Which statue version represents a major characters best? Film or Comic?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which version do you think best represents a major character

• Comic version man! It's where it all started

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • Film Version man! It's is more universally known then Comics

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just want the Best looking statue. I don't care if it's from the comics or films.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I only collect Film statues / I only collect Comic statues

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
I'm divided.

The comic version PF of Captain Amerca is awesome and blows the movie one out of the water.

But when it comes to Iron Man, I really love the design of his suit in the movies. Hence, I have the 1:1 bust.

So I'd want to say that the comic versions are the best, but when it comes to it - it's down to each and every piece/character.

if you set the poll here, in a toy forum, no doubt the comic version will win out. toy collectors are largely also comics geeks at heart.

but if you count yourself less of a comic geek, and more of a movie geek, then a movie statue would look more appealing than its comic counterpart. you set this poll up in a movie site, i'm quite convinced you would get a different result.

the thing is, even in comic they cant make up their mind about which version is to be THE version. costumes and designs keep changing over times. each artist has his own interpretation of how the character should look like, each offers his take on the story. so what's a movie version but another interpretation? a more realistic interpretation.

let's be honest now, some of the original, or even updated/redesigned, comic costumes just look silly.

i really dont like the ironman & hulk in the classic avenger setup, thor & capt looks good.

tights-wearing ironman can be replaced with this guy, but you still stuck with the frankenstein hulk.

Iron-7-1.jpg
this is one of the most overrated piece around imo. the costume design is just busy and all over the place. and for the armor to be that skinny, tony stark has to be an anorexic. i also love how the armor could bend around the torso like it's made of spandex. the legacy maquette is the best option to display alongside cap and thor comic/movie pf.

in my mind it's like...
Days of Future Past, Kingdom Come, Age of Apocalypse, Dark Knight Returns, Earth/Paradise X, Batman Beyond, Marvel's The End books, 2099, Legion of Super Heroes, House of M, Ultimate Marvel Comics, Marvel Zombies...and Movies

Movie versions are no different than alternate realities. Some things can be presented cool on film because it's different concepts, but it aint the real thing. Just another version of the characters.
even the "real" things are no longer the real things. what is the real thing? the grey hulk? the superman who can only leap tall buildings but cant fly? what comic geeks consider canon is actually a cumulation and amalgamation of many different artist interpretations throughout the decades(some cool, some crappy). the best superhero movie just distill that essence, and that's why i think the film interpretation can be just as pure as what you consider canon.

this is one of the most overrated piece around imo. the costume design is just busy and all over the place. and for the armor to be that skinny, tony stark has to be an anorexic. i also love how the armor could bend around the torso like it's made of spandex. the legacy maquette is the best option to display alongside cap and thor comic/movie pf.

i think it's good, much better than the flag holding ironman. The legacy sculpt movie ironman doesnt go together with the classic comic avenger statues, it will just look weird together :slap

i think it's good, much better than the flag holding ironman. The legacy sculpt movie ironman doesnt go together with the classic comic avenger statues, it will just look weird together :slap
if you're referring to the pf, i have to disagree. cap and thor look realistic there. they're also very buff. going by that two designs, ironman has to look just as buff to fit in. as it is, he already looks skinny with the armor on, and we can just imagine how much skinnier without.

i understand that ironman piece is much loved among collectors. if you love it more power to you. it's just one dude's opinion.

cr - I hope you know I find this to be a fun debate. I say that because I know sometimes the written word can come across wrong and I don't want you to think I am being a wise ass or anything.

Also I should state that I am by far a Movie fan first and then a Comic fan second.

if you set the poll here, in a toy forum, no doubt the comic version will win out.

I did think of that when I posted a poll. But really I tend to notice that most Freaks visit all over and not just the Marvel section. And Comic fan or not. If you want movie related comic statues then this is the section you are going to come to to talk about it.

toy collectors are largely also comics geeks at heart.

I know and that was my point in the other thread. The poster was asking which he should keep. I thought the PF best represented The Hulk. You thought that the film version would be more popular with masses. But we are not talking about the masses. We are talking about toy collectors who, as you said, tend to be comic fans also.

but if you count yourself less of a comic geek, and more of a movie geek, then a movie statue would look more appealing than its comic counterpart. you set this poll up in a movie site, i'm quite convinced you would get a different result.

