Vintage Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved Rax... I was a big fan of the Uncle Alligator meals :lecture

rax.jpg

That makes a lot of sense... and honestly I'd hate it if the shows were changed. The clips from old shows and movies made MB so much fun as a kid. For awhile it seemed like the only series that you could get a current SW fix from :lol

Remember the show "Tour of Duty"? I THINK it was from the '80s so still vintage. :)

Anyway, I remember my buddy in university got the boxed VHS set from his girlfriend at the time (lol, definitely a keeper... and VHS of all things, we're still talking vintage here!). Anyway, they had changed some of the music on that show for release, too, since they used a lot of popular "Vietnam-type" rock songs. I THINK Paint it Black was still used as the opener, but yeah - sucked big time.

rax.jpg

Looks delicious. Didn't have those in Canada - are they all gone now?

Good assortment on that desk! How was/is the vintage toy situation in Turkey, anyway?

Remember the show "Tour of Duty"? I THINK it was from the '80s so still vintage. :)

Anyway, I remember my buddy in university got the boxed VHS set from his girlfriend at the time (lol, definitely a keeper... and VHS of all things, we're still talking vintage here!). Anyway, they had changed some of the music on that show for release, too, since they used a lot of popular "Vietnam-type" rock songs. I THINK Paint it Black was still used as the opener, but yeah - sucked big time.

Ya know, it's funny you say that bc I swear Paint It Black was the theme song and a few years ago it was replaying on cable and I think the theme was different.

I wish we could live in a society where the orginal artistic vision of something could go on unscathed--it blew me away a few years ago when I actually caught an episode of the Brady Bunch that had a joke edited out of it. Crazy.

We SORT OF do, because of the internet. However it takes the effort of freedom-loving "pirates" to do so. :)

Blame the sucky lawyers that were involved when the shows were being created, for not thinking ahead when drafting the original licensing contracts.

This sounds like the situation with Robotech and why we don't get any Macross stuff over here.

rax.jpg

I've never heard of this place. I'll look it up tonight. It made me remember the old A & W Root Beer restaurants. Not the modern ones but the ones with the girls who would come out to your car and take your order. Those were far better than the modern ones. The Root Beer was sweeter and the food seemed better too.

This thread is great. I went through the whole thing. I saw old Starcom toys I used to own. Who knows what happened to all these toys. I think they were thrown away...

This sounds like the situation with Robotech and why we don't get any Macross stuff over here.

Over where? I'm not sure what Macross/Robotech licensing issues you're referring to, but as far as I know, you can get video and product releases from both the original Macross, its many variants and sequels, as well as the US-produced Robotech amalgamation in many places around the world. Certainly in the US and Canada. Though admittedly, you're not likely to find selection at ToysRUs or department stores. You'll have to look to specialty toy and hobby shops usually. Or because it's not 1989, shop online like everyone else. ;)

All 4,000+ posts??? Damn.

Not really reading the posts. Mostly looking at the pictures during tennis.

Over where? I'm not sure what Macross/Robotech licensing issues you're referring to, but as far as I know, you can get video and product releases from both the original Macross, its many variants and sequels, as well as the US-produced Robotech amalgamation in many places around the world. Certainly in the US and Canada. Though admittedly, you're not likely to find selection at ToysRUs or department stores. You'll have to look to specialty toy and hobby shops usually. Or because it's not 1989, shop online like everyone else. ;)

In the United States, we don't get any Japanese Macross stuff officially. Only Robotech. I believe there were a few rare deals with the original Macross TV show. But I think the last official Macross (not related to Robotech) release was Macross II. We have to import everything else from Macross Frontier Blu-rays to the Yamato valkyries.

I wouldn't have expected that Robotech's license to use Macross source material would preclude the distribution and sale of the source material in the US. Robotech has now traded hands a few times and I don't even know who currently controls the rights.

Both ADV and AnimEigo released Macross in the US. ADV is out of business and AnimEigo's version is now out of print. But they were released.

Most of the Macross stuff has never been dubbed to English if that's what you meant by "official." I can't stand watching Anime with subtitles, so it means I haven't seen most of the newer sequels. ;)

In the US and Canada the vast majority of Anime is never released officially because the market is infinitesimally small compared to its native Japan. Let alone anime-related products - I think North America would be lucky to see one 1/10 of one percent "officially." But a lot is imported by companies catering to smaller markets and you can always import yourself. Import taxes, especially in the US make bringing in anything for personal use extremely attractive, unlike for example in Europe.

With regards to toys specifically and one brand specifically, I'm not aware that Yamato (for example) even officially distributes in North America. So I don't think the lack of their Valkyrie on shelves has anything to do with Macross licensing issues. I've seen plenty of Macross product in local stores over the past 20 years, but then again I live in the Toronto area and we have a huge asian community and a lot of stores catering to these types of products. I still bought my 1:48 Yamato Valkyrie VF-1S (Hikaro colors) from Hong Kong on eBay. ;)

This thread is great. I went through the whole thing. I saw old Starcom toys I used to own. Who knows what happened to all these toys. I think they were thrown away...

