White actors taking roles from people of color .......(of course)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recalled Arsenio Hall complains that Star Trek have a brother's face all messed up as Worf and another blind as Geordi La Forge, was funny. Star Trek improved much, although Arsenio Hall can't be all credited. The point is, it's ok to complain/criticize. To some point, Hollywood have the most diversity in the world.

Somebody having a manic episode

Are you referring to some of the people who posted in the ghostbusters thread? Because how it read, it seemed like they were having a total meltdown. Seriously. Did you comment on the the postings in THAT thread?

This Matt Damon movie that I've never heard of has mythical monsters etc and the most unbelievable thing to you is that there's a white guy in the movie? It's a dumb fantasy movie not a historical documentary... If they make a film about Dr. Martin Luther King and Matt Damon get the part of Dr. King then I'd see your point

So as long as it's at least semi-mythical/fantasy then whitewashing is ok. Got it. So then why people were so upset when a black girl was cast to fly around on a jet pack in the 1940s? Or a black girl to be a superhero in a hi tech suit of armor? Why were they so upset- it was just fantasy?

And what about films that arent semi-mythical or fantasy or whatever you want to call it?

I just don't see how having a Matt Damon in a movie is a racist white washed thing...isn't it just as racist and ignorant to be angry that a white person is in a movie? Well I can't understand being actually angry I just think the difference has to do with the fact ironman and I guess rocketeer and ghost busters etc is because those are established characters that are fresh in people's minds and so there is like a set mental image of what people see the character as. 90% of the movies on your list I have no idea who the characters are so I have no mental picture of what the character should look like. I'm not sayin that justify a racist comments about the casting choices of the characters you mentioned. Before you read that one article did any of these 100 year old or even 20 year old movie casting choices bother you?

Fair point about the establishmenet of the characters. I understand for many it's uncomfortable to change the character. But your point, if i understood correctly, was that this material was fantasy and reality (at least on the casting issue) should be suspended. But thats the exact opposite of what happened on this site regarding ghistbusters, IM, and rocketeer. Many comments were purely acerbic and nationalistic.

But the movies i listed only deal with the one form of whitewashing- white actors playing ppl of color. The Damon movie is different form of whitewashing- it's the injection of a white character that is created just to have a white character in the film. I knew about the first kind of whitewashing (i remember as a kid watching john wayne play ghengis khan). I just didnt know about the other kinds and that it was still going on.

And my other point was that many memebers on this site only validate discrimination against white men. Discrimination of other groups is mainly met with dismissal or ridicule. Those are the only instances when the issue of ANY discrimination has ever been raised here. And thats the only conclusion i can reach since this is the only thread to raise that issue of race and casting. And it was met with hostility.

Thats hostility?!? On this site?? I really hope youre kidding.

i could have started this thread with a hug and a kiss and im pretty sure the reactions would have been the same. How many people even read that line? It wasnt how i was saying anything. It was what i was saying. I doubt wrapping it up with what some consider pleasantries would have changed anyone's response.

I don't know man, I think the subject of "white washing" today is just a made up thing to give people a reason to be mad about something that isn't even a problem. Like the wage gap (which doesn't exist) argument. You're injecting your own anger and bias into these situations such as the Damon movie. You don't know that an Asian, Hispanic, black etc actor tried out for the part and the studio said "mwahahaha! Who cares who's best as long as they're white" or that the director said "you know what this movie needs? A white guy" maybe he said "people like Damon and they go to his films, I want him in this movie" we don't know.

Or that complaining about race not being represented is as racist as complaining about races being represented. Holding representation of race as a value is racist. /thread

You can make the argument that a black woman can be in a movie about 1940 America. Maybe she's a secretary, a nurse, a teacher (some of the stereotypes of the time for her demo). Whatever the role. Black women were at least THERE and THEN.

To argue a white man can be in 5th century China strains credulity at best, regardless if he was a mercenary, a butcher, a farmer, a dishwasher, a mechanic. He just doesnt fit. But he's in the movie anyway.

