Weta Coming Back To Middle Earth

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree completely with theguru1. Not sure what all the hate is about. The Weta swords are clearly for the very high-end collectors. Seems to me if anyone wants one for a more reasonable price, both United Cutlery and Noble Collection made a number of different replicas that won't break the bank. That might even be why Weta can't offer something comparable, price-wise.

Personally, I'm psyched for the shields! I've been wanting these since I saw photos of a mini-shield collection at SDCC years ago. I just hope they make all the major shields from the films. Ideally, I'd love it if they started up the weapon sets again as well since Weta/Sideshow stopped that line far too prematurely with just plaques from FOTR. Certainly there are many more they could do.

I just hope there are still enough collectors of the miniatures out there to make this successful. I have all the mini-helms and weapon sets to date and would love more (shields, weapon sets, full armor sets!). but I seem to be in the minority as most people seem to have gravitated toward the Premium Format and dioramas, which don't have any allure for me whatsoever.

That is pretty small. I thought they would be a little larger.

Are they metal or plastic? I don't want to go fishing through the thread... ;)

They will be metal, the ones that they had on display were resin.

As for the crowns, myself and others made the suggestion of raising the stem on the base some - to match the height of the existing SSW helms - Weta seemed to agree that they would; and they really aren't even licensed yet, so there could be more revisions. One possible revision is the inclusion of what would essentially be a mini-manequin head for the crown to sit on, they weren't sure yet.

Just as disappointed as many of you that the pieces (Smeagol, the Howe sculpts, weapons, cloak, etc.) are not within the average collectors' reach price-wise. But, I cannot negate the beauty and craftsmanship of what they've done. I'm thinking they're really going forth on the concept of "fine art" rather than just "collectible" (for us rank and file). And I see no problem with that.

I'm thinking that there might be a potential of them providing us alternative, and a bit more affordable, versions (smaller? resin vs bronze?) in the future, especially with the Howe pieces. I can only hope.

I also know that Weta is very interested in reasoned, constructive input (positive as well as negative) from the collectible community. The emphasis is on "reasoned and constructive."

They will be metal, the ones that they had on display were resin.

As for the crowns, myself and others made the suggestion of raising the stem on the base some - to match the height of the existing SSW helms - Weta seemed to agree that they would; and they really aren't even licensed yet, so there could be more revisions. One possible revision is the inclusion of what would essentially be a mini-manequin head for the crown to sit on, they weren't sure yet.

Those are excellent suggestions, Matt. The mini-manequin head would definitely work to the advantage of the crowns. Hopefully they are non-descriptive, with just the basic human head form. Keep it black in color, in order to provide positive contrast to the crowns themselves.

Just as disappointed as many of you that the pieces (Smeagol, the Howe sculpts, weapons, cloak, etc.) are not within the average collectors' reach price-wise. But, I cannot negate the beauty and craftsmanship of what they've done. I'm thinking they're really going forth on the concept of "fine art" rather than just "collectible" (for us rank and file). And I see no problem with that.

I'm thinking that there might be a potential of them providing us alternative, and a bit more affordable, versions (smaller? resin vs bronze?) in the future, especially with the Howe pieces. I can only hope.

I also know that Weta is very interested in reasoned, constructive input (positive as well as negative) from the collectible community. The emphasis is on "reasoned and constructive."

Rumi, I don't think anyone is disputing the quality or beauty of Weta's new lines. And I'm not even upset over the costs, based on a word you have already mentioned...craftsmanship. These are extremely limited item's which I am sure take a significant amount of time to create at the hands of truly gifted craftsman.
And although there are a few people around here acting like mindless parrots repeating the same phase "you guys are jealous, you guys are jealous " I can assure you the vast majority of us, if not all of us , are most definitely not jealousy. We are however, as you yourself have stated, disappointed, and there is a huge difference. Had Weta announced a line polystone John Howe sculpts at the same time they announced these bronze editions I think we both know the response they have received would have been significantly different. And had Weta gone even a bit further and annouced that within a polystone line of John Howe-based statues there would be both a reg. and excl. edition, the excl. being a signed and numbered [by John Howe] litho of the artwork which the sculpts are based on, I think people would have been ecstatic to the point of not even remembering there was a bronze edition.
But I mean really, Weta has been out of the LOTR loop for close to four years now and this is the best they could come up with after all that time away? Extremely expensive swords and statues for the discriminating few and crowns/tiara's or mini-shields/lapel pins for the rest of us? It was the average everyday collector who originally "brought Weta to the dance" and put them on the map as a leading collectibles company, and I really do believe it would serve Weta well to remember that.

Last edited:
Woodsy . . .I really don't think Weta is primarily thought of as a collectibles company. Certainly not at the level of GG or SS. If anything, they're trying their hand at it, but obviously they'd rather dabble at what they're great at first -- the Effects house of PJ. I'm just glad they dish out something, albeit their choices of what to make may seem out of touch with the fans that love their films. I'm sure if there's something they make that's within my price range, I'll be gobbling it up.

Those are excellent suggestions, Matt. The mini-manequin head would definitely work to the advantage of the crowns. Hopefully they are non-descriptive, with just the basic human head form. Keep it black in color, in order to provide positive contrast to the crowns themselves.

