1/4: Hot Toys - QS009 - Batman Begins - Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cape and the gauntlets have really put me off this figure. I’ve been needing a begins suit for a while and wanted this to be it. But sadly it’s not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally i love how they did the gauntlets because thats how the movie prop was made. :)
Cape looks nice to me, seems they got the pattern and size correct.

The cape and the gauntlets have really put me off this figure. I’ve been needing a begins suit for a while and wanted this to be it. But sadly it’s not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cape is actually nice for what it is, It's far from junk like many HT capes. Nice material and weight, drapes well, very easy to attach. Only problem is you can't do those iconic Begins poses with the cape wrapped around his shoulders cloaking him. A custom cape would solve that pretty easily though. Since I have the Enterbay for that pose I don't think I'll bother with a custom for this figure.

This is Dean Knight's figure wearing the custom velvet cape he usually has on the Enterbay figure:

The gimmick with the gauntlets was a bad idea no doubt, but I can't see that area on mine unless I get really close.

The cape is actually nice for what it is, It's far from junk like many HT capes. Nice material and weight, drapes well, very easy to attach. Only problem is you can't do those iconic Begins poses with the cape wrapped around his shoulders cloaking him. A custom cape would solve that pretty easily though. Since I have the Enterbay for that pose I don't think I'll bother with a custom for this figure.

This is Dean Knight's figure wearing the custom velvet cape he usually has on the Enterbay figure:

The gimmick with the gauntlets was a bad idea no idea, but I can't see that area on mine unless I get really close.

As I mentioned thats how the movie prop was made. It wasn't a gimmick, they were just following the real suit. And thats great you can't see it unless you look really close. Its the same for the actual movie prop. most of the videos i have been seeing the owner was pretty sloppy handling the figure. But from the still photos Ive seen you can't really see the seams of the gauntlets.

As I mentioned thats how the movie prop was made. It wasn't a gimmick, they were just following the real suit. And thats great you can't see it unless you look really close. Its the same for the actual movie prop. most of the videos i have been seeing the owner was pretty sloppy handling the figure. But from the still photos Ive seen you can't really see the seams of the gauntlets.

I didn't know that about the real suit. Cool to know.

In a more dynamic pose, punching for example, you just have to manipulate the hand into the right position so it doesn't push the seams of the gauntlet out. I suppose in review videos with ultra bright lights shining on them it will show up any seam much more than it would when displayed. I prefer more subdued lighting on Batman figures as that is how you see him in the movies at night.

I didn't know that about the real suit. Cool to know.

In a more dynamic pose, punching for example, you just have to manipulate the hand into the right position so it doesn't push the seams of the gauntlet out. I suppose in review videos with ultra bright lights shining on them it will show up any seam much more than it would when displayed. I prefer more subdued lighting on Batman figures as that is how you see him in the movies at night.

Yeah, it was because the wrists of the gauntlet are pretty tight to the wrist and very hard to take off, so they made a removable panel so he could take them off easier between takes.

Personally i love how they did the gauntlets because thats how the movie prop was made. :)
Cape looks nice to me, seems they got the pattern and size correct.

Oh interesting! I didn't actually know that. Perhaps it doesn't translate very well to an action figure though, but it could also very well be one of those things where the owner just needs to handle and pose the figure "correctly". I'm hoping it doesn't cause too much of an issue when I eventually get mine.

Yeah, they looked pretty much like this. I bought mine from this guy's work in the pic who made these off the movie prop mold. They snapped in. Sadly, I sold mine off several years ago, but plan to get another pair soon. I still have the mangler, the utility belt, bat darts, cape, boots, torso and cowl. I just have no place to display them :(

They were fun times collecting the Begins suit. There were dozens of us obsessed with it and met some cool artists who made all the parts. They put so much work, time and effort getting everything movie accurate. Good times!! :)

Unnamed-14.jpg

Yeah, they looked pretty much like this. I bought mine from this guy's work in the pic who made these off the movie prop mold. They snapped in. Sadly, I sold mine off several years ago, but plan to get another pair soon. I still have the mangler, the utility belt, bat darts, cape, boots, torso and cowl. I just have no place to display them :(

They were fun times collecting the Begins suit. There were dozens of us obsessed with it and met some cool artists who made all the parts. They put so much work, time and effort getting everything movie accurate. Good times!! :)

View attachment 417088

Wow, thanks for posting! Cool to see how they really worked.

The thing with these Hot Toys ones is they don't clip shut like those. They are just held on via a couple of pieces of elastic making it hard to get them to look fully closed in some poses. This is with a bright light shining right at him. They could have been executed better but I don't see it bothering me much long term, I still barely notice any seem from regular viewing distance.

batman002.jpg

Wow, thanks for posting! Cool to see how they really worked.

