TREVOR GROVE is the Schwarzenegger Master

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Trevor Grove make the best Schwarzenegger facesculpts. I hope Hot Toys brings in the future a Schwarzenegger facesulpt that is similar to his work.

It would be cool if Grove make a 1:2 Legendary Scale bust wirh his outstanding Schwarzenegger sculpt. My wish is a T-800 bust from the first film in the pose of the original film poster.

Trevor Grove can reproduce anyone as good as anybody on the planet. Tweeterhead I know is glad to have him

YES Trevor is an amazing sculptor . IMO THE BEST OUT THERE. But unfortunately his beautiful work is covered up by crappy paint aps. Trevor needs to work for HOT TOYS IMO

I was thinking just the same.

Why have visible skin pores & all? I never saw that on a painted resin, only on PVC dolls.

Yes, Trevor Grove make the best Schwarzenegger facesculpts. I hope Hot Toys brings in the future a Schwarzenegger facesulpt that is similar to his work.

Don't get me wrong, that's an amazing sculpt, but IMHO Enterbay's one is as good.

You are missing the point, they are static because they are made out of high quality resin, not plastic or PVC which is the material aimed at kids.

...you don't believe that those things are made with natural resin.. do you?
It's just another form of plastic.

But anyway, "the material aimed at kids" does this:
term7.jpg

& I've never seen this on a resin, except possibly (..but not really) on promotional pictures, nothing mass-produced.
I don't know where the realism comes from, the details of the sculpt, the paints used, the talent.. but it's all there.

Regardless, hot toys look like plastic toys and do not impress me at all. They do not like the realistic prototype images.

oh they totally do! That's why I buy Hot Toys/EB dolls & not resins. You drool watching proto pictures of a SS resin, then you get it, and you get the usual crossed eyes & bleeding paint job, and in the best case, something that looks painted, like what your grandmother had on her chimney.

With HT/EB, you do get what you see, most of the time. Sure, it looks a bit different in-hand because they're not crazy, they will do pro pictures with perfect lighting, but you can do the same pics with the production batch, if you know how.
To do the same as on the promo pics, with SS, you'll have to get a pro painter redo it.

& I think there's still room for improvement, I'm still waiting for realistic hair, not lumps of plastic. I'm sure everyone looks down at rooted hair because people think it can only look like a Barbie. But one day a company will come up with mass-produced, yet realistic, pro-quality rooted hair, and all others will have to follow.

I agree with you kloug. But you are in the statue section, figures are not popular here.

I agree with you kloug. But you are in the statue section, figures are not popular here.

This said, are they really figures?

I have never tweaked any of mine more than once, to make it cool out of the box. I know some are into that, but I consider them statues.

What makes a figure anyway?
-not the clothing, SS's statues are now dressed up
-articulation, but what is articulation? Some statues feature pivots, allowing little rotation of head, arms, sometimes legs
-not accessories/means of customization, statues often feature them too
-the material? does it have to be heavy & brittle to be a statue? While I'd consider the weight as a non-neglectable factor, the fragility is one that makes me avoid statues.

I don't buy "figures" with apparent joints, that's more what I consider "toys". But if joints are covered, it's like a bendable statue, that's a bonus.
I can tolerate not-so-visible hand joints, though, small price to pay for flexiblity.

Yes I agree, I just wish hot toys made statues/PFs to.

Well, Enterbay has tried. Only you've got to love Bruce Lee, because they all were.

I lost track of them but I think they've made 1 Bruce that looks like painted resin, one Bruce that seems detailed but has the most boring pose ever (a bit dumb considering you can't articulate it), and the last one is apparently resin as well.
I've only seen them on pics, but the last 2 seem pretty detailed.

I look at those amazing sculpt in the first post, then look at the horrible end product especially Dutch. Can't help but feel sad about the missed opportunities. SS needs to offer an optional service that for a couple hundred bucks more you can have the statue painted by one of their in house painters...at least the face...instead of the slave labors in china.

SS needs to offer an optional service that for a couple hundred bucks more you can have the statue painted by one of their in house painters...at least the face...instead of the slave labors in china.

why is it that those things can't be painted by a machine, anyway?

Back