White actors taking roles from people of color .......(of course)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They take back your Phi Beta Kappa key?

Get thrown out of the national honor society?

So this was fun.

I raised the issue of whitewashing in movies, a casting practice that almost exclusively benefits white actors. I offered several forms of the practice along with specific instances in specific films where it occurred. I also noted the practice was pervasive and ongoing. Examples were provided to support the same.

I also posited the theory that many on this site are sympathetic only to alleged discrimination where white men are the victim. I offered the three other threads where alleged discrimination was raised: the ghostbusters thread, the ironman thread, and the rocketeer thread. In all three threads, a white male character was replaced with another character who was not a white male. No threads involving any other form of alleged discrimination or victims of discrimination had been created on this site.

I asked for any information, evidence, or proof that this theory was incorrect. No one offered anything.

Some actually discussed the issue of whitewashing.

No one raised the obvious response that Ernie Hudson is not a white male.

No one addressed the issue of hypocrisy. The same remains unchallenged despite numerous requests for examples or information.

On both subject matters, many reactions can be grouped into three categories: dismissal, attempt at ridicule, or accusation of hostility. The same reactions cannot be observed in the threads were white males were the victims of alleged discrimination, further supporting theory of hypocrisy outlined above.

So don’t forget to read Michaelson, chapters 4 and 5. And I’ll be in my office on Wednesday, not Thursday. :rotfl

If Black Panther was cast as a white dude, you'd hear plenty of complaints. And I know things like that have been discussed before, I just don't recall the specific threads.

Discussion is one thing, Ali. But wanting others to convert to one's own idealology, thats what you seem to want. All behavior has function. It seems you want more than discussion. Mere discussion happens here all the time. Yet pushing for something you know you won't get (changing others perceptions radically) is senseless. You seem to be trying to fit everyone's responses neatly into the "oppressive box" so that your preferred narrative, which is that we all here apparently ignore diversity, is solidified. I get it now. you found some source of meaning which has been exciting for you. I get the passionate defending of this ideaology. But acting like Don Quixote...fighting battles that really weren't here on forums to begin with, is counterproductive to your stay on SSF.

powerrangers.gif

So Lejuan, Ali, what do you want us to do about it? I'm native American and don't share the same complaints as you two.

That being said, I think you guys just want to debate someone. Why else would this behavior continue when there is clearly no resolve. Projecting anger onto your fellow board members isn't a way to enact change. Nor is it successful and furthering your preferred narrative.

So just tell us what you want and let's all move on/thread.

I don't think you even know what my complaint is. Projecting anger? No.

I probably shouldn't have put Lejuan in the same post as Ali. Both had similar points but Lejuan's wasn't nearly as pathological

Back