I love me some Starcom! It's one of my favorite toy lines of all time. At a toy show last year I picked up a Shadowbat and 2 Shadow Parasites with figures for $60. These were always my favorites from the line. I've gotten a few other vehicles over the years but never see the figures.

I wouldn't have expected that Robotech's license to use Macross source material would preclude the distribution and sale of the source material in the US. Robotech has now traded hands a few times and I don't even know who currently controls the rights.

Both ADV and AnimEigo released Macross in the US. ADV is out of business and AnimEigo's version is now out of print. But they were released.

Most of the Macross stuff has never been dubbed to English if that's what you meant by "official." I can't stand watching Anime with subtitles, so it means I haven't seen most of the newer sequels. ;)

In the US and Canada the vast majority of Anime is never released officially because the market is infinitesimally small compared to its native Japan. Let alone anime-related products - I think North America would be lucky to see one 1/10 of one percent "officially." But a lot is imported by companies catering to smaller markets and you can always import yourself. Import taxes, especially in the US make bringing in anything for personal use extremely attractive, unlike for example in Europe.

With regards to toys specifically and one brand specifically, I'm not aware that Yamato (for example) even officially distributes in North America. So I don't think the lack of their Valkyrie on shelves has anything to do with Macross licensing issues. I've seen plenty of Macross product in local stores over the past 20 years, but then again I live in the Toronto area and we have a huge asian community and a lot of stores catering to these types of products. I still bought my 1:48 Yamato Valkyrie VF-1S (Hikaro colors) from Hong Kong on eBay. ;)

I still have the Animeigo Macross box set. I probably paid too much for it. It came with a lenticular card. I believe Animeigo made a deal to release their version. That's why it was so expensive originally. Then ADV released a version based off the Animeigo transfers when their license expired. I think. I'm sure people on MacrossWorld know exactly how all this happened. I think Acorn Media or A & E released the recent Robotech Collection. I'm waiting on the Blu-ray. I think ADV released the Japanese versions of Southern Cross and Mospeada as well. But all that is tied to Robotech over here and not new Macross.

What I meant by official is just official releases. Like Ghost in the Shell gets official releases. Macross Frontier doesn't. I don't mess with dubbed anime unless it's really good like Ghost in the Shell. I just think it's sad that legal stuff prevents a good show like Macross Frontier from being released over here.

Yamato does distribute statues in the United States. But no Macross stuff. I end up getting a lot of stuff from importers. I got my valkyries from NSCX I think or another company that went out of business when the exchange rate got crazy. There is another good place online that I can't remember right now.

I love me some Starcom! It's one of my favorite toy lines of all time. At a toy show last year I picked up a Shadowbat and 2 Shadow Parasites with figures for $60. These were always my favorites from the line. I've gotten a few other vehicles over the years but never see the figures.

Yeah, those are the two vehicles I owned as well. I can't remember the good guys. I watched a video review last night. I was tempted to find them on eBay. I like the triangle design of the ships. But now when I get toy ships I like them to be really high end like the Macross stuff.

My brother was into Starcom but I didn't really care for the tiny size of the figures. I remember the vehicles and particularly their mechanisms were pretty neat though. I still have his two surviving figures hanging out (literally) on the light/fan over my stove. Magnets are cool.

I've developed this Beautiful Mind-esque sense that helps me see through a pile of crap McD's toys at the flea market and decipher if there is anything of value in there. Usually within a couple seconds, I'm off to something else. I too found a Kellog's Lifeline once and I can do the same thing with a box of Hot Wheels. Definitely speeds up the browsing!

That's me right there. On a bad haul day I can do the whole market in less than ten minutes. I don't know Hot Wheels at all, but at times I've wished I did. There's always cars a plenty.

I had the Army Gear canteen and gun. Remember thinking they were pretty cool back in the day. Pretty sure no major company would have the ***** to release a sorta-kinda realistic gun like that for kids nowadays.

my wife dragged me to this antique place in town & i thought what the heck i'll look for some vintage star wars stuff (none....:mad:) but i ran across this......
HPIM1952.jpg

thought it would be perfect for my grandaughter & it was, she loves it and seems to be her favorite toy of everything she has. picked it up for $15. i researched it a little bit and was probably made from the mid 60's to early 70's. missing a few pieces from what i can gather from online photos but she doesn't know or seem to care...:)

Damn, $15, very nice. I see there's a missing chicken, girl and dog. You also have an extra farmer and the woman and boy may be the incorrect ones for that set. Not that it matters at $15.

Do the doors of the barn still make the "moo" sound? The Play Family Family is one of a handful of FP sets I want to pick up in complete condition. I've seen plenty of them over the years, but they're always around $100.

^ Hey, sack up fella! :D

But they're too cool! Once they're used, that's it.

I had the Army Gear canteen and gun. Remember thinking they were pretty cool back in the day. Pretty sure no major company would have the ***** to release a sorta-kinda realistic gun like that for kids nowadays.

It'll never happen.

Back