Weta Coming Back To Middle Earth

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone,

We have just returned to New Zealand after an incredibly exciting time at Comic Con. We wanted to share some background information with you, which I hope will help explain some of the the things Weta are doing.

Firstly, I want to sincerely thank all of you for all your comments on this forum, both positive and negative. We think it's absolutely wonderful there are so many passionate LOTR collectors out there who want to express their views on this forum. We really do appreciate your feedback and criticism. Please keep it coming !

LOTR License

At the time of the movie trilogy, Weta could only afford to get one license for LOTR merchandise. As you well know, this was the range of polystone collectibles that became so popular. We really enjoyed sculpting them and we hope you enjoyed collecting them (our staff collect them as well !)

Since the premiere of The Fellowship of the Ring, we have received countless requests for all sorts of other authentic props / weapons / costumes / collectibles from the movies. We would have loved to have met all these requests, however we have had to bide our time and be patient until other licenses have expired.

The opportunity has now come for Weta to return to Middle Earth. And we are very excited to be able to start offering a wider range of LOTR art and merchandise, for both collectors with higher budgets and those with lower budgets (like most of us !). We are very grateful to the kind folks at Warner Bros for providing us with this opportunity.

Our new license was only finalised 2 days before the start of Comic Con. So it was a mad rush to get the first few products out on display in San Diego.

We understand and sympathise with some of you that some of these products were priced at the higher end of the spectrum, and there were not enough products at the lower end of the price spectrum. Fair enough.

I can assure you there will be more LOTR products coming at the lower end of the spectrum. We just did not have enough time after the license was finalised to prepare these for launch. It takes much more time to launch higher volume products (where 3rd party manufacturers are involved), than it does to launch low edition, made to order products (which we can just create in the Weta Workshop).

Also, we want to consult with collectors to listen to your preferred product categories for more affordable collectibles. For example: please feel free to join the voting poll at the Shadow and Flame forum which started today, https://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33592, or start your own poll. We want to hear your suggestions and ideas.

Why have we launched products at the higher end of the price spectrum ?

There have been many, many LOTR licensed products launched at the mass market over the last several years. However there have been very few highly authentic, fine art items, created by the original artists, available for those customers with higher budgets.

We have been receiving requests from these customers since the launch of the Fellowship of the Ring. And they have been left unfulfilled for several years. So we are simply trying to meet this unfulfilled customer demand. In doing so, there is no intent to disparage or ignore customers with lower budgets. We are sorry if some of you felt disappointed. This was certainly not our intention.

Over the next 6 months, we will be launching more products at both the higher end and the lower end. Please note some of our products will have to be limited by sales territory (as per our license) to New Zealand only. Sorry about this, but it is a requirement of our license.

Pricing of Swords / Cloak

Some of you have questioned the pricing of our LOTR swords and Gandalf the Grey Cloak.

I do not intend to tell you how to think. Everyone is entitled to their view. However please take the following points into consideration...

These swords are individually hand crafted by Peter Lyon at Weta Workshop. Peter has been making swords for 20 years. He crafted the original hero swords for LOTR, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Last Samurai, Indiana Jones (and we hope will create the hero swords for The Hobbit). In our view, he is the leading swordsmith in the movie world. We consider his swords to be the fine art of a Master Swordsmith. His swords are made using old world techniques. They are crafted in the same blacksmith where Peter created the originals. These are not factory made swords made to look nice for display. These are bladed weapons made for sword fighting. The weight distribution is finely tuned for skillful use in battle. It takes Peter 3-4 weeks to craft one sword. They are made with the same dedication, passion and attention to detail, which Weta applies to all our projects, whether they be movies, TV, collectibles, public art, etc. Please see the video of how the swords are made here : https://www.wetanz.com/want-to-see-a-master-swordsmith-at-work/

The Gandalf the Grey Cloaks are created by our friends at Stansborough in New Zealand https://https://www.stansborough.co.nz/sb/index.cfm. They are exact replicas of the original, made from the same wool, from the same breed of sheep, from the same farm as used for the original cloaks. It took over 10 years to create this special wool breed of unique grey sheep known as the 'Stansborough Grey' and now they are the only kind in the world. The wool is spun and then woven on 1890’s looms at the Stansborough Weaving Mill. These are not factory made garments. They are artisan crafted cloaks, made to order by a small family run business, and totally authentic to the original worn in the movies.

The Art of John Howe - Sculptures from Middle-earth

This is a personal project for both John Howe and Richard Taylor. They have been planning these sculptures for 10 years. John has long dreamed of taking his two dimensional art into a three dimensional sculptural form. Please read the sample excerpts from the book which comes with the sculpture here https://www.wetanz.com/assets/pdf/johnhowebook/JohnHoweBookWebEdit.html. The license comes from the lovely people at Tolkien Enterprises.

Each sculpture took approx 26 weeks to sculpt under the art direction of John Howe and guidance from Richard Taylor (The coins which make up Smaug's treasure were placed individually, one by one). Casting these sculptures in bronze will be a highly complex artistic process in it's own right.

