Vanderstelt Studio Middle-earth News

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that the emphasis is on Gandalf also that you have not gone with the classic montage for what was so clearly a montage like film, what with 13 dwarves and all.

Fifteen (Gandalf, Bilbo, and 13 dwarves) floating heads wouldn't make for very interesting composition and would eliminate space for the various scenes of the movie. I agree that I imagined that Bilbo would have been more prominent than Gandalf but the image itself looks great! Probably the best movie related art so far.

Wicked looking goblins!

FBHobbitreveal_zpsea819190.jpg

Coming soon as Fine Art prints. Check out my Facebook page for details and news!

JV

nice............

Coming soon as Fine Art prints. Check out my Facebook page for details and news!

JV

Very very nice...That's alot of Gandalf in the piece...looks great otherwise...I would have Azog vs Thror replace the bottom Gandalf

Yes, there are a few Gandalfs in there :lol, BUT, he is the real leader and mover of events before, during and after the Hobbit story, hence making Gandalf a good part of my design and story telling. Gandalf provides the map and key, leads the group out of the Goblin Town situation, leads them out of the Wargs ( 15 birds in five fir trees ) situation, etc. etc.
As an artist, this was my intention to include events mentioned in the book, and combine those facts into the movie tie in.

But I understand what some folks are saying too.

The actual print in person does it much more justice, no matter how many Gandalfs there may be :lol

JV

Yes, there are a few Gandalfs in there :lol, BUT, he is the real leader and mover of events before, during and after the Hobbit story, hence making Gandalf a good part of my design and story telling. Gandalf provides the map and key, leads the group out of the Goblin Town situation, leads them out of the Wargs ( 15 birds in five fir trees ) situation, etc. etc.
As an artist, this was my intention to include events mentioned in the book, and combine those facts into the movie tie in.

But I understand what some folks are saying too.

The actual print in person does it much more justice, no matter how many Gandalfs there may be :lol

JV

Understood....I'm just trying to remember Gandalf without his hat on other than in Bilbo's house and resting...When will this be officially up for sale and when will all versions be up with their respective prices?

There will be two types you can consider: Canvas or Paper Giclees.
I will not be creating Lithographs any longer for my Licensed LOTR and Hobbit line, but will be producing Fine Art Giclees, all created individually in-house, which are more expensive to produce, but the color and clarity reproduction quality is far superior : ).
These Giclees will be created using Breathing Color's 100 year archival Canvas and Papers. All editions come with a signed Certificate of Authenticity.

Below are the size and price options:

$450 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Epic Size Collector’s Edition Canvas Giclee – 100 pieces. Includes a character sketch on a separate parchment ( roughly 5 x 7 inches ). Numbers will match. Customer will have the option to choose any character that appears on the artwork for their Original 5 x 7 sketch.
Canvas Size : 29 x 39 actual art with 2.5 inch border all around for Gallery Wrapping.

$350 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Limited Edition Canvas Giclee – 100 pieces. Size : 24 x 32 actual art with 2.5 inch border all around for Gallery Wrapping.

$ 195 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Epic Size Edition Paper Giclee – 2000 pieces. Size: 28 x 36 – ( 26 x 35 actual art size ). Comes with a .5 inch white paper border on top and bottom and a 1 inch border on the left and right sides.

$ 150 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Limited Edition Paper Giclee – 2000 pieces. Size: 18 x 24 – ( 17 x 23 actual art size ). Comes with a .5 inch white paper border all around.

Thank you,

JV

Last edited:
Interesting. I take it that is why you didn't include Azog then since his prominence was elevated for the movie?

Azog, will appear in one of the next two pieces, no doubt there!

JV

They look incredible as always Jerry! :clap

I will have to try and pick one up to compliment the LOTR pieces. Still haven't got round to getting Sauron yet either! :gah::lol

Azog, will appear in one of the next two pieces, no doubt there!

JV

Interesting... so he'll be in the third one then??? :monkey3

I need to find that out myself too, then I'll see where Azog will appear.He WILL be in it though : )

JV

There will be two types you can consider: Canvas or Paper Giclees.
I will not be creating Lithographs any longer for my Licensed LOTR and Hobbit line, but will be producing Fine Art Giclees, all created individually in-house, which are more expensive to produce, but the color and clarity reproduction quality is far superior : ).
These Giclees will be created using Breathing Color's 100 year archival Canvas and Papers. All editions come with a signed Certificate of Authenticity.

Below are the size and price options:

$450 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Epic Size Collector’s Edition Canvas Giclee – 100 pieces. Includes a character sketch on a separate parchment ( roughly 5 x 7 inches ). Numbers will match. Customer will have the option to choose any character that appears on the artwork for their Original 5 x 7 sketch.
Canvas Size : 29 x 39 actual art with 2.5 inch border all around for Gallery Wrapping.

$350 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Limited Edition Canvas Giclee – 100 pieces. Size : 24 x 32 actual art with 2.5 inch border all around for Gallery Wrapping.

$ 195 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Epic Size Edition Paper Giclee – 2000 pieces. Size: 28 x 36 – ( 26 x 35 actual art size ). Comes with a .5 inch white paper border on top and bottom and a 1 inch border on the left and right sides.

$ 150 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Limited Edition Paper Giclee – 2000 pieces. Size: 18 x 24 – ( 17 x 23 actual art size ). Comes with a .5 inch white paper border all around.

Thank you,

JV

Will you still offer the $100 Gallery Wrap option too?...Any official sales date?...How big is the actual paper of the drawing?(framing measurements)

Last edited:
Will you still offer the $100 Gallery Wrap option too?...Any official sales date?

Yes, the gallery wrap option will still be made for USA addresses only. Most framers can do the job if anyone wants to do it within their own local area as well. Thanks !

JV

Yes, the gallery wrap option will still be made for USA addresses only. Most framers can do the job if anyone wants to do it within their own local area as well. Thanks !

JV

Thank you...Will be getting one when sales are official.........Durin's Bane must be next I guess!

Last edited:
What reference material were you given for this piece Jerry? Did you get to watch an early screening of the film prior to its world premiere?

Good question, but I am not at liberty to disuss those details :wink1:. I am under specific contractual Non-Disclosure terms with WB regarding those kinds of things. Sorry!
Any art questions, I can of course answer.

JV

JV

I keep looking at this art everyday...I will have one...Still wish some other image was to take the place of the hatless Gandalf on the bottom(Dol Guldur?)...otherwise a beautiful job as always (even with the extra Gandalf)

Back