1/6 Big Chief Studios - Flash Gordon (1980)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIG-Chief-Flash-Gordon-1980-Figures.jpg

https://news.toyark.com/2019/04/12/...-flash-gordon-figures-and-collectibles-342147

BRING THE MING, baby!!! Ming is really cool. Makes me want to do a Dungeons & Dragons wizard bash or something. All sorts of possibilities.

You don't even need a shelf as Ming would be a great stand alone figure. A General Klytus would look cool too with that gold and black Dr Doom get up.

Totally. I will definitely get Ming.

We'll see if the others ever transpire. I'm not sure this has much appeal at $260 a figure.

I would absolutely get Klytus as he was my fav villain in this movie. I hope they give you a swap-out mask with his tongue and eyes bulging out! He's the Toht of Flash Gordon. :lol

I'd also get Kala... just creepy-ass sexy.

I would absolutely get Klytus as he was my fav villain in this movie. I hope they give you a swap-out mask with his tongue and eyes bulging out! He's the Toht of Flash Gordon. :lol

:lol. Good thinking. You’re right!

Hopefully they detail Ming’s ring

This film is a cult classic

I mean QUEEN did the music for it :wink1:

I could go for a Flash Gordon shelf. Man, will it be colorful.

As usual for me, I think I'd stick to the villains mostly, but I would be highly tempted by Vultan and maybe even Barin and Dale in that crazy orange concubine outfit.

Barin and Vultan spend the first half of the movie as villains so technically that still works.

Barin and Vultan spend the first half of the movie as villains so technically that still works.

Loved all the chief characters Dale, Baron, Vultan, Zarkon, Cletus, Gen what’s her name and aurora( think that was name, ming’s Daughter )

Would like to see a whole figure line of the cast

Loved all the chief characters Dale, Baron, Vultan, Zarkon, Cletus, Gen what’s her name and aurora( think that was name, ming’s Daughter )

Would like to see a whole figure line of the cast

I'm with you! I want 'em all! I even want some of the guards. The red ones that are supposed to look like football players who only appear during the "go Flash, go!" Football scene would be great...the ones in the long black robes with the hoods and WWII style gas masks would be awesome too.

I'm with you! I want 'em all! I even want some of the guards. The red ones that are supposed to look like football players who only appear during the "go Flash, go!" Football scene would be great...the ones in the long black robes with the hoods and WWII style gas masks would be awesome too.

Those guards were the best especially making that weird squeaking noise when they got killed

You guys down for alternate outfits for these

Those guards were the best especially making that weird squeaking noise when they got killed

You guys down for alternate outfits for these

Yup...I loved that they had literal "hand" guns...as in hand held guns that fired actual hands...good for choking and flipping people into the sand. Big YES to alternate outfits...add Flash in his brown slacks and white "Flash" t-shirt for a third variant!

Interesting they need to gauge interest for a Thirteenth Doctor yet these are a go. Guess it’s the difference in licensing fees eh?

Also interesting that if it weren’t for Star Wars we probably never would have got this version of Flash - and if Lucas had won the rights to Flash we may never have got SW!

Interesting they need to gauge interest for a Thirteenth Doctor yet these are a go. Guess it’s the difference in licensing fees eh?

Also interesting that if it weren’t for Star Wars we probably never would have got this version of Flash - and if Lucas had won the rights to Flash we may never have got SW!

It makes sense when you consider this was a one shot film that was never explored again . When you compare to the DR Who franchise which is still ongoing and a well established production company. Of course it’s probably a licensing issue. The Studio probably wants a big payoff and exclusive contract for the new season merchandise for DR WHO

Also interesting that if it weren’t for Star Wars we probably never would have got this version of Flash

Could you further elaborate on that?
Thanks!

Boy those were the 70-80s... Sexy, nihilistic and over-the-top movie if there was ever one...
I am not knowledgeable about the flick, but it still holds up well in it shroud of nonsensical fun and coolness... and the music... oh boy the music...
m.

Could you further elaborate on that?
Thanks!

Boy those were the 70-80s... Sexy, nihilistic and over-the-top movie if there was ever one...
I am not knowledgeable about the flick, but it still holds up well in it shroud of nonsensical fun and coolness... and the music... oh boy the music...
m.

George Lucas tried to get the rights to make a Flash Gordon movie but the rights holder, Dino De Laurentiis managed to stop him, Lucas then decide to make Star Wars. De Laurentiis saw how much Star Wars made and tried to cash in on the new Sci-Fi craze fast tracking Flash Gordon out in 1980, it didn't work out so well.

George Lucas tried to get the rights to make a Flash Gordon movie but the rights holder, Dino De Laurentiis managed to stop him, Lucas then decide to make Star Wars. De Laurentiis saw how much Star Wars made and tried to cash in on the new Sci-Fi craze fast tracking Flash Gordon out in 1980, it didn't work out so well.

Thanks mate.
The movie bombed back in the day?
I CAN'T SEE WHY!!!! ;-)
m.

Bit late to this thread just caught my eye....

Yea Ming looks amazing, spot on. Flash needs some work, looks a bit animated "cartoon" like. I hope they fix him up. Plus those joins, do we really need them?

Bit late to this thread just caught my eye....

Yea Ming looks amazing, spot on. Flash needs some work, looks a bit animated "cartoon" like. I hope they fix him up. Plus those joins, do we really need them?

Flash is not quite there. I agree the joints look a bit unsightly. So many seamless bodies available now. BC should really put Flash on a seamless body.

I'm not in on this figure but if I were I'd want the body as is. They have him posed with that sword, which if it were seamless almost no one would do for fear of it damaging the body and just have him in a museum pose. The arms (in this proto at least) look painted pretty well and it works IMO.

That Ming looks really nice, the soft goods look great.

Back