I would argue thats a great example of the third form of whitewashing in film- the insertion of a white actor where it doesnt fit or the character was created solely to place a white performer in the film.

Oh, blow it out your ass. History doesn't support a white farm boy living on Tatooine either.

Thats hostility?!?

Passive aggression is hostile.

I don't know man, I think the subject of "white washing" today is just a made up thing to give people a reason to be mad about something that isn't even a problem. Like the wage gap (which doesn't exist) argument. You're injecting your own anger and bias into these situations such as the Damon movie. You don't know that an Asian, Hispanic, black etc actor tried out for the part and the studio said "mwahahaha! Who cares who's best as long as they're white" or that the director said "you know what this movie needs? A white guy" maybe he said "people like Damon and they go to his films, I want him in this movie" we don't know.

:lol

Wage gap is an excellent comparison.

Last edited:
ali also denies actual science

Ali is doing nothing of the sort. Declaring that race is a social construct is an altogether different thing from remarking on the 'white washing' phenomenon, or the hypocrisy evident in some threads regarding gender and race.

Those who are not members of the hegemony experience race issues in a very different way from those who are. Perceived slights that seem inconsequential or insignificant to the dominant race or culture can easily be amplified in minority culture as they are often seen in the context of historical injustices endured over decades or centuries.

I don't think anybody is assuming that, that's a red herring. Two issues presented in this thread by Ali: the first is on the phenomenon of whitewashing in Hollywood, the second talks to the hypocrisy Ali has observed in the movie threads where some people appear troubled by some decisions apparently made on race grounds, but not others.

I'm a skinny straight white boy, I have no say in anything. But I did pump my fist at the clouds when Roland Deschain of Gilead was cast as a black guy.

Other than that, I'm not bothered by casting ethnicity in movies. Black chick being cast as The Rocketeer, eh it's dumb since the chance of a possible black female pilot was slim, but since the Rocketeer's outfit and Connelly looking hawt were the only good things about the original flick, who cares?

I don't think anybody is assuming that, that's a red herring. Two issues presented in this thread by Ali: the first is on the phenomenon of whitewashing in Hollywood, the second talks to the hypocrisy Ali has observed in the movie threads where some people appear troubled by some decisions apparently made on race grounds, but not others.

This.

It's also funny that i read none of these criticisms in the other movie threads. No one was accused of being angry. No one was told race is made up. No one was told thats the way of the world. No was was told they were "attacking" people or was being "hostile". No one was told "who cares". At least not any or the pages of posts that i read.

So i ask again- Does anyone have any evidence regarding alleged casting discrimination that does not involve white males as the alleged victim? Are there any threads like that on this site? Please show them to me. How about a few postings? Do you have ANY posts that deal with that?? Please show them to me. Does anyone have any information, evidence, or proof that might counter my theory?

So Lejuan, Ali, what do you want us to do about it? I'm native American and don't share the same complaints as you two.

That being said, I think you guys just want to debate someone. Why else would this behavior continue when there is clearly no resolve. Projecting anger onto your fellow board members isn't a way to enact change. Nor is it successful and furthering your preferred narrative.

So just tell us what you want and let's all move on/thread.

Last edited:
So Kenyan, Ali, what do you want us to do about it? I'm native American and don't share the same complaints as you two.

That being said, I think you guys just want to debate someone. Why else would this behavior continue when there is clearly no resolve. Projecting anger onto your fellow board members isn't a way to enact change. Nor is it successful and furthering your preferred narrative.

So just tell us what you want and let's all move on/thread.

This is an open discussion isnt it?

Since when do discussions get closed becasue "clearly there is no resolve"? Cant we just discuss it? how do you know theres no resolve unless you talk about something? What would happn in the world if everyone followed what youre advocating?

Your post falls into the traditional reaction category of dismissal. Your post also falls into the additional reaction category of accusation of hostility. You are the third member accusing me of being angry or hostile on this subject. Ive never been accused of that in other threads. Ive been nothing but polite on this thread. Sarcastic, yes. Hostile, no. But thats how you feel and youre entitled to feel how you want.

Back