TREVOR GROVE is the Schwarzenegger Master

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES Trevor is an amazing sculptor . IMO THE BEST OUT THERE. But unfortunately his beautiful work is covered up by crappy paint aps. Trevor needs to work for HOT TOYS IMO

Yeah but then we are stuck with buying dolls if he works for hot toys. I wish hot toys would make real adult collectibles like statues or PFs. It is such a waste of talent.

:(

Yeah but then we are stuck with buying dolls if he works for hot toys. I wish hot toys would make real adult collectibles like statues or PFs. It is such a waste of talent.

:(
Don't mean to spark off another debate but do you think statues and PFs are the only 'REAL ADULT COLLECTIBLES'?
BTW, Trevor :rock

Cheers,
Neo.

Don't mean to spark off another debate but do you think statues and PFs are the only 'REAL ADULT COLLECTIBLES'?
BTW, Trevor :rock

Cheers,
Neo.

Yes I do IMO, but no offense to people who like dolls, heck I have them my self but mainly handmade ones by well known artist made out of resin and not plastic or PVC. However, I have the odd hot toy figure here and there mainly for nostalgia reasons because other companies will not make them, so I feel like I am stuck buying dolls which have really good paint jobs, unlike sideshow paint jobs which suck.

Last edited:
Neo you have best TDK Jokers that are handmade mostly by Adam. and I would so want them. I consider them art but they are on toy bodies, so at the end of the day they are toys/dolls.

This is not that neo :lol

And I completely disagree. High end 1/6 figures qualify as art just as much as PFs do.

This is not that neo :lol

And I completely disagree. High end 1/6 figures qualify as art just as much as PFs do.

Yes I know it isn't the right neo, hence why I deleted the post. I dont really consider 1/6th figures adult collectibles because they have movable parts like toys. However, I do consider parts of them like sculpts and tailoring works of art. I guess they are kinda adult collectibles, but at the end of the day they are toys/dolls and for me toys/dolls are not for adults but that is only my opinion.

Rainman sculpts are beautiful and so are Serangs scultps and paint jobs and clothing for his Hendrix figure!

I dont want to stir up a debate, I just wish hot toys offered both PFs and dolls.

Last edited:
Yes I know it isn't the right neo, hence why I deleted the post. I dont really consider 1/6th figures adult collectibles because they have movable parts like toys. However, I do consider parts of them like sculpts and tailoring works of art. I guess they are kinda adult collectibles, but at the end of the day they are toys/dolls and for me toys/dolls are not for adults but that is only my opinion.

Rainman sculpts are beautiful and so are Serangs scultps and paint jobs and clothing for his Hendrix figure!

I dont want to stir up a debate, I just wish hot toys offered both PFs and dolls.

You could always sculpt over the entire body if it makes you feel better. :lol
Statues may as well have moving part's , the only reason they don't I'd imagine is because it's not possible to do so without showing joints. All it does is allow for different poses which is always a good thing imo. :dunno

I completely disagree that it's a waste of talent for Trevor to be working for sideshow on figures ( or hot toys ). Just look at the work he's producing for them !. He's even made a few figures himself so if he enjoys it even better.

I've also noticed when people have looked at my collection they are usually always impressed with the figures much more than the statues ( apart from the life size busts I own ). The 1/4 Enterbay Terminator is a prime example of this.

Like you say it's all opinion at the end of the day but to not consider the amazing figures we see here everyday adult collectibles but a statue that could completely suck an adult collectible just because it's fully sculpted doesn't really make much sense to me personally.

Statues may as well have moving part's , the only reason they don't I'd imagine is because it's not possible to do so without showing joints. All it does is allow for different poses which is always a good thing imo. :dunno

I completely disagree that it's a waste of talent for Trevor to be working for sideshow on figures ( or hot toys ). Just look at the work he's producing for them !. He's even made a few figures himself so if he enjoys it even better.

I've also noticed when people have looked at my collection they are usually always impressed with the figures much more than the statues ( apart from the life size busts I own ). The 1/4 Enterbay Terminator is a prime example of this.

Like you say it's all opinion at the end of the day but to not consider the amazing figures we see here everyday adult collectibles but a statue that could completely suck an adult collectible just because it's fully sculpted doesn't really make much sense to me personally.

That is my point, a lot of statues suck because the artist that make them have bad paint jobs etc, of course people are going to like your your 1/6 figures better as they have probably amazing paint jobs and sculpts and are still works of art in parts, but they look like dolls and not real people, unlike PFs or statues.

I do not mean it is a waste of talent for Trevor, I meant anyone working for hot toys, they have some great sculptors and all they make is toys/dolls? I know the idea to have moving parts is make what ever pose you want and I get that, but it is still a toy/doll. I really think having 10 sets of hands and so many accessories is unnecessary but I get that people would like to pose the figure the way they want to with any accessory they want.

I would rather just have the statue built and just look at it, instead of playing with it, but that is just me.

Statues are not just to hide joints but to make the figure look real like a person.

I just wish hot toys would make PFs as well, that is all. Lets just say both figures and statues are adult collectibles, I personally think statues are more for adults but that is my opinion. I don't want to argue.

