Thoughts On Netflix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well... I got my 'online only' plan I wanted. Unfortunately Netflix is doing nothing to broaden the amount of instant watches with this new plan of action. I kind of dislike Netflix right now.

I have been a Netflix member since 2001. I used to do the 3 DVD at a time option, and then added the instant when it came along. Thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Still think it is in a lot of ways. But there are a few things that have bothered me over the years:

1. Annoying that not everything in their physical catalogue is available instantly.
2. Worse still is when certain episodes of a show are only available physically. Just yesterday I noticed that certain episodes of The Tudors, randomly scattered about the 4 seasons available are only available via a physical DVD. What the heck??
3. Didn't like the deal they made with the different studios to not have releases available until at least 28 days after the initial release. It seems to take even longer for instant movies.
4. Lots of instant movies are not available in HD when there is a blu-ray available.
5. Didn't like when they were throttling.
6. I haven't tested this, but a friend told me that a physical blu-ray will still look better than their HD streaming version of the same movie.

Obviously I am not a fan of the price hike. But right now I am only doing Instant so it's not as much of a bother. There is tons to watch, and the great thing about instant is discovering stuff I would have never considered renting. However, my biggest fear is that they will continue this trend of having parts of seasons available instantly, and parts physically, so that the only way you can watch the whole show is by subscribing to both services, and therefore paying double. Luckily I just recently finished Spartacus, but now the first 4-5 episodes are only available via physical release, while the rest is available instantly.

Last edited:
Is there any chance that the new pricing structure would be part of a grander scheme to get more titles available instantly? I can't come up with any reasonable connection of dots to why that would be the case, but I'm sure someone on this board has thought through the business angle a bit?

I've had Netflix for some time. I've grown tired of how stale the instant selection has become. Even their "new" instant films are old. I think I'll be looking at other plans before the hike affects me in September.

It's time to buy a Roku.

Since the price increase ( which I was expecting ). Not sure if I will keep my instant queue for 8 dollars a month....just not worth it really. All and all for $9 a month, one dvd rental at a time and unlimited queues, it was well worth it.

I think netflix needs to go nearly totally digital media. Limit views on new releases to so many a month ( whatever it is you are paying and plan ). Say for the $16 plan you get 8 New Release views a month and unlimited normal queue's. Something along those lines...of course, I am uncertain on the agreement netflix has with the movie companies and if they are allowed to do such a thing. All in all, the technology is there to do this idea, get on it netflix!!! I am tired of old Snail Mail to watch new release movies that are ALWAYS on a wait list!

This is only going to get worse as streaming services kill off physical media rental and shrink sales. The media producers (Disney, Sony, Starz, etc...) are going to look for ways to offset loses in sales. They will demand ever greater usage fees from streaming and those fees get passed to us the consumer.

Back