I guess that since it was bearmodel who had asked the original question in the other thread, I was going on the fact that he was a comic fan also. I believe he collects Bowens also. That being the case I thought the Hulk PF was the way to go. I just can't see letting the PF go for the Avengers Maquette. The PF represents Marvel History. The Maquette represent a film. As far as asking the question at a movie site. Well Movie or not I am willing to bet more comic fans will own movie related comic statues then movie fans. But if you could only pick one statue then yes film fans who don't like comics would probably go for the film version over the comic version. I just tend to think, like you said before, it's the comic/film fan who has more of a chance to be into this hobby then just a movie fan. Of course I could be wrong.

But just look at what SS is doing with all their new DC products. All comic versions. If Reeves was the Superman everyone thinks of when they think Superman why not put that out?

the thing is, even in comic they cant make up their mind about which version is to be THE version. costumes and designs keep changing over times. each artist has his own interpretation of how the character should look like, each offers his take on the story. so what's a movie version but another interpretation? a more realistic interpretation.

This is true. Hell I myself prefer the modern Hulk. But even with all the different costums and such the History is all there. Think about how the Spider-man films screwed up so many great story lines with Spider-man 3. Would you really pick a movie version of that over the comiquette. Now I am sure that Avengers will be leaps and bounds better the SM 3 but it will still be limited to one film and not the history of the comics. Again this is talking to comic fans.

let's be honest now, some of the original, or even updated/redesigned, comic costumes just look silly.

True. I am not a fan of the way back when versions of our fav. heros. But I also think some of the Movie versions looks silly also. Such as Capt. America (Hate the new helmet), Spider-man (never looked right IMO), Green Goblin (blah), Superman returns (hated the new suit), The Thing in Fantastic Four as well as Doom, Many of the X-men fail in comparison to their comic versions.

cr - I hope you know I find this to be a fun debate. I say that because I know sometimes the written word can come across wrong and I don't want you to think I am being a wise ass or anything.
not at all. :) likewise, if i start to come across as a wiseass to you, do let me know. or maybe i already did. just cant tell sometimes.
Also I should state that I am by far a Movie fan first and then a Comic fan second.

I did think of that when I posted a poll. But really I tend to notice that most Freaks visit all over and not just the Marvel section. And Comic fan or not. If you want movie related comic statues then this is the section you are going to come to to talk about it.

I know and that was my point in the other thread. The poster was asking which he should keep. I thought the PF best represented The Hulk. You thought that the film version would be more popular with masses. But we are not talking about the masses. We are talking about toy collectors who, as you said, tend to be comic fans also.
i was just offering another perspective, but like you said, just buy for yourself. screw the masses.

I guess that since it was bearmodel who had asked the original question in the other thread, I was going on the fact that he was a comic fan also. I believe he collects Bowens also. That being the case I thought the Hulk PF was the way to go. I just can't see letting the PF go for the Avengers Maquette. The PF represents Marvel History. The Maquette represent a film. As far as asking the question at a movie site. Well Movie or not I am willing to bet more comic fans will own movie related comic statues then movie fans. But if you could only pick one statue then yes film fans who don't like comics would probably go for the film version over the comic version. I just tend to think, like you said before, it's the comic/film fan who has more of a chance to be into this hobby then just a movie fan. Of course I could be wrong.
i'm a movie fan. i have never read a single ironman or thor comic in my entire life. yet, now i have 4 mark suits based on the ironman films, and a thor movie pf coming. and i know of a few people who are very much into films, avoid comics like plague, and buy movie-based superhero statues & figures. so yeah, it's possible.

you said "The PF represents Marvel History. The Maquette represent a film." and i think you're only half right there. i think the pf and the maquette both represent marvel history. hulk pf represents the kirby hulk, and the hulk maquette will forever be associated with the first live action avenger film, and that alone is unprecedented in marvel history. the hulk maquette is also based on the best realized movie version of the character(if going by the reviews so far), so if you want the best rendition of a living breathing hulk, one who looks and moves and smashes so realistically for you to touch him, this is it; whereas the pf is based on a drawing, a static rendition. you display both hulks side by side and you would feel that difference.
But just look at what SS is doing with all their new DC products. All comic versions. If Reeves was the Superman everyone thinks of when they think Superman why not put that out?
i think ssc is doing a reeve superman also, or is that canceled? but i can think of couple of reasons why a manufacturer would prefer to make a comic based supes over reeve's - lack of money and lack of skills.