Do you own that piece of Rainman's Stansfield in your signature? I do consider that sculpt and paint job art, as well as the tailoring. Overall its still a toy but it is a work of art on a toys body.

That is my point, a lot of statues suck because the artist that make them have bad paint jobs etc, of course people are going to like your your 1/6 figures better as they have probably amazing paint jobs and sculpts and are still works of art in parts, but they look like dolls and not real people, unlike PFs or statues.
EB's T-800 even with it's inaccuracies still looks way more 'Arnold' than any Sideshow PF till date. I'm not questioning Trevor's talents here; its Sideshow's goof-up of not using quality painters/factories.

I do not mean it is a waste of talent for Trevor, I meant anyone working for hot toys, they have some great sculptors and all they make is toys/dolls? I know the idea to have moving parts is make what ever pose you want and I get that, but it is still a toy/doll. I really think having 10 sets of hands and so many accessories is unnecessary but I get that people would like to pose the figure the way they want to with any accessory they want.

I would rather just have the statue built and just look at it, instead of playing with it, but that is just me.
Not everyone who collects 'dolls/toys' like to play with them. For example, I always take my collectibles (statues, figures, kits) out whenever they arrive, have a good look at it, bask in the feeling for a while of owning it and then it's either back to the box or straight to a display cabinet. Statues, with their static pose lose interest over time and so having some poseability adds variety to the eye. IMO, of course!

Statues are not just to hide joints but to make the figure look real like a person.

I just wish hot toys would make PFs as well, that is all. Lets just say both figures and statues are adult collectibles, I personally think statues are more for adults but that is my opinion. I don't want to argue.
Not arguing but I still say that statues are just to hide those joints. Any detailed Hot Toy or scaled figure is a PF with joints, isn't it? :wink1:

I love 'em both personally.

Cheers,
Neo.

Agreed, Trevor is a great sculptor.

Would him working for HT require a relocation to China? I'm sure he prefers his gig in sunny California...

Do you own that piece of Rainman's Stansfield in your signature? I do consider that sculpt and paint job art, as well as the tailoring. Overall its still a toy but it is a work of art on a toys body.

Yeah , I own all the figures in my pic. Stansfield is amazing. :)

collection1-1.jpg

I'm not sure how a sculpted body could make any of my figures or hot toys figures much better. Honestly other than joints ( which you can't see on most figures anyway ) the sculpted bodies capture the look and correct shape perfectly anyway for me. I would agree that joints being visible sometimes distracts from the figure and then obviously adds to less realism.

I play with my dolls.

And for the record I have been saying Trevor needs to jump ship for a few years now. What Sideshow does to his work is a crime.

EB's T-800 even with it's inaccuracies still looks way more 'Arnold' than any Sideshow PF till date. I'm not questioning Trevor's talents here; its Sideshow's goof-up of not using quality painters/factories.

Not arguing but I still say that statues are just to hide those joints. Any detailed Hot Toy or scaled figure is a PF with joints, isn't it? :wink1:

I love 'em both personally.

Cheers,
Neo.

No its not because PFs are made out of high quality resin or poly stone. Whereas hot toys are made out of plastic or PVC because they are just toys/dolls. I guess they could be considered adult collectibles for adults still but they do not look like it to me.

This is still the best 1/4 T2 Arnold head sculpt.

Still owns the best likeness of all 1/4 scale figure so far.
127_55922_7550a7637a571be.jpg

127_55922_dfc8349739bfdef.jpg

127_55922_c08ca939ffc759a.jpg

127_55922_a37abccd7ff9ea1.jpg

127_55922_c44fb5358fd866c.jpg

Yeah , I own all the figures in my pic. Stansfield is amazing. :)

collection1-1.jpg

I'm not sure how a sculpted body could make any of my figures or hot toys figures much better. Honestly other than joints ( which you can't see on most figures anyway ) the sculpted bodies capture the look and correct shape perfectly anyway for me. I would agree that joints being visible sometimes distracts from the figure and then obviously adds to less realism.

They just look like dolls not real people, hence why the festivals in Korea are called doll festivals.

I dont know maybe it is the scale that makes them look like dolls.

Nevertheless, congratulations on getting those figures, they are magnificent! I love rainman sculpts and his attention to detail!

They just look like dolls not real people,

!

The thing for me is I could say " they just look like statues , not like real people ". Here's two examples of figures I can think of that look incredibly realistic despite whatever body they may be on or end up on.

Bobby C's Joker.
BBB.jpg

ShortRound's Indy.
collection011.jpg

It may be because I don't see many statues around of humans , especially in this hobby that impress me anymore.

I honestly think I've seen more figures with a higher sense of realism than I have statues ( unless we're talking life size museum quality pieces ). This may be because as you say there isn't enough companies giving high enough attention and detail to their work with statues. At least not comparable to hot toys or rainman quality for example.

I think this is one of the reasons the popular figure companies are starting to produce 1/4 scale figures , since there is a gap in the market for popular character to this quality standard.

Damn that Bobby Joker head looks amazing! Everytime I see that pic, it amazes me how good it is. He made a Joker statue awhile back didnt he?

Back