As far as I can tell as of now the main three "heads" in the collectible game are debating going with the manequin head or the look as seen at the Con. The detailing is much too fine to not have something to attach the fine metalwork to, or sculpt on; not only are breakages an issue but so is cost for production. If they do go with the head option it would indeed be non-descript and black. :wave

Woodsy . . .I really don't think Weta is primarily thought of as a collectibles company. Certainly not at the level of GG or SS. If anything, they're trying their hand at it, but obviously they'd rather dabble at what they're great at first -- the Effects house of PJ. I'm just glad they dish out something, albeit their choices of what to make may seem out of touch with the fans that love their films. I'm sure if there's something they make that's within my price range, I'll be gobbling it up.

I agree with you 100% that Weta is one of the best, if not the best, CGI and movie prop/costuming companies in the world. And no doubt that is their primary purpose and where they make the vast majority of their substantial earnings, but there was a time when they were also recognized as one of the most highly regarded collectible companies as well. And while they have certainly slipped considerably over the past 4 years in regard to consumer demand for their products, this could be the perfect opportunity for them to re-establish themselves, but it appears they are squandering the opportunity.
And you are not the only one who would be gobbling up Weta LOTR-related statues and busts if they were producing them at the moment, I think alot of us feel the same way. From the look of things however, we'll just have to wait until Weta starts producing The Hobbit collectibles.

I'm sure Tim from Weta won't mind if I help to put some of this into perspective.

In relation to the high-end swords:

Peter Lyon has long wanted to create LOTR swords for customers to purchase, and collectors have been asking for these since the Fellowship of the Ring was first launched. So we are excited to finally get the chance to meet both Peter's creative desires and the requests of sword collectors around the world.

So while UC cover the general public, etc, theses are filling in a much wanted gap and btw, it takes him 3-4 weeks to make each one by hand, not exactly a quick process.

It should also be noted that the license was only finalised 2 days before SDCC started, so its not like they have had a huge amount of time to get plenty ready, most of it is prototypes.
Again, as Tim has said:

Our license is for a wide range of products and will include a wide range of pricing. We get customer requests from both high end collectors and from collectors with lower budgets (like me !). So we will be trying to meet the needs of both groups of customers. There will be more products coming aimed at both ends of the spectrum.

So, plenty more to come and they are especially interested in what collectors would like in miniature items.

But, one important fact needs to be kept in mind, which is the reason why the Howe sculpts are not in polystone:

Unfortunately our license does not include 1/6 scale statues...

At the moment I would assume that would include most polystone type items, like 1/4 scale busts, etc however I maybe wrong.

It should be remembered that the shields, crowns and I guess likely armour if it happens, would be metal, thus avoiding the polystone issue.

So, plenty more to come and they are especially interested in what collectors would like in miniature items.

As one of the apparently few miniature fans, I'd love to see the following:

1) Helms: Weta/Sideshow covered most of the key helms already, but there is one glaring omission: Helm's Deep Uruk. They could potentially take this one base helm and make 4 variants (like the Gondorian set): swordsman, pikeman, commander, and crossbow. A more accurate Scout Uruk helm, with leather straps in front and back, would be great too. The remaining troll helms (Siege, Grond, Catapult, etc) might be nice to add to the one Battle Troll helm.

2) Weapon sets: to go with the previous sets, new ones to cover TTT and ROTK would be awesome. Arms of Rohan, Gondor, Saruman (and HD Uruks), Easterlings, Haradrim, Fellowship 3 (Gandalf the White staff, Anduril, Legolas's Lothlorien quiver and bow), Mordor Orcs, Elves, etc.

3) Armor sets: ideally entire sets of armor, but at the very least, maybe helm and torso/shoulders. They could do Theoden, Eomer, Gondorian, Rohan Royal Guard, HD Uruk, Scout Uruk, Prologue Elf, HD Galadhrim Elf, Easterling, Gimli, Numenorean, King of the Dead, etc.

As per Tim from Weta:

If Weta doesn't have it, and Sideshow doesn't have it, I wonder who does...

Good question. I'm thinking perhaps it was a shared licence between SS and Weta and therefore if one can't have it, niether can the other. I was hoping there would be a difference between a LOTR licence and a Middle Earth licence, but from the look of things the wording of the original licence encompasses both lines. Which begs another question, How was Weta able to get licensing agreements for The Hobbit? :confused:

Boy I don't know what to say but Im glad this announcement came out now. I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Nazgul bronze but now, well, why bother. I think this was a mistake on Weta's part. I think they must be disappointed with the SDCC sales and had to do something to recoup the loss. But who would pay 6000 for a bronze when the company is making a faux bronze? Why not lower the price of the bronze statues first and try to entice fence sitters like me? Who in their right mind would spend the money when the company is showing the willingness to kill the investment of their products? And I know the word investment is a dirty word, but at 6k a piece you have to be thinking of some capital preservation in these purchases. I looked at the first gandalf bronze as a model and recognized how much I regret not buying that piece, that the last one sold for 9-10k, that they never come up for sale, and that the only way to own the piece was to buy the bronze. That's it. Faux bronzes totally deflate this product. So while I'm glad I can cheap out on these awesome statues, part of me was eager to truly own a rare and unique piece that would be desirable for years to come.

Anyone else with me on this?

The ones at the Con I am almost certain were actually a faux bronze "plastic;" they weren't bronze --- so that what you see is what you will be getting! :rock

The ones at the Con I am almost certain were actually a faux bronze "plastic;" they weren't bronze --- so that what you see is what you will be getting! :rock

I asked this directly and they certainly were faux bronze. IMO the faux bronze polystone pieces tend to lack the shiny density, for lack of a better word, of the actual bronze pieces.

Back