We hope to shortly announce that these sculptures will also be available in a more affordable faux bronze. We were unable to announce this before Comic Con, as we needed to finalise a few points in the license.

The choice of bronze and faux bronze is both an artistic choice (by John and Richard) and a requirement of our license.

Summary

Weta is first and foremost a creative company. We are owned and led by highly creative people. Rightly or wrongly, we have a relentless pursuit for creative perfection, whether it be our movies, TV shows, fine art, collectibles, public art displays, charity work, private commission, etc. We are just as happy creating art for customers with lower budgets, as we are for customers with higher budgets. It is the creative journey which gets us excited, not the price point. Hopefully you can see the results in our work.

So please do not expect us to behave as other companies do. We will do our best to meet your expectations, just as we do our other customers. However we will always prefer to be original and authentic, rather than fit in with the norms of the market. Sometimes we will get it right, and sometimes not.

The intention of my note is not to try and tell you what to think. I just want to provide you with some background information to consider.

Please keep giving us your feedback and suggestions

And keep up to date with our latest news by signing up for our free newsletters here https://www.wetanz.com/insideweta/newsletter

Kind regards

Tim from Weta

PS : Sorry about the very long note !

Good. Bring on the rest of the 1/6 statues that we missed! ...or can you not make those anymore???
We needed an Eomer! :mad:

Good. Bring on the rest of the 1/6 statues that we missed! ...or can you not make those anymore???

1/6 scale statues are not part of the renewed license, so no, they can't make them any more.

One assumes and hopes that, that will be limited to the LOTR line and new deals will be made for The Hobbit when the time comes.

i want dioramas... i really want dioramas...that's pretty much the only thing aside from 1/6 scale figs that i can fit into my display room...its already packed as it is...but at least i can interchange them...

dioramas please...

The Art of John Howe - Sculptures from Middle-earth

This is a personal project for both John Howe and Richard Taylor. They have been planning these sculptures for 10 years. John has long dreamed of taking his two dimensional art into a three dimensional sculptural form. Please read the sample excerpts from the book which comes with the sculpture here https://www.wetanz.com/assets/pdf/johnhowebook/JohnHoweBookWebEdit.html. The license comes from the lovely people at Tolkien Enterprises.

Each sculpture took approx 26 weeks to sculpt under the art direction of John Howe and guidance from Richard Taylor (The coins which make up Smaug's treasure were placed individually, one by one). Casting these sculptures in bronze will be a highly complex artistic process in it's own right.

We hope to shortly announce that these sculptures will also be available in a more affordable faux bronze. We were unable to announce this before Comic Con, as we needed to finalise a few points in the license.

The choice of bronze and faux bronze is both an artistic choice (by John and Richard) and a requirement of our license.
Kind regards

Tim from Weta

Thanks Tim for taking the time to clarify in detail your licencing decisions and the reasons behind those decisions. I am, however, curious as to the decision/reasoning behind making bronze and faux bronze statues based on John Howe's artwork, but not colour versions. Was there an opportunity to seek after a "colour version" licence through Tolkien Enterprises or was this never an option. Or did this have more to do with John Howe's vision/insistence?

I have seen this quote found in the the preview of the book that is included with the bronze versions where John Howe states:

"Richard and I quickly agreed that we wanted the sculptural qualities of these statues to come first and foremost, and decided that there would be no polychrome painted versions, nothing to distract from the sculpture itself...."

I just find the statement a bit curious as I don't see how a colour statue based on colour artwork would be distracting to the sculpture itself. As I have already stated at S&F, I love the Eowyn and the Nazgul sculpt, but the only thing I find distracting or annoying about it in a bronze finish [at least from the pic's] is it's not easy to pick out Eowyn within the sculpt itself. I am sure this is not an issue with the actual in hand statue, but I don't see this piece as being particularly "picture friendly" whereas a colour version certainly would be moreso.

Last edited:
Woodsy are you causing trouble again, honestly.......:rolleyes: I mean seriously!!:rotfl
People on these forums are always giving out about stuff..........:rolleyes:
You know, getting angry cos they miss out on Exs and voicing stronger than necessary opinions etc etc, its enough to turn one's hair grey, :gandalf

I wouldn't dream of it myself..........:naughty

Woodsy are you causing trouble again, honestly.......:rolleyes: I mean seriously!!:rotfl
People on these forums are always giving out about stuff..........:rolleyes:
You know, getting angry cos they miss out on Exs and voicing stronger than necessary opinions etc etc, its enough to turn one's hair grey, :gandalf

I wouldn't dream of it myself..........:naughty

:lol Based on the amount of grey hair I myself have, I can find no fault in your observations.....:naughty

And I think it goes without saying that you could never be guilty of these things.....:rotfl :naughty

Thanks Woodsy, we appreciate your interest.

I guess it's just a question of artistic taste. For the fine art sculpting purist, bronze is often considered the ultimate material to express a sculptor's skills. All the detail, motion and subtlety is bare and open for all to see. There is no where to hide. Some people would say great sculptures don't need painting.

When you paint a sculpture, it is possible to cover up inferior work and distract the attention away from the actual sculpting. A good paint job can turn an average sculpture into a reaonably good one. Painting is another skillset altogether.

