Thor (The Movie) *Spoiler- contains character images*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a good chuckle reading this review of the trailer.

https://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/274-thor-trailer-would-you-like-that-with-cheese

by: Tim Grierson

Today was unofficial "Thor" day, as the upcoming Paramount/Marvel film unveiled its new poster in the morning and its first trailer this evening. It's a great way to build excitement for a movie the two companies hope will be one of summer's biggest hits. And it's entirely possible the film could still do really well. But the trailer does nothing for us.

There were some obvious concerns about "Thor" from the start. It was going to be directed by Kenneth Branagh, who you don't associate with tentpoles. (The closest he ever got to making a big-budget Hollywood film was the utterly disastrous "Frankenstein" with Robert De Niro.) Plus, the film stars Chris Hemsworth, a relative unknown who someone has decided is going to be our next young heartthrob. But such worries aren't insurmountable, right?

You may think differently once you see the trailer. Look past the pumped-up action, pompous slow-mo, and pretty production design, and all you'll see is what appears to be a rather cheesy comic book film. The clip sets up Thor's story: The Norse god of thunder is banished by his father (Anthony Hopkins, with dopey eye patch) to live among humans. One of those humans is Natalie Portman. What happens from there is unclear: There's a big metal creature, a lot of explosions go boom, and Thor throws his signature hammer in a way that looks deeply uncool. Also, perhaps as an enticement to women, we get to see Hemsworth shirtless and he also kisses Portman. It all seems only slightly less silly than the new "Clash of the Titans."

This is a trailer that's trying very hard to match the spirit of the "Iron Man" movies, and it's not just because they're both Marvel properties. One of the things that made the "Iron Man" films so good was that they balanced high-tech action with a hip attitude and a droll sense of humor. If that combination hadn't worked, it would have been disastrous. In fact, it might have looked the way the "Thor" trailer does, which is too goofy to seem really awesome and too lumbering to seem like much fun. As for Hemsworth, imagine the world's buffest surfer dude tossing a hammer around. In 3-D. All of a sudden, Branagh's "Frankenstein" doesn't seem so terrible.

You're right, awesome fan poster, great tagline.

The tagline would be very similar if that was about me, it would say:

"When I fall, I scrape up my knee, then I limp to my wife like a wounded puppy."

You're right, awesome fan poster, great tagline.

The tagline would be very similar if that was about me, it would say:

"When I fall, I scrape up my knee, then I limp to my wife like a wounded puppy."

:lol :lol :lol

by: Tim Grierson

Today was unofficial "Thor" day, as the upcoming Paramount/Marvel film unveiled its new poster in the morning and its first trailer this evening. It's a great way to build excitement for a movie the two companies hope will be one of summer's biggest hits. And it's entirely possible the film could still do really well. But the trailer does nothing for us.

There were some obvious concerns about "Thor" from the start. It was going to be directed by Kenneth Branagh, who you don't associate with tentpoles. (The closest he ever got to making a big-budget Hollywood film was the utterly disastrous "Frankenstein" with Robert De Niro.) Plus, the film stars Chris Hemsworth, a relative unknown who someone has decided is going to be our next young heartthrob. But such worries aren't insurmountable, right?

You may think differently once you see the trailer. Look past the pumped-up action, pompous slow-mo, and pretty production design, and all you'll see is what appears to be a rather cheesy comic book film. The clip sets up Thor's story: The Norse god of thunder is banished by his father (Anthony Hopkins, with dopey eye patch) to live among humans. One of those humans is Natalie Portman. What happens from there is unclear: There's a big metal creature, a lot of explosions go boom, and Thor throws his signature hammer in a way that looks deeply uncool. Also, perhaps as an enticement to women, we get to see Hemsworth shirtless and he also kisses Portman. It all seems only slightly less silly than the new "Clash of the Titans."

This is a trailer that's trying very hard to match the spirit of the "Iron Man" movies, and it's not just because they're both Marvel properties. One of the things that made the "Iron Man" films so good was that they balanced high-tech action with a hip attitude and a droll sense of humor. If that combination hadn't worked, it would have been disastrous. In fact, it might have looked the way the "Thor" trailer does, which is too goofy to seem really awesome and too lumbering to seem like much fun. As for Hemsworth, imagine the world's buffest surfer dude tossing a hammer around. In 3-D. All of a sudden, Branagh's "Frankenstein" doesn't seem so terrible.

This guy needs to die. Like now.

Ok I don't know much about Thor, I only really got to know who he was from the Avengers.

So when he arrives on Earth should have said "Oh no this is Midgard" instead of "Oh no this is Earth"?

Ok I don't know much about Thor, I only really got to know who he was from the Avengers.

So when he arrives on Earth should have said "Oh no this is Midgard" instead of "Oh no this is Earth"?

He should've said "Oh no i'm in this movie!"

Actually, if Natalie Portman was the one waking me up the first thing I would do is sniff my fingers and look for brown finger nails.

Probably not with the "asgardians=aliens" spin they are injecting into the story now.
:gah:

This guy needs to die. Like now.

No kidding. That was probably the best made Frankenstein movie to date. Granted, the Boris Karloff movies are more classic, and Bride of Frankenstein is my personal favorite, the DeNiro movie was easily the best, and closest to the book (better acted, written, etc)

that part actually doesn't bother me as much. I guess I just find aliens to be more believable than actual gods would be in the same universe that Iron Man takes place in:dunno

Why?
They inhabited the same marvelverse in the comics, why not on the screen?
This is fantasy after all.
Somethin' kinda wild about norse gods of legend coexisting with modern wonders of ironmen and supersoldiers at the same time.
No need to rationalize or qualify the existence of asgardians like Lucas did with the Force in the prequels.
How would they explain Dr.Stranges spells in a movie?

I agree. I loved everything about it. The characters, the shots, and DeNiro was fantastic.

Yeah what is the deal with that guy! Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was immense! Deniro was immense and so was Branagh

That guy has no idea what he is talking about

Why?
They inhabited the same marvelverse in the comics, why not on the screen?
This is fantasy after all.
Somethin' kinda wild about norse gods of legend coexisting with modern wonders of ironmen and supersoldiers at the same time.
No need to rationalize or qualify the existence of asgardians like Lucas did with the Force in the prequels.
How would they explain Dr.Stranges spells in a movie?

I don't know, I'm just fine with it for some reason:lol

Back