This is true. Hell I myself prefer the modern Hulk. But even with all the different costums and such the History is all there. Think about how the Spider-man films screwed up so many great story lines with Spider-man 3. Would you really pick a movie version of that over the comiquette. Now I am sure that Avengers will be leaps and bounds better the SM 3 but it will still be limited to one film and not the history of the comics. Again this is talking to comic fans.
i hate spidey 3. love spidey 2. and if we want to talk about comic history, remember that they're not always rosy either. spidey clones, anyone? comic history/continuity treated as bible can be a hindrance, simply because each artist could come in and tweak things for the worse. you look in the entirety of the spidey history, and how many issues can you honestly say are the best run? the best selling run is the mcfarlane's solo run, and that one is pleasing to the eyes but mcf cant write for ____.

the best films got it right. forget comic history! ignore history, just go for the essence. as long as you got the heart and soul right, everything else can be tweaked and perfected. i used to read miller's dkr once a year, and then nolan's dark knight showed up. and now i think nolan's dark knight is simply the best batman story. i also read that x-men fans think the xavier-magneto friendship explored in first class is much much better than the cannon in the comics. what does that mean? if the film can do better, let them. dont be a stickler to cannon. some characters have outgrown mere panels and drawings. you let them loose to breath new life on the movie screen, and it can be glorious. :wink1:

True. I am not a fan of the way back when versions of our fav. heros. But I also think some of the Movie versions looks silly also. Such as Capt. America (Hate the new helmet), Spider-man (never looked right IMO), Green Goblin (blah), Superman returns (hated the new suit), The Thing in Fantastic Four as well as Doom, Many of the X-men fail in comparison to their comic versions.
i hate all the things you hate above. but i also think that bold capital A on cap's forehead is silly, that thor should not put his fruit bowl on his head, that wolverine is not yellow. so i have to give props to the movie for giving context to that 'A' on cap's forehead, and for thor to put his fruit bowl back on the table where it belongs, and for wolverine to try black instead of yellow.

wolverine is not yellow. sorry guys. i dont care if the canon says so, but the canon is wrong.

It really depends for me on how I came to like a certain character. If it was from TV or a movie first, I may be more inclined to see that particular actor as the character more so than from comic. But if I started in on a comic, then in that case, comic.

not at all. :) likewise, if i start to come across as a wiseass to you, do let me know. or maybe i already did. just cant tell sometimes.

No you have been fine. I just did not want you to think I was attacking you since I started this thread because of a discussion we started to have on the other thread. All is cool. :)

i was just offering another perspective, but like you said, just buy for yourself. screw the masses.

100% agree

i'm a movie fan. i have never read a single ironman or thor comic in my entire life. yet, now i have 4 mark suits based on the ironman films, and a thor movie pf coming. and i know of a few people who are very much into films, avoid comics like plague, and buy movie-based superhero statues & figures. so yeah, it's possible.

I believe it is. I guess I was just thinking of the person who had interest in both and that chances are they would pick the comic version. I actually like Ironman film more then the comics. Never been a huge fan. And if I were to buy a statue of Ironman I would buy the Film Maquette version. But that is because the Ironman look is basically the same. That and like you have pointed out I have no vested interest in the character's comic history.

you said "The PF represents Marvel History. The Maquette represent a film." and i think you're only half right there. i think the pf and the maquette both represent marvel history. hulk pf represents the kirby hulk, and the hulk maquette will forever be associated with the first live action avenger film, and that alone is unprecedented in marvel history. the hulk maquette is also based on the best realized movie version of the character(if going by the reviews so far), so if you want the best rendition of a living breathing hulk, one who looks and moves and smashes so realistically for you to touch him, this is it; whereas the pf is based on a drawing, a static rendition. you display both hulks side by side and you would feel that difference.

