People who live in humid climates, how do you store your figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegaglory1

Super Freak
Reaction score
For the collectors who live in the more humid parts of the world, how do you keep your collectibles pristine?

Humidity and heat play havoc with almost everything in the home, damaging card and paper as well as leading to mould.

Do you folks keep the air con on all day, or a dehumidifier running?

I have a bunch of things I’d like to buy on eBay but I’m wary of buying anything from abroad (Hong Kong, Japan) and receiving an item that’s been sitting in a humid home for years. Granted, most of our collectibles are manufactured in countries that are warm and humid but they’re usually stored in retail environments that are cool and dry.

Hope this is not a silly question. I live in the UK and we have pretty moderate weather. Family hails from Hong Kong and I’ve done my share of toy shopping whenever I have the chance to visit.

Last edited:
For the collectors who live in the more humid parts of the world, how do you keep your collectibles pristine?

Humidity and heat play havoc with almost everything in the home, damaging card and paper as well as leading to mould.

Do you folks keep the air con on all day, or a dehumidifier running?

I have a bunch of things I’d like to buy on eBay but I’m wary of buying anything from abroad (Hong Kong, Japan) and receiving an item that’s been sitting in a humid home for years. Granted, most of our collectibles are manufactured in countries that are warm and humid but they’re usually stored in retail environments that are cool and dry.

Hope this is not a silly question. I live in the UK and we have pretty moderate weather. Family hails from Hong Kong and I’ve done my share of toy shopping whenever I have the chance to visit.

I hope you don’t mind me saying this and I’m sorry if you do, but it does come out of genuine concern. I have similar fears and they’d definitely get ratcheted up if I went through what you have.

Have you spoken to anyone about this? I sympathize with what you’ve experienced but you seem to be stuck on it and there’s only so much talking to strangers online about it can do to help.

That said, it can be difficult to accept but we can never keep everything we have 100% pristine unless you keep them in a sealed and filtered clean room, decon everything, and wear head to toe coverings.

The best we can do are things like dehumidifiers, desiccant packets, air filters, climate control, washing hands and/or wearing gloves, and maintaining them.

I’m from Japan and have only been to Hong Kong once, but I believe the humidity during the summers are about the same. Humidity is not too bad the rest of the year depending on where you are.

I would say just roll the dice and buy the figures if you really want them. If the condition is really bad then return it. If you don’t want to take the chance, stick to figures being sold in more temperate climates.

You’re always taking a risk on older figures though since there’s no way to 100% know what’s happening in the box. And it might be being sold out of the US but that person might’ve just bought it from Singapore last month, for example.

Last edited:
I've heard the use of vinyl protector (like for cars) can help, and others have said baby oil. I don't do this, but if I were less lazy, I might.
I live somewhere cool and dry for 350 days of the year- but we still have climate control and a dehumidifier in the basement, so most of my stuff stays in good shape.

Even so, I've had a couple of vinyl pieces that are 15 or more years old, crack and peel. I guess it's just the nature of this stuff, which is why I don't keep things in box and try to enjoy it.

I find things from uk in worse condition than japan and hong kong, esp paper stuffs. Humid increases the rate of foxing on papers, items usually start to do this after 15 years. I wrap my carded figures or boxed games in plastic it only slows the process but not prevent it from happening.

You can throw dessicant bags in and seal them and hope for the best.
Eventually even items stored in dry places will suffer, just slower.

It has alot to do with the paper quality used. Comic books that have sleeves made of glossy paper will react with the pages. Rubber and plastic can leech. Running ac cost alot. I would try to seal off most openings and run a dehumidifier when my hygrometers shows above 70%.

If you buy used item check everything for mold. I have had pristine and moldy stuffs from japan so it depends on individuals. Toy shops usually have ac on but i have seen mold growths on display pieces.

Uk rains alot so humidity can be an issue.

Last edited:
I hope you don’t mind me saying this and I’m sorry if you do, but it does come out of genuine concern. I have similar fears and they’d definitely get ratcheted up if I went through what you have.

Have you spoken to anyone about this? I sympathize with what you’ve experienced but you seem to be stuck on it and there’s only so much talking to strangers online about it can do to help.

That said, it can be difficult to accept but we can never keep everything we have 100% pristine unless you keep them in a sealed and filtered clean room, decon everything, and wear head to toe coverings.

The best we can do are things like dehumidifiers, desiccant packets, air filters, climate control, washing hands and/or wearing gloves, and maintaining them.

I’m from Japan and have only been to Hong Kong once, but I believe the humidity during the summers are about the same. Humidity is not too bad the rest of the year depending on where you are.

I would say just roll the dice and buy the figures if you really want them. If the condition is really bad then return it. If you don’t want to take the chance, stick to figures being sold in more temperate climates.

You’re always taking a risk on older figures though since there’s no way to 100% know what’s happening in the box. And it might be being sold out of the US but that person might’ve just bought it from Singapore last month, for example.
If you buy dessicated bags get those with color indicators. I noticed some bags already full out of vacuum sealed packing had to dry it i the oven to turn them blue, and they turn pink after sometime in zipper bags with air squeezed out.

Imo if the area is near the sea humidity will be over 70%. anything over 50% is high.
I believe used toy shops in japan check the conditions carefully than western countries.

Also uvc bulbs to disinfect inner box which is hard to do with wiping but wear shades and sleeves.

I've heard the use of vinyl protector (like for cars) can help, and others have said baby oil. I don't do this, but if I were less lazy, I might.
I live somewhere cool and dry for 350 days of the year- but we still have climate control and a dehumidifier in the basement, so most of my stuff stays in good shape.

Even so, I've had a couple of vinyl pieces that are 15 or more years old, crack and peel. I guess it's just the nature of this stuff, which is why I don't keep things in box and try to enjoy it.
I read about aerospace 303 or other alternatives like meguiar's hyper dressing vs armor all.

Back