The thing with these Hot Toys ones is they don't clip shut like those. They are just held on via a couple of pieces of elastic making it hard to get them to look fully closed in some poses. This is with a bright light shining right at him. They could have been executed better but I don't see it bothering me much long term, I still barely notice any seem from regular viewing distance.

View attachment 417090

man he looks awesome!!!! :) :)

yeah hardly can see the seams. i think it looks great. they don’t losen at all as he’s just standing there, correct? they hold in place?

man he looks awesome!!!! :) :)

yeah hardly can see the seams. i think it looks great. they don’t losen at all as he’s just standing there, correct? they hold in place?

They don't loosen as he's just standing there no, the elastic is pretty strong. They will start to open as you move the arms or the hands within the gauntlet. Then you have to futz with the gauntlet again to get the seams as close together as you can. They can be a pain I'll admit. If they'd made them clip click shut it would have been better but it doesn't detract from the figure for me.

A quick shot of how they pull apart with the elastic.
20180711_054030.jpg

I might be in a minority but I think the cape is good as long as you don't mind it behind him. It's the right colour, length, and drapes really nicely. If you want to display him in the cloaked pose you need a custom, otherwise this one works well.

I want to have the full suit showing on this figure. I have the Enterbay for the cloaked look and can't imagine displaying both figures the same way.

I just don’t understand why the suit is so shiny. This could I guess be a knock out of the park but the fact that the suit is screen accurate just kills it.

I just don’t understand why the suit is so shiny. This could I guess be a knock out of the park but the fact that the suit is screen accurate just kills it.

It's not nearly as shiny as it looks, the camera for some reason exaggerates the effect. It's very much a satin rather than gloss finish. I might put a coat of gloss varnish on the gauntlets so they are more movie accurate and show that contrast with the suit.

Watching the movie again earlier the suit can be confusing. :lol Some scenes it looks matte all over apart from the gauntlets much like the EB figure, other times it appears matte except now the bat logo is almost glossy like the gauntlets and sometimes it appears satin all over like this HT figure.

I suppose you could put some matt clear cote on to remove any shine at all and have the finish closer resemble the EB.

How durable is the suit? It's probably hard to say now but do you think it will stand the test of time?

How durable is the suit? It's probably hard to say now but do you think it will stand the test of time?

Of course hard to say after two days, it feels 100x more durable than the EB suit that's for sure. Feels thicker but still articulates well, again unlike the EB. You can't avoid the suit creasing when bending the arms a lot but looking at screen caps the real suit moved the same way.

I wouldn't leave it in extreme poses for long periods of time, I don't with any of my figures. For photography purposes you can push it pretty hard and not feel its about to break. body and arms anyway, legs more limited.

Not 100% but it feels more PVC than rubber. I imagine it will hold up well for a long time as if well looked after.

Thankfully it's not a dust magnet either like some of the previous 1/6 scale figures. Nothing really clings to it.

The ratchet system in the arms should ensure they stand the test of time to.

It's bloody well made just as the QS001 is. I don't see how anyone will be able to fault HT on that score. The finish of the suit, accuracy of the cowl, likeness etc is of course more subjective and open to debate.

They don't loosen as he's just standing there no, the elastic is pretty strong. They will start to open as you move the arms or the hands within the gauntlet. Then you have to futz with the gauntlet again to get the seams as close together as you can. They can be a pain I'll admit. If they'd made them clip click shut it would have been better but it doesn't detract from the figure for me.

View attachment 417091

I might be in a minority but I think the cape is good as long as you don't mind it behind him. It's the right colour, length, and drapes really nicely. If you want to display him in the cloaked pose you need a custom, otherwise this one works well.

I want to have the full suit showing on this figure. I have the Enterbay for the cloaked look and can't imagine displaying both figures the same way.

oh I see, thats pretty cool.

I personally love the cape so far in the photos. they finally got it to look more movie accurate with the flocked side and the sheen inside. The real cape looks very much like this 1/4 figure.

View attachment 417091

The execution of the gauntlets look cheap and flimsy...surely they could have added an extra solid set as part of the accessories?

I'll be modding them so that there permanently closed.

oh I see, thats pretty cool.

I personally love the cape so far in the photos. they finally got it to look more movie accurate with the flocked side and the sheen inside. The real cape looks very much like this 1/4 figure.

I agree its pretty accurate apart from not being able to come around and cloak him. They really should have allowed that possibility. It's not a problem for me but I can see for those that don't have the EB figure they may want a custom cape to cover every pose.

matrix69 said:
The execution of the gauntlets look cheap and flimsy...surely they could have added an extra solid set as part of the accessories?

I'll be modding them so that there permanently closed.

If you do that mod I'd love to know you execute it. Might think about it myself but other than really easy stuff I'm never confident modding figures.

Back