In this particular case, it was John and Richard's preference to opt for bronze. John wanted to capture a 19th century fine art style.

Of course, art is in the eye of the beholder, so it's not a matter of right or wrong. This was simply the artist's choice on this particular project.

We hope you like them. However we also respect your preference for a painted style.

Sir Tristram,

Unfortunately, our license does not include 1/6 scale statues. It does include miniature shields / helmets / weapons / crowns / characters and buildings / environments. Please let us know your preferences

Kind regards

Tim

Tim,

Thank you for your thoughtful and measured reply to our emotional and frenzied initial response.

I am very glad that there will be a more affordable faux bronze line from John Howe's visions of ME as it seemed to me a huge waste to have such artisitic vision and talent be limited to 30 pieces in the world.

I am a bit concerned about how some pieces would be limitied to New Zealand. As I'm sure you appreciate, most of your fan base is not in New Zealand but outside it.

I am a big fan of the mini helm line from SSW and planned on continuing in that vein with the crowns and shields. However, it would be rather disappointing to find that certain pieces in the line only being released in New Zealand. Would you be able to give some more detail and examples of this type of licensing restriction please?

Thanks

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Our license for miniature shields / helmets / weapons / crowns / characters and buildings / environments will be open for sales on a global basis. As are all the other products we have recently launched.

We will be launching some other LOTR products soon, which will be limited to New Zealand sales only (sorry, we can't announce these yet). We would have liked to sell these on a global basis, but our license has been restricted to New Zealand.

Please understand that licenses for Middle-earth related merchandise are a highly complicated business for both licensors and licensees, so we are not always able to sell what and where we would like.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Just wondering if you can clear up exactly what "miniature characters" means.

Technically, anything but full size is miniature, but with 1/6 scale characters out, does that include anything polystone, be it 1/6, 1/4, 1/9, etc.

Does it mean 3" high pewter characters in groups or are other things possible.

I just think people aren't sure what characters could be, when all that people tend to think of with 'characters' is 1/6 full colour polystone statues and that's the one thing we know we can't have.

So given what materials, sizes, scales, etc are possible, may well help everyone come up with idea's of what we would like.

What Guru said! Does characters refer to John Howe's work, or another line altogether?

Also Tim, i would be most interested in the environments/buildings side of things. I feel there is alot you could do here which you didn't when with Sideshow - Bag End, Rivendell (unless you're holding them for The Hobbit?), Barad-Dur, the black gates, Cirith Ungol, a bigger and better Minas Morgul and possibly Minas Tirith. Also, is it possible for you to release the Argonath? The full environment is stunning, much better than the butchered book ends (Which actually aren't strong enough to hold books!!), and the Hobbiton Mill? I've wanted that one ever since i laid eyes on it as a nice homage to the Scouring of the Shire.

Finally, do you have a licence to do book-related merchandise? I've been pining for a Tom Bombadil statue for as long as i can remember! Please? :)

...Unfortunately, our license does not include 1/6 scale statues. It does include miniature shields / helmets / weapons / crowns / characters and buildings / environments. Please let us know your preferences

Kind regards

Tim

...Also Tim, i would be most interested in the environments/buildings side of things. I feel there is alot you could do here which you didn't when with Sideshow - Bag End, Rivendell (unless you're holding them for The Hobbit?), Barad-Dur, the black gates, Cirith Ungol, a bigger and better Minas Morgul and possibly Minas Tirith. Also, is it possible for you to release the Argonath? The full environment is stunning, much better than the butchered book ends (Which actually aren't strong enough to hold books!!), and the Hobbiton Mill? I've wanted that one ever since i laid eyes on it as a nice homage to the Scouring of the Shire.

Excellent news regarding the environments! Those pieces were what got me collecting the SS/Weta line, as well as branching out to the other pieces offered, such as statues, busts and helms.

I would love to see more previously undone environments, as listed above by Frodo Eyes. There are so many more ideas available, such as an Ent moot, the White Tree fountain at Minas Tirith, and Balin's tomb, just to name a few.

One question: If Weta does not have the 1/6th "collectibles" license, then who does?

Thank you, Tim, for sharing information with us here and at the Shadow & Flame forum. Truly appreciated!

Another very enthusiastic vote here for more environments - and for 'characters and buildings' if those are in the same vein. I loved the Sideshow Weta environments, and there are so many great possibilities for more, including many that people were really hoping for in the previous line. It would be brilliant to see Weta start making those again.

Thanks for coming to talk to us, Tim! :)

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in reply. We are currently preparing for a Halo promotion in Sydney tonight. Look for it on the net !

In reply to your questions, I can't go into too much detail as these contracts are confidential.

Let's just say we are able to offer miniature collectables on a global basis. "Miniature" would include pieces approx 15cm high or lower. "Characters" could be creatures or characters (eg : human, hobbits, elves, etc) from the trilogy.

We are getting good feedback from this site and the Shadow and Flame forum. Pelase keep it coming

The shields will open for pre-order in the next couple of days !

Many thanks

Tim

Back