Vader's Helmet Too Small - Will it be Adjusted?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The proportions are off and it's too small.

I am not cancelling either but am really let down by this. I sent a LOT of emails to Sideshow, hoping they would listen and make the changes.

As someone stated on RPF:
If you compare just the dome to the original ANH, the shape is just off. The top shape of the dome is not the correctly shaped compared to the original and is not proportional to the body and looks too small to fit a head inside the dome / mask. Also, both front sides of the dome are not wrapped around enough towards the front of the mask. The original front on shots of the ANH Vader, you can see partial and more of the side flare of the dome whereas the sideshow dome is not wrapped around enough and shows less of the dome side flares. The lenses are now black when they should have a more red color which they originally had. Also, the correct silver paint scheme on the mask is less prominent and now looks almost completely black. The dome and mask is the most important feature on ANH Vader and it needs to look right.

I know more than one helmet was used in ANH. That said, you would think Sideshow could make it look like ONE of them.

Great reference site for Vader helmets:

https://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/Tanonvader_helmcomps.htm

I am sorry but from these last group of photos, the helmet looks even worse than the July pictures.

Look at this pic to see how BIG the helmet should be:
dv12a.jpg

Sideshow got it wrong and I am very dissapointed. This is a PREMIUM figure and I expect more.

Another shot:
darth9.jpg

I really hope it's better in person.

Anakin said:
no, it is small...

Nope!

And...

Gruson said:
The proportions are off and it's too small.

...nope! The helmet size is in scale to the body (arms, chest box) it's the cape extending past the shoulders creating the illusion of a bigger body, and a smaller head. It is in scale though.

Gruson said:
I am not cancelling either but am really let down by this. I sent a LOT of emails to Sideshow, hoping they would listen and make the changes.

As someone stated on RPF:
If you compare just the dome to the original ANH, the shape is just off. The top shape of the dome is not the correctly shaped compared to the original and is not proportional to the body and looks too small to fit a head inside the dome / mask. Also, both front sides of the dome are not wrapped around enough towards the front of the mask. The original front on shots of the ANH Vader, you can see partial and more of the side flare of the dome whereas the sideshow dome is not wrapped around enough and shows less of the dome side flares. The lenses are now black when they should have a more red color which they originally had. Also, the correct silver paint scheme on the mask is less prominent and now looks almost completely black. The dome and mask is the most important feature on ANH Vader and it needs to look right.

I know more than one helmet was used in ANH. That said, you would think Sideshow could make it look like ONE of them.

Great reference site for Vader helmets:

https://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/Tanonvader_helmcomps.htm

I am sorry but from these last group of photos, the helmet looks even worse than the July pictures.

Look at this pic to see how BIG the helmet should be:
dv12a.jpg

Sideshow got it wrong and I am very dissapointed. This is a PREMIUM figure and I expect more.

Another shot:
darth9.jpg

I really hope it's better in person.

Regarding the top of the dome, the duel scenes show a smaller dome than what was shown at the beggining of the movie when Vader first stepped on the Blockade Runner. There is even an upclose shot of the mask when Vader is telling Leia - "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! TAKE HER AWAY!" - where you can clearly see that there are no lenses in the helmet at all. Sorry, but I want my helmet to come with lenses. The gun metal grey on the helmet was also toned down as was said on the SS Blog which I am glad they did. I don't want a 1/4 studio scale replica helmet with scuffs, tape, or obvious gun metal grey paint applied so it films well, I want it to look like it leaped out of the SW universe and onto my shelf. I want the illusion that was created for all of us to see, not the BS behind the scenes garbage. :)

Mini-Rock said:
Nope!

And...
Regarding the top of the dome, the duel scenes show a smaller dome than what was shown at the beggining of the movie when Vader first stepped on the Blockade Runner. There is even an upclose shot of the mask when Vader is telling Leia - "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! TAKE HER AWAY!" - where you can clearly see that there are no lenses in the helmet at all. Sorry, but I want my helmet to come with lenses. The gun metal grey on the helmet was also toned down as was said on the SS Blog which I am glad they did. I don't want a 1/4 studio scale replica helmet with scuffs, tape, or obvious gun metal grey paint applied so it films well, I want it to look like it leaped out of the SW universe and onto my shelf. I want the illusion that was created for all of us to see, not the BS behind the scenes garbage. :)

go to the rpf forum where people there actually make these helmets and listen to them a little, k?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't know alot about this stuff, (what it's "supposed" to look like or what are the exact dimensions of the piece) all I know is when I saw it at the Con I thought it looked great. After telling myself for months I wouldn't get into the PF figs, I broke down and ordered it as soon as I got home.

