1/6 Big Chief Studios - Flash Gordon (1980)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see the 1980 Flash Gordon movie getting some love. I hope there is enough demand for these. Big Bang Pow tried with their 7 inch tall Alex Ross designed figures and then their smaller 3.75 inch tall figures a few years ago and there just wasn't enough interest to get any more characters / vehicles made. I had to get my own rocket cycle made for the 7 inch figures and now I've just started on the process of getting a new one modelled for the 3.75 inch figures.
I'll be very interested to see how this goes for Big Chief Studios and hope it's successful. They're actually located about 20 minutes drive away from where I live! Ming looks great. Flash is disappointing. Hope they can improve on him.

These two look pretty cool...not my cup of tea but they are looking very good.

60345186_10157830045621002_974266782242045952_o.jpg

59911973_10157830046586002_5813654335862603776_o.jpg

Don’t own any BCS figures..how are the bodies used for their figures?

HT quality? :dunno

The only BCS fig I own is the Connery Bond. The body on that was not that good, I swapped it out for a HT body.

Damn..as I figured, say what we want about HT from time to time , but they have the base body used for a 1/6 cornered in the market.

It really is disappointing that third parties have issues creating a base model body to go with all these new, fantastic and different 1/6 figure designs

Why is it so hard to compete against a TT :thud:

Great to see the 1980 Flash Gordon movie getting some love. I hope there is enough demand for these. Big Bang Pow tried with their 7 inch tall Alex Ross designed figures and then their smaller 3.75 inch tall figures a few years ago and there just wasn't enough interest to get any more characters / vehicles made. I had to get my own rocket cycle made for the 7 inch figures and now I've just started on the process of getting a new one modelled for the 3.75 inch figures.
I'll be very interested to see how this goes for Big Chief Studios and hope it's successful. They're actually located about 20 minutes drive away from where I live! Ming looks great. Flash is disappointing. Hope they can improve on him.

Really? Is someone doing a run of them or making one for you on Shapeways or somewhere? I would love this. Those 3.75 figures were fairly low quality but absolutely joyous to own nonetheless.

I'd love to photos of the 7" scale one you had made.

Here's the one that was constructed for the 7" scaled Alex Ross designed figures.
It looked great and was a real achievement for the time (2011), but since then, I got hold of some superb behind the scenes photos of the prop in the effects workshop which highlighted all of the errors in geometry, proportions and detailing on this one.

Flash-Gordon-Rocket-Cycle.jpg

Rocket-Cycle-COMPLETED-12.JPG

All those issues have been corrected for the 3.75" scaled version. I've done some packaging artwork for it too (Inspired by the PALITOY Star Wars packaging from the original Star Wars figures and vehicles)

If PALITOY / Kenner had released the Flash Gordon figures and vehicles toys in 1980, my seven year old self would have loved to see these boxes on the shelves in the toy stores!

Box-Palitoy-Final-ck5.jpg

Not sure if I'll be doing a run of these. Sadly, there was never any interest for the 7" figure scaled version. It costs a lot of money to get these things made and it would be great to recover some of the investment, but it seems there just isn't the demand for them (which is why I wish Big Chief Studios good luck with their figures and hope they continue to produce other characters before cancelling the line like Bif Bang Pow had to do with their attempts at the license).

I have always loved this rocket cycle and the 1980 Flash movie though, so I simply had to do it for my own collection to fulfil a childhood wish for wanting a model of this vehicle.

We've been photo-matching the details on the new one and the detailing stage has just been started.

05-Cycle 3.jpg

35-Cycle 17.jpg

Really? Is someone doing a run of them or making one for you on Shapeways or somewhere? I would love this. Those 3.75 figures were fairly low quality but absolutely joyous to own nonetheless.

I'd love to photos of the 7" scale one you had made.

Last edited:
BCS has started priority pre-orders for these figures. If you like to gamble, you can sign up to get an email to pre-order them before they go up for regular pre-order on Monday. Or, if you still like to gamble, you can pre-order them on Monday. Too bad the LALD figures haven't been released yet. Proof of good quality from the shift to a new factory would probably drive a lot more interest in pre-ordering anything by BCS.

https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/blog/flash-gordon-pricing-information

I do like to gamble, so I already pre-ordered. I'm glad they did away with that WorldPay nonsense. Score one point for BCS.

As badly as I want that Ming figure, I’ll probably hold off a bit. At least until something more recent from BCS is released.

Here's the one that was constructed for the 7" scaled Alex Ross designed figures.
It looked great and was a real achievement for the time (2011), but since then, I got hold of some superb behind the scenes photos of the prop in the effects workshop which highlighted all of the errors in geometry, proportions and detailing on this one.

View attachment 454257

View attachment 454258

All those issues have been corrected for the 3.75" scaled version. I've done some packaging artwork for it too (Inspired by the PALITOY Star Wars packaging from the original Star Wars figures and vehicles)

If PALITOY / Kenner had released the Flash Gordon figures and vehicles toys in 1980, my seven year old self would have loved to see these boxes on the shelves in the toy stores!

View attachment 454259

Not sure if I'll be doing a run of these. Sadly, there was never any interest for the 7" figure scaled version. It costs a lot of money to get these things made and it would be great to recover some of the investment, but it seems there just isn't the demand for them (which is why I wish Big Chief Studios good luck with their figures and hope they continue to produce other characters before cancelling the line like Bif Bang Pow had to do with their attempts at the license).

I have always loved this rocket cycle and the 1980 Flash movie though, so I simply had to do it for my own collection to fulfil a childhood wish for wanting a model of this vehicle.

We've been photo-matching the details on the new one and the detailing stage has just been started.

View attachment 454260

View attachment 454261

That is an awesome, awesome post and some very cool custom items. I too loved the Palitoy Star Wars and kept going into my local toy shop around Christmas 1979 expecting at any moment to find a line of Flash gordon figures on the shelves! I couldn't understand how we could get Battlestar Galactica figures and Buck Rogers but not Flash Gordon. Even The Black Hole got a line!

How are you planning to have the rocket cycle made - 3d printed on a site like Shapeways or printed off by a customiser? I would be very interested in buying one.

Man, that Ming proto does look exceptional. For me as a kid the movie was always a little TOO camp (and it was really only the theme song that made it worth watching), but the figure looks so good I'm almost tempted to order anyway.

Back