First let me say that I am not a Huge fan of the PF Hulk. I think it's great and all but the Kirby face is not my fav. But when I look at that statue all I think of is HULK. The essence of Hulk is there. When I look at the Maquette (which looks for most part amazing) I think of the Avengers film. Just a "mind set" thing I guess. I also think I would find more Hulk essense if he was in a more dynamic hulk like pose. But again don't get me wrong I will get him if the price is not out of this world but I already own many other Hulk statues.

Also Art can also be much more dynamic. Look at that Joker PF coming out. I love The Dark Knights Joker but there is just no way a PF of that Joker could be as dynamic or have the essence of the Comic PF.

i think ssc is doing a reeve superman also, or is that canceled? but i can think of couple of reasons why a manufacturer would prefer to make a comic based supes over reeve's - lack of money and lack of skills.

I did not know about the Reeves Supes but I do think that SS is not hurting for lack of money or skill. They have done some really great sculpts of real actors. Good for the Reeves fans though if a Supes version of him is on the way.

i hate spidey 3. love spidey 2. and if we want to talk about comic history, remember that they're not always rosy either. spidey clones, anyone? comic history/continuity treated as bible can be a hindrance, simply because each artist could come in and tweak things for the worse. you look in the entirety of the spidey history, and how many issues can you honestly say are the best run? the best selling run is the mcfarlane's solo run, and that one is pleasing to the eyes but mcf cant write for ____.

Yeah Mcf was not the best writer but Man I loved his art. Thing is is that while all the stories are not the best they are still a part of a greater history and stay true to the origins. Spider-man really strayed in many ways. I love the second film also but really find the first film to be lacking and the 3rd to be awful.

the best films got it right. forget comic history! ignore history, just go for the essence. as long as you got the heart and soul right, everything else can be tweaked and perfected. i used to read miller's dkr once a year, and then nolan's dark knight showed up. and now i think nolan's dark knight is simply the best batman story. i also read that x-men fans think the xavier-magneto friendship explored in first class is much much better than the cannon in the comics. what does that mean? if the film can do better, let them. dont be a stickler to cannon. some characters have outgrown mere panels and drawings. you let them loose to breath new life on the movie screen, and it can be glorious. :wink1:

I believe the films can do somethings better. I love movies and love many of the comic films. I still feel that Marvel has yet to nail any of the characters perfectly and that most of the films (with the exception of Iron Man pt 1 and the a lesser degree The Incredible Hulk) have been lacking in one way or another. Thor was OK, Captin America was average IMO, X-men 2 is the best one but X-men one has not aged well at all, The Punisher films are awful, The first Hulk is just garbage IMO. Don't get me started on the Fantastic four.

Blade 1 and 2 are great also but I almost don't even count them as comic films.

I love the Nolan Batman films also. I love the story, which is good because I am not a big fan of either Bat suit. No way would I take a Nolan PF over a comic PF of Batman (assuming both sculpts were great)

i hate all the things you hate above. but i also think that bold capital A on cap's forehead is silly, that thor should not put his fruit bowl on his head, that wolverine is not yellow. so i have to give props to the movie for giving context to that 'A' on cap's forehead, and for thor to put his fruit bowl back on the table where it belongs, and for wolverine to try black instead of yellow.

wolverine is not yellow. sorry guys. i dont care if the canon says so, but the canon is wrong.

But the A is part of Captin America, Just like Purple pants are part of the Hulk. But I understand what you are saying. Like I said Personally I really don't like the movie version of cap's suit. The Thor PF will always be tops because they make Thor Huge. Film version is much smaller muscle was then the comic version.

I would also take the Yellow Comiquette Wolverine over any of the films looks. I do prefer the Brown outfit.

No matter how you look at it it come down to personal tastes. I enjoy comic films. I love Hulk and Batman comics. When I started collecting I only wanted film based statues. It was one of the reasons I got rid of my Hulk PF. I figured I would never get a Comic statue even if based on a film. But my love of the Hulk won and I loved that Hulk Comiquette.

