You should be ashamed SS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS's Marvel line definitely has the most "wow" pieces but with the obvious exception of Captain America the characters themselves just aren't as cool as those from SW and LOTR.

I don't care how majestic Dr. Doom looks sitting on his chair, he's still just "Dr. Doom" for crying out loud. Symbols are never greater than the thing they symbolize so the quality of the source material is critical. There hasn't been a Dr. Doom story (or any comic book story) in history that can compare to the LOTR novels, movies, or SW movies (well the OT and ROTS anyway.)

The degree of difficulty is also much lower for the comic based Marvel pieces since we can't scrutinize them compared to their "real life" counterparts.

The Marvel line is certainly awesome but that's why I ultimately decided to pass on great pieces like Iron Man when it was available and most recently the Incredible Hulk. If I'm paying $250-$1000 for a statue it darn well better do more than just look cool, it needs to also mean more to me on the basis of what it represents.

Khev said:
SS's Marvel line definitely has the most "wow" pieces but with the obvious exception of Captain America the characters themselves just aren't as cool as those from SW and LOTR.

I don't care how majestic Dr. Doom looks sitting on his chair, he's still just "Dr. Doom" for crying out loud. Symbols are never greater than the thing they symbolize so the quality of the source material is critical. There hasn't been a Dr. Doom story (or any comic book story) in history that can compare to the LOTR novels, movies, or SW movies (well the OT and ROTS anyway.)

The degree of difficulty is also much lower for the comic based Marvel pieces since we can't scrutinize them compared to their "real life" counterparts.

The Marvel line is certainly awesome but that's why I ultimately decided to pass on great pieces like Iron Man when it was available and most recently the Incredible Hulk. If I'm paying $250-$1000 for a statue it darn well better do more than just look cool, it needs to also mean more to me on the basis of what it represents.

This is the reason i'm into Marvel...they represent my childhood heroes...I never was into male to male hobbit love....:lol :monkey5

Shai Hulud said:
This is the reason i'm into Marvel...they represent my childhood heroes...I never was into male to male hobbit love....:lol :monkey5

But you have to wonder about some of those superheroes in tights. :confused:

Yeah, and what's up with Hulk and Capt America in those boy shorts! I just realized where these fashonistas picked up the torn jean look! Blame it on Hulk!

P.S. Still love my PF Hulk though, if/when he arrives.

I do agree that a lot of these have to have some association. Perhaps if they hadn't botched the role of Dr. Doom in the FF movie, then I can see how kick-ass the PF is. Unfortunately, the movie tainted what possible kick-ass relationship Doom could have created. That's one reason I didn't buy a PF Vader --- Anakin was so whiny.

Now . . .compare that to badass Lurtz!

Have to admit, only 2 other superheroes could sway me to make that purchase: Capt America, and Thor. Also, as much as I have a strong association with Spiderman (especially growing up watching those 60's-70's cartoons), my need for a PF of him has waned because the current slate of movies has put him in a "too commercialized" status for me. That and the current PF didn't do anything for me.

Shai Hulud said:

... you have to admitt.. you're just as turned on by hairy feet as I am!!! :D

Let it never be said that b!tching and complaining doesn't yield positive results :D

Darth Loki said:
Let it never be said that b!tching and complaining doesn't yield positive results :D

Gandalf the White with two more on the way---- this must make you happy now, mmmm Darth Loki? Hope I can resist the urge to get into the LOTR PF's--- already started into the SW pf line.

Congrats! :gandalf_w

DarthNeil said:
Gandalf the White with two more on the way---- this must make you happy now, mmmm Darth Loki? Hope I can resist the urge to get into the LOTR PF's--- already started into the SW pf line.

Congrats! :gandalf_w

Neil, don't get your hands on Lurtz then. He's one of the more impressive PF's SS has ever done.

And yes, I'm thrilled right now. I hope we get all three announcements before the end of the year. Hopefully Gandalf will ship to us in Q1 of 2008.

Darth Loki said:
Neil, don't get your hands on Lurtz then. He's one of the more impressive PF's SS has ever done.

And yes, I'm thrilled right now. I hope we get all three announcements before the end of the year. Hopefully Gandalf will ship to us in Q1 of 2008.

I've looked at Lurtz....:uruk-hai But I'm holding on----- by my fingertips.

DarthNeil said:
I've looked at Lurtz....:uruk-hai But I'm holding on----- by my fingertips.

He is so awesome. He's really been growing on me lately too. I think I was just gaining more appreciation for the LOTR PF's I actually own since I didn't think I'd get another one for a while.

If you can find a deal on a regular, $250 or so, you should really jump on it.

Lurtz is one of the more amazing pieces I've ever seen. The last two years going to SDCC getting to see all the pieces he ranks up there.

I'd jump on it--- and then my wife'd jump on me. (and not in the good matrimonial way--- think meat cleaver :D )

You are all very evil...
I'm going to bed now before I do something silly--- like visit an E-bay auction or track down a certain Uruk-hai at an on-line store...

Evil.:ogat (I see you.)

Pimp it Rumi!

Lurtz definately is a must-have, no doubt about it. You might assume that the costuming is fairly simple - due to the relative size - but I assure you close-up it is as good as I have seen.

:cool:

Back