Westworld HBO series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2018 on season 2 for reals? What a bummer. This season was fantastic. They def wanted to see if it would bomb in the ratings dept. Wasn't this season 2 years in the making itself?

Just binged the whole season.

If this has been raised before forgive me as I've only scanned through this thread.

Hasn't anyone in the company noticed that Bernard hasn't aged in 30 or so yrs?

Why was Bernard ordered to kill the girl who stumbled upon the transmitter stuff out in the woods?

If Ed Harris bought the company why would he need to steal tech?

What's the deal with Wyatt? Is he one of those animal things that can't be killed?

It's a cool show. I didn't see anyone bring up the obvious parallels to blade runner. The mega corporation that gets into the business of building androids "more human than human". the tough, semi-hot chick with the snake tattoo, the use of the word "retired"- both very subtle references. but the overall story is about what is it to be human. What is consciousness? The idea of humans playing god. The creation turning on its master. All that stuff is right out of blade runner.

Some confusing spots but I'm very interested.

Yea, you missed a lot, despite seeing the whole season.

Bernard is an android/robot.

The girl(Elsie) was killed because she would've expose Ford's plan/control.

The man in black(play by Ed Harris) just want to play the game of Westworld. It's the board that want to secure the code, in case Ford die or gets out of control.

Wyatt is a character from previous play. He was added, as memory, to some of the host.

I meant bernard's lack of aging over 30 yrs (cuz hes an android) is a plot hole.

It was ed harris who worked with theresa and the young black girl to sell the tech. So if he bought the company why steal tech from yourself?

I thought Elsie uncovered Theresa's plot to sell tech. Not anything from Ford.

Bernard hasn't been here for 30 years. In the series, over the 30 years, you see two characters played by the same actor: Arnold and Bernard. As for the staff, they're pretty young. They may know Bernard but have never encountered Arnold.

As for the MIB motivation, even though he seems to be one of the major shareholder, he obviously has different plans than the rest of the board. So far, we don't know exactly what the board really wants, except cut costs and steal the tech from Ford for yet unclear reasons. MIB clearly says he is here for the maze and has little interest in the board's motivation (in one of the last episodes)

As for Elsie, who knows. I'm not even convinced she's dead...

True, but i mean the concept of manufacturing human beings from scratch and giving them memories. Not like taking over someone's body, or reanimating dead tissue, or having a domineering alter ego, or anything like that.

True, but i mean the concept of manufacturing human beings from scratch and giving them memories. Not like taking over someone's body, or reanimating dead tissue, or having a domineering alter ego, or anything like that.

I'm pretty sure you missed my point. And the novel of Frankenstein is much more than reanimating the dead. The themes you mentioned before are all there.

And, again, those themes are the basis of things like 'Brave New World' and many other sci fi stories from long, long ago. Clones, synths and such are a natural progression from robots, which often had similar broader ideas about what it is to be human.

There's a very long tradition of such concepts. It didn't start with 'Bladerunner'... except for you. "Westworld" currently explores those very ideas, and does a very good job of it. I recommend it if you haven't been watching.

Ever hear of this guy?

pinocchio009.gif

I'm pretty sure you missed my point. And the novel of Frankenstein is much more than reanimating the dead. The themes you mentioned before are all there.

And, again, those themes are the basis of things like 'Brave New World' and many other sci fi stories from long, long ago. Clones, synths and such are a natural progression from robots, which often had similar broader ideas about what it is to be human.

There's a very long tradition of such concepts. It didn't start with 'Bladerunner'... except for you. "Westworld" currently explores those very ideas, and does a very good job of it. I recommend it if you haven't been watching.

You quoted me, but did you actually read the quote? Manufacturing humans and playing with their memories. Thats what I was talking about. That's not Pinocchio who was a living puppet. That's not Frankenstein, a reanimated corpse.

The themes are common, but how they're are presented is what I'm talking about. The vehicle in the story by which they are presented. Here, manufacturing human being and playing with their memories. That leads to god complex, etc.

Do you an example of THAT besides blade runner? Can you provide that please?

You quote me, but did you actually read the quote? Manufacturing humans and playing with their memories. Thats what I was talking about. That's not Pinocchio who was a living puppet. That's not Frankenstein, a reanimated corps.