And when this new Maquette comes out I will have no problem displaying him with either my other hulks or my movie collection. Which in that way makes him very cool.

Thanks Peedi & no worries at all, I'm all for comics canon. :duff
You should see what they've done to 616 Fury. :slap

:gah: is how I feel about what they did to Nick Fury. I'm glad my money didn't support that crap. That's why if it's not my normal comics, I skim.

But it was pointless. I guess they want a black Fury in 616 to match the movies so fans of the movie can pick up any comic and not be thrown off by a white Fury. But movie Fury is Ultimate comics Fury, and the Ultimate Comics have at least partially inspired every Marvel movie after X-Men, so it wasn't necessary to do that.

It's just a bad set of coincidences and bad storytelling that all of a sudden Fury has a dark skinned black son who doesn't look interracial in the least, who happens to be named Nick Fury, who happens to lose an eye just like his dad and now runs SHIELD, which hasn't been around for years.

And for any movie fans that pick up the comics, seeing a white Fury would've been the least of their problems anyway. The dozens of Avengers outside of Avengers Assemble they won't recognize might still throw them off. But I think movie fans would expect differences in the comics anyway, just like the conversion from novel to film. People are dumb, but they aren't that dumb to not know the movies change things.

The Classic Iron Man Armor utilizes tiny links like chain mail that are made basically by nanotechnology.It's sort of like a speidel watch band that flexes in all directions.The armor matches the wearers movements so that it ACTS like it is solid at all times, which it needs constant power to do, in order to retain it's rigidity. The highly flexible design is what allows it to conform perfectly to his physique as well as fit in a briefcase, all while offering plate armor rigidity while powered. It actually is a much higher tech concept than the newer armor. I believe that the armor utilizes a force field to provide protection. The design specs are in the Marvel Weapons Locker and the Marvel Universe.

refer to page 2

https://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/xmanalb/downloads/WeaponsLocker.pdf

Thanks. That actually makes the armor cooler. Maybe that's the thought behind the Heroic Age armor since it's (supposed to be) a lot sleeker.

even the "real" things are no longer the real things. what is the real thing? the grey hulk? the superman who can only leap tall buildings but cant fly? what comic geeks consider canon is actually a cumulation and amalgamation of many different artist interpretations throughout the decades(some cool, some crappy). the best superhero movie just distill that essence, and that's why i think the film interpretation can be just as pure as what you consider canon.

I think there is a difference though. In the case of Grey Hulk, that's something sill considered to have "happened" in the history of Marvel's main Hulk, unlike the Superman reference, which is considered to not have happened to the "current" New 52 Superman, who literally isn't "our" Superman anymore. But I see your point, canon changes A LOT anyway. Stories are ignored or altered all the time. Canon or not, it really is just different interpretations of the characters.

No you have been fine. I just did not want you to think I was attacking you since I started this thread because of a discussion we started to have on the other thread. All is cool. :)
not at all. all is cool. :)

I believe it is. I guess I was just thinking of the person who had interest in both and that chances are they would pick the comic version. I actually like Ironman film more then the comics. Never been a huge fan. And if I were to buy a statue of Ironman I would buy the Film Maquette version. But that is because the Ironman look is basically the same. That and like you have pointed out I have no vested interest in the character's comic history.

First let me say that I am not a Huge fan of the PF Hulk. I think it's great and all but the Kirby face is not my fav. But when I look at that statue all I think of is HULK. The essence of Hulk is there. When I look at the Maquette (which looks for most part amazing) I think of the Avengers film. Just a "mind set" thing I guess. I also think I would find more Hulk essense if he was in a more dynamic hulk like pose. But again don't get me wrong I will get him if the price is not out of this world but I already own many other Hulk statues.
yeah in the end it all comes down to mindset. for my money, i think the poses for both pf and maquette are also lacking somewhat, not 'hulk' enough.

Also Art can also be much more dynamic. Look at that Joker PF coming out. I love The Dark Knights Joker but there is just no way a PF of that Joker could be as dynamic or have the essence of the Comic PF.

