ruling Wakanda and building relations with the rest of the world to be Black Panther so has allowed someone else to take up the mantle in his stead.

Only time will tell but whatever Marvel do, they need to do it in a manner that is respectful to Boseman and fans alike.

I thought it was well known that Feige already planned for Shuri to take over the mantle in the next BP movie? There was a rumor floating around that Boseman was not happy about this news but that the MCU was pushing for more females and more diversity other than men even if it was already a black man. Apparently T?challa was not diverse enough for Disney.

It could be BS but it sounded legit knowing the path the MCU is taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the significant achievements of Black Panther was that it was the first blockbuster film that was written, directed and acted by a predominantly black cast and crew. Its success gave them the platform to direct the industry's attention to the relative lack of opportunities for blacks and other minorities both in front of and behind the camera. Given that, IMO T'Challa will ultimately be recast, because not only is there more story to tell with the character, if you don't recast him that's one less job for a black actor. That said, whoever they cast will have huge shoes to fill. The one guy I could see handling it (Mahershala Ali) has already signed on to do Blade, so unless he & Feige decide to switch things up I don't see an obvious choice out there (I haven't seen Denzel's son in anything, so no opinion on him).

One of the significant achievements of Black Panther was that it was the first blockbuster film that was written, directed and acted by a predominantly black cast and crew. Its success gave them the platform to direct the industry's attention to the relative lack of opportunities for blacks and other minorities both in front of and behind the camera. Given that, IMO T'Challa will ultimately be recast, because not only is there more story to tell with the character, if you don't recast him that's one less job for a black actor. That said, whoever they cast will have huge shoes to fill. The one guy I could see handling it (Mahershala Ali) has already signed on to do Blade, so unless he & Feige decide to switch things up I don't see an obvious choice out there (I haven't seen Denzel's son in anything, so no opinion on him).

Dude there is literally a lot of black actors who could play the character as good as Chadwick Boseman the only problem is how hypocrite people will act when they recast T'challa.
ps: the character was soo important to Chadwick that he played him while he had been battling cancer, its a desonour and a disrespectful move to forget his character.

The thing about recasting T'Challa is that king's are usually defined by their reign. How it ends is part of that. If you recast, audiences won't forget that it was initially Boseman. It's just not the same guy. From a narrative standpoint, T'Challa's reign must be defined. Personally, I like the idea of a great king who died unexpectedly. It's pretty damn close to reality anyway.

Also, with T'Challa out of the picture, a war against Atlantis could be very interesting while Wakanda has it's own power struggle for control and leadership. The film could almost hit the note of "If T'Challa were here it would be okay, but he's not so it's up to us."

The thing about recasting T'Challa is that king's are usually defined by their reign. How it ends is part of that. If you recast, audiences won't forget that it was initially Boseman. It's just not the same guy. From a narrative standpoint, T'Challa's reign must be defined. Personally, I like the idea of a great king who died unexpectedly. It's pretty damn close to reality anyway.

Also, with T'Challa out of the picture, a war against Atlantis could be very interesting while Wakanda has it's own power struggle for control and leadership. The film could almost hit the note of "If T'Challa were here it would be okay, but he's not so it's up to us."

But that is the thing, we need to see how T'challa will built his reigh, he just had one movie to built the base of what Wakanda is, now Wakanda is different after the Snap.
The Black Panther is about T'challa and not somebody else, its like a lion king movie without Simba.

Hmm, I actually like this take!

I'm just glad he was able to realize some of his cultural impact before he died. He will be like Bruce Lee in 50 years.

I'm also happy he was able to finish his role with endgame. I feel that movie is a good jumping off point for MCU anyway. Sure Ill keep watching the movies but I dont think they will be able to recapture the momentum they had from 2012 to 2019.

I'm just glad he was able to realize some of his cultural impact before he died. He will be like Bruce Lee in 50 years.

I'm also happy he was able to finish his role with endgame. I feel that movie is a good jumping off point for MCU anyway. Sure Ill keep watching the movies but I dont think they will be able to recapture the momentum they had from 2012 to 2019.

What they accomplished was a miracle in itself.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not reached again until the next Marvel Reboot.

Shuri becoming Black Panther is something fans have been anticipating way before this happened. People want to see that story. Although Leticia was portraying a much younger depiction of the character, it will be cool to see her go on that journey. Obviously she'd get challenged for the thrown and defeated because shes not a warrior. So she would have to climb back, become stronger than she is and prove herself worthy. Then you throw in Namor and Atlantis on top of that and its a pretty compelling movie. A female Black Panther would be very popular, especially in the MeToo era. Not to mention there is a lack of black female heroes in the MCU.

We already got T'Challa's story. It was perfect. They won't be able to top it, certainly not with a stand-in. They would be setting themselves up for failure. Anyone who replaces Chadwick would only be doing a Chadwick impersonation. I don't think the cast would want that. And I don't think any actor would want to be the one to replace him.

Marvel has never played it safe. BP2 needs to reflect what the audience is feeling. There has been a huge change and there needs to be a change on screen. If they just pretend like everything is the same, it will not feel genuine.

There may have been stories yet to tell with T'Challa but I think Boseman's death puts a premature end to that and they will indeed advance Shuri if that's what happened in the comics. As has already been said this is the way they are trending anyway with increasing emphasis on the female heroes.

Dude there is literally a lot of black actors who could play the character as good as Chadwick Boseman the only problem is how hypocrite people will act when they recast T'challa.
ps: the character was soo important to Chadwick that he played him while he had been battling cancer, its a desonour and a disrespectful move to forget his character.

Yes there are a lot of great black actors out there who could do a fine job, but many of the best known already are/were MCU characters (Elba, Ejiofor, MB Jordan, Mackie, T. Howard, Kaluuya, Duke, Glover, Hounsou) or other comic book characters (W. Smith, D. Johnson, J. Foxx, Abdul-Mateen) and are therefore unlikely to be considered. David Oyelowo is another fine actor, but IMO he's probably too short for the role. LaKeith Stanfield is a possibility, and I'm sure there are others I'm either forgetting or who aren't yet "A-List" that should/will be considered IF T'Challa is recast.

IDK, I think having T'Challa die off-screen and moving on without him is even more disrespectful to the character and CB's legacy. Plus it would be jarring continuity-wise, and we know the MCU is all about continuity. IMO they'll need to use BP2 to set up any transition to Shuri as BP. Frankly I wonder if Feige might be reconsidering that in light of all the other MCU plans. Between Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Jane Foster Thor, Kate Bishop Hawkeye, etc., women are well represented in their plans right now. Little boys need someone to look up to too (besides Spider-Man). :lol

Shuri is not built anywhere near super hero shape or height. I don't see how she would fill out a black panther costume. She would probably look as ridiculous fighting and beating up men twice her size as the midget woman from the last terminator movie. They need to recast Black Panther.

Shuri is not built anywhere near super hero shape or height. I don't see how she would fill out a black panther costume. She would probably look as ridiculous fighting and beating up men twice her size as the midget woman from the last terminator movie. They need to recast Black Panther.

What the hell is wrong with you? You just come into every thread spouting nonsense.

1. Shuri made the Black Panther suit that TChalla wore in BP, so I think she would be able to make one that fit her.
2. Black Widow is all of 5'3" and regularly beats the crap out of men twice her size. Why would it be so unbelievable for Shuri, who would be wearing an advanced kinetic suit, to do the same?

:lol because all the heroes in the MCU are built like a brick ****house.

Back