Jesse

Mini...are you blind? :)

Sorry but it is rather obvious to me that the Sideshow helmet is too small.

v2.JPG

Anakin said:
my pleasure. maybe i'm trying to follow your steps. :) but if you are blind and can't see the obvious, there's really nothing we all can do for you, maybe just laugh at your ignorance. ;)

We all? You have a mouse in your pocket? ;)

I guess I could say the same thing since what I see is so obvious, but, ultimately, it'll be the final product that determines the truth; and, we won't be seeing the final product for about another month. Until then, hope everyone has a good laugh. :D

Funny how everyone keeps using the picture with the lights off to show how small it is.

Not to disparage the RPF forum, but they are mostly working from screencaps in creating the helmet? Do any of them have input and approval from Lucasfilm on making their helmets?

Also it seems most of the people defending Vader are the ones that have seen it in person rather than just photos.

Gruson said:

hehehe, he is, don't waste your time gruson. i like what darth domain from the rpf forum wrote, and i quote: " I don't know if my eyes are playing up, but the helmet looks out of proportion to the body, the left arm seems too chunky, and he is standing in a rather "feminine" stance not quite in keeping with character. I would not purchase personally.":wacky

a small head, feminine vader. no thanks. :rolleyes:

Darklord Dave said:
Also it seems most of the people defending Vader are the ones that have seen it in person rather than just photos.

i have seen in person at sdcc, and it changed since then, for your information. :cool:

Gruson said:

v2.JPG

Great side-by-side comparison Gru. Still, that is a shot of one helmet, and there were many used for filming. I have no doubt that SS took the best from each or some to create their Vader. Also, a better comparison shot would be with one from the duel with Ben. Can you put up a couple of those? :)

You can argue opinions all you want, but all it comes down to is something that is "obvious" to someone may not be to someone else.

Jesse

Darklord Dave said:
Funny how everyone keeps using the picture with the lights off to show how small it is.

Not to disparage the RPF forum, but they are mostly working from screencaps in creating the helmet? Do any of them have input and approval from Lucasfilm on making their helmets?

Yeah, I'm not worried one bit either Dave. This is still going to be the definitive Vader, and January is too damn long to wait. :D

Mini-Rock said:
Yeah, I'm not worried one bit either Dave. This is still going to be the definitive Vader, and January is too damn long to wait. :D

definitve vader? :wacky
with that small head?:wacky
with that feminine pose?:wacky
with that fat cape? :wacky

please post this at the rpf forum if you really want to make an even bigger fool of yourself. do it please. here at my work everyone is laughing at you already. we want more. :D

Two other points to throw in the fire:

1. Will the lightsaber light up better than that?
2. Will the eye lenses be unpainted? On one of the recent exclusive photos, I could swear his lenses were painted. :sick

Mini-Rock said:
Wow! Even men's room attendants can get online from work. What a wonderful technological world we live in. ;)

lolllll....:mwaha ...you guys are crazy.....but really entertaining...

That's it! I know what the problem is! Everyone was too afraid to suggest it. I cant believe the blasphemy. Everyone is posting the wrong pics! Sideshow, we all really wanted a 1/4 scale Lord Helmet Figure from Space Balls!!! It will satisfy both sides. :rock

spaceballs_large_07.jpg

i have seen in person at sdcc, and it changed since then, for your information. :cool:

I have official confirmation that Vader has NOT changed since SDCC. What you saw there is what you'll be getting.

Darth Waller said:
Two other points to throw in the fire:

1. Will the lightsaber light up better than that?
2. Will the eye lenses be unpainted? On one of the recent exclusive photos, I could swear his lenses were painted. :sick

thanks darth waller, i forgot about these other flaws :horror

Darklord Dave said:
I have official confirmation that Vader has NOT changed since SDCC. What you saw there is what you'll be getting.

really? so what about the pictures updates in their site? is sideshow lying to us? :rolleyes:

Back