I did not know about the Reeves Supes but I do think that SS is not hurting for lack of money or skill. They have done some really great sculpts of real actors. Good for the Reeves fans though if a Supes version of him is on the way.

Yeah Mcf was not the best writer but Man I loved his art. Thing is is that while all the stories are not the best they are still a part of a greater history and stay true to the origins. Spider-man really strayed in many ways. I love the second film also but really find the first film to be lacking and the 3rd to be awful.

I believe the films can do somethings better. I love movies and love many of the comic films. I still feel that Marvel has yet to nail any of the characters perfectly and that most of the films (with the exception of Iron Man pt 1 and the a lesser degree The Incredible Hulk) have been lacking in one way or another. Thor was OK, Captin America was average IMO, X-men 2 is the best one but X-men one has not aged well at all, The Punisher films are awful, The first Hulk is just garbage IMO. Don't get me started on the Fantastic four.

Blade 1 and 2 are great also but I almost don't even count them as comic films.

I love the Nolan Batman films also. I love the story, which is good because I am not a big fan of either Bat suit. No way would I take a Nolan PF over a comic PF of Batman (assuming both sculpts were great)
i agree wholeheartedly with your assessment on all the marvel films above. not a fan of either of nolan's batsuits also. the best batsuit on film so far, to me, is the one worn by dreiberg in watchmen. it was aesthetically wrong for dreiberg, but for bruce wayne it looks right.

But the A is part of Captin America, Just like Purple pants are part of the Hulk. But I understand what you are saying. Like I said Personally I really don't like the movie version of cap's suit. The Thor PF will always be tops because they make Thor Huge. Film version is much smaller muscle was then the comic version.

I would also take the Yellow Comiquette Wolverine over any of the films looks. I do prefer the Brown outfit.
there are defining characteristics in the look of an iconic superhero that you just must retain no matter silly they are. the bat must have his pointy bat ears, batcape, utility belt; hulk must be mean and green, etc etc. and for wolverine, the claws and the hair are his defining traits. for some reason the costume is never that iconic, at least to me. it's just not important enough.

characteristically speaking, someone like logan also would not be caught dead wearing something silly like that. it's not just the yellow, it's also the pointy knee-high boot and the pointy mask. it just feels out of character for logan to be okay wearing that(maybe prof x hypnotized him or something). i think it's about time for the comic to give logan something more fitting and appropriate because the current one is seriously out of date. so to me, if i were to buy one wolvie statue, it has to be from x-men origins, crappy film that it is.
No matter how you look at it it come down to personal tastes. I enjoy comic films. I love Hulk and Batman comics. When I started collecting I only wanted film based statues. It was one of the reasons I got rid of my Hulk PF. I figured I would never get a Comic statue even if based on a film. But my love of the Hulk won and I loved that Hulk Comiquette.

And when this new Maquette comes out I will have no problem displaying him with either my other hulks or my movie collection. Which in that way makes him very cool.
personal taste, agreed. doesnt matter what i or anybody else here say, as long as you're happy with your choice of hulk, that's all that matters. i hope you'll be thrilled with the new maquette. :)

It's just a bad set of coincidences and bad storytelling that all of a sudden Fury has a dark skinned black son who doesn't look interracial in the least, who happens to be named Nick Fury, who happens to lose an eye just like his dad and now runs SHIELD, which hasn't been around for years.
hahaha... that's how they explained the skin change? best origin ever.
I think there is a difference though. In the case of Grey Hulk, that's something sill considered to have "happened" in the history of Marvel's main Hulk, unlike the Superman reference, which is considered to not have happened to the "current" New 52 Superman, who literally isn't "our" Superman anymore. But I see your point, canon changes A LOT anyway. Stories are ignored or altered all the time. Canon or not, it really is just different interpretations of the characters.
i dont follow dc's 52. everything is interpretation once a character left the care of his/her original creators. and what is a movie but yet another interpretation? so to me if the best interpretation happens to be a movie, then that movie should be given more respect than canon.

I'm all for comic versions. They maintain the fantasy aspect that made me fall in love with the books in the first place. Comics are at their best in their own medium. While I can enjoy a flick based on the material, it always feels watered down, twisted around, and just plain alien to me.

Back