What do you do with your spare parts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechLife

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am new to Hot Toys, but not to collectibles. Anything I have collected in the past has pretty much required leaving it in the box if you ever wanted it to be worth anything. This is part of what led me to HT to begin with. I can't even express how excited I am to be able to take something out of the box! It's not that I have a habit of selling anything but still...

Anyway, I have looked through several galleries for display ideas and one thing I haven't noticed is what the heck you guys do with the spare parts?! They don't look very good sitting on the shelf IMO. I'm afraid to leave them in the box for fear of fading, cracking, melting, etc.

I know this may be a no-brainer to the veterans but we all have to start somewhere so I'd love to hear your ideas!

Thanks for humoring me :cuckoo:

Ziplock bags. All my boxes are stored away.
I had thought about that but was concerned with moisture. I had considered adding silica to the baggie but have read speculation that was causing some of the fading issues (Iron Man's pink panties). Also with them possibly rubbing against each other and getting scratched. Not that they would be handled but stuff does get moved and stuff happens. Maybe wrapped in a lens or microfiber cloth inside a ziplock? I just don't want to worry about the finish.

My boxes are very safely stored away. I'm super ocd about box condition. I have that covered.

Oh and welcome to the crack shack.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure this is worse though... I have 5 already, 3 on pre-order and actively looking for two more that are out of production. It's only been a month. LOL

Last edited:
Ziplock bags for me too. The fading issue with IM's knickers was most likely the result of a reaction that occurred due to the paint application onto that specific material, and in combination with being stored in a sealed container with a silica packet (speculated, but the pattern seems to be there). I don't think you need to be concerned about fading with other plastic parts, and equally I don't think you need to be so concerned about moisture that you include silica packets with parts stored in a ziplock bag.

Yeah this hobby is crazy. You entered at the right time. Everything is getting better and better. If you're OCD about stuff then maybe wrapping them would be best. Most parts are plastic, so i wouldn't worry that much about moisture. If they flex then they are probably PVC so those would have cause for concern. I'm not concerned about my stuff, just love having it. I'm a heavy costumizer so its all fair game to do what I want. If it breaks I fix it. If its scratched, I touch it up. That sort of thing. But this board's full of all types.

This is Denver Colorado. We don't have humidity. I wouldn't worry about any moisture. Been putting the spares in ziplocks for years. If you're that concerned with paint rubs, get the tiny ziplocks bags and separate them all, but as long as you aren't throwing the box full of parts around you won't have problems with broken or scuffed bits.

Personally, I find worrying about keeping everything in primo mint condition gets in the way of enjoying the items.

This is Denver Colorado. We don't have humidity. I wouldn't worry about any moisture.

Good point. I'm originally from the east coast where it's very humid. We've only been here for a couple years and I forget that really isn't a concern anymore...

I leave my unused parts in the box. I like the idea of leaving them in a ziplock bag because if I ever want to change anything I have to go up into my attic which is a pain.

If ive got a bunch of figures i need to cram them onto my shelves (well not cram, but they cant have their individual room to shine) i keep the spares in the box which i keep in the loft. If i have a bit of space enough to have 1 figure per shelf like i do at the moment i like to display everything

DSCF2510.jpg

DSCF2521.jpg

DSCF2580.jpg

ect

On most of my figures - I never even take the spare parts/accessories out of the tray. I just display with the basics.

I have two plastic pencil cases that I keep spare stuff in. One for weapons and hands, and the other for clothing.

I place all spare parts, except really big ones, in a separate box with foam so I can access them easy rather than tearing down hell to find the box I want, open it up, put it all back etc...

I have about 40 figures (been collecting for about six months :slap) so that works best for me. But with most of my figures, I have the accessories, like weapons and heads, displayed with the figure.

HT figure accessories are either with the figure or in their box.

Then for my customs, I got tons of extra hands, feet, clothes, weapons, wrist/feet pegs, neck posts, headsculpts, stands. Lying all over the place.

DSCF1472.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF1471.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF1473.jpg
[/IMG]

Back