Give me an example of manufacturing humans from scratch and giving them memories.

Well that's just one twist on what is still an old concept.

You quoted me, but did you actually read the quote? Manufacturing humans and playing with their memories. Thats what I was talking about. That's not Pinocchio who was a living puppet. That's not Frankenstein, a reanimated corpse.

The themes are common, but how they're are presented is what I'm talking about. The vehicle in the story by which they are presented. Here, manufacturing human being and playing with their memories. That leads to god complex, etc.

Do you an example of THAT besides blade runner? Can you provide that please?

I did answer you. I didn't post Pinocchio. Frankenstein has many of the themes you mentioned in your initial post which is what I said (read my post).

You seem to be arguing with me but you're really arguing with history. Educate yourself. Look some of these things up before you ignore.

Let me re-post this for you. This is what I wrote to clarify what I was talking about:

"True, but i mean the concept of manufacturing human beings from scratch and giving them memories. Not like taking over someone's body, or reanimating dead tissue, or having a domineering alter ego, or anything like that."

You quoted this and claim you read it. Maybe you didn't understand it then. I thought it was clear.

Then I asked you a question. It was:

"The themes are common, but how they're are presented is what I'm talking about. The vehicle in the story by which they are presented. Here, manufacturing human being and playing with their memories. That leads to god complex, etc.

Do you an example of THAT besides blade runner? Can you provide that please?"

You never answered that. If you have some other example of what I was talking about, then provide it. Please.

Let me re-post this for you. This is what I wrote to clarify what I was talking about:

"True, but i mean the concept of manufacturing human beings from scratch and giving them memories. Not like taking over someone's body, or reanimating dead tissue, or having a domineering alter ego, or anything like that."

You quoted this and claim you read it. Maybe you didn't understand it then. I thought it was clear.

Then I asked you a question. It was:

"The themes are common, but how they're are presented is what I'm talking about. The vehicle in the story by which they are presented. Here, manufacturing human being and playing with their memories. That leads to god complex, etc.

Do you an example of THAT besides blade runner? Can you provide that please?"

You never answered that. If you have some other example of what I was talking about, then provide it. Please.

I feel like you are trying to catch me here. Not sure why. I really wish I could provide all the references and influences that came before, but I can't, I'm not a historian. But I am aware of them without being able to remember or recite the titles.

But my posts were addressing your initial post. Here is what you said that I was referring to:

the overall story is about what is it to be human. What is consciousness? The idea of humans playing god. The creation turning on its master. All that stuff is right out of blade runner.

Based on that, 'Frankenstein' came to mind -- the novel not the movie -- which is considered to be the first science fiction work; also deals with playing god, "god complex", what it means to be human, what is consciousness, and a creation turning on its master. Your post suggested that 'Bladerunner' did it first. There is also questions of humanity and consciousness and what it means to be human in 'I, Robot' (the novel not the movie). I'm certain you know Bladerunner is based on "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?" so the origin is robots -- the updated synth or "replicants" is the natural progression I mentioned. I don't believe they are manufacturing real human beings and just implanting memories. They are making synthetic androids and uploading false memories. The false memory bit is something that has been explored in stories like 'Total Recall' (from "We can remember it for you wholesale"). At the moment, these are all the examples I can think of. That doesn't mean many, many others do not exist.

Regarding your recent question, I'm not certain what you mean when you say: "the vehicle of the story by which they are presented". Again, if you mean replicants -- which are basically a new level of androids or robots -- then I think we're having a circular debate because I answered that question above. Substitute "manufactured human beings" for robot or android or synth or whatever. It's all robots and AI -- body and mind. Sci Fi has been messing with that in different ways from its inception. The road goes a long way back.

EDIT: Here, so you don't think I'm insane, here's a line from Wiki:

In many ways Blade Runner serves as a cautionary tale in the tradition of Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein.

Link for you, since I'm sure you don't trust me:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Blade_Runner

Last edited:
Havent thought about Frakenstein in a while. Frankenstein the book is far superior to the film incarnations, as far as I know the only movie to truly tackle the real story was Branagh's version, which was very flawed. But like you said, this story has been told in other forms over and over again.

Back