The Matrix 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you put it that way, sounds like a bit of a snore. Especially without action.

Maybe this needed a big Planet of the Apes surprise twist -- like, they aren't even on Earth but some other world where the machines left Earth ages ago and set up shop elsewhere in the universe... and even the blue "real world" is a secondary "Matrix" to give disgruntled Humans hope.
I think the only reason to check it out is if you're just curious to see what all the talk is about. It's not so awful that it's going to ruin your enjoyment of the original movie, as I was afraid it might, and it doesn't turn the character into a joke like Indy 4 did. At the most it's just another forgettable sequel that we never needed.

To be fair, I didn't quite get the details of the new machine war and what is the current state of humans in the Matrix. At the end of Revolutions, the Architect said that those who wanted to be free, would get their freedom. Was that a one-time deal or for a certain amount of time? Because machines still needed humans, so the matrix was not going to go away. But now, machines are fighting each other for resources, so humans are kind of stuck in the middle of it.
I don't think that Resurrections really specified. We know that Niobe didn't want Neo or Trinity freed because those were the real cash cows for the machines but did that mean that no one else could be freed either?

I too didn't like the "half-baked" nature of the new conflict. It gave me flashbacks to TFA's crappy opening crawl. If humans that want their freedom can still get out then what is the purpose of agents? If they *aren't* allowed out then it was a bad move to omit that important detail.

The Matrix as explained by the architect in Reloaded is meant to repeat itself hence why the series can really continue forever which is why I don’t get the whole self aware mockery on display here since the original plot design calls for infinite sequels.

Architect stated Neo was an integral part of the Matrix and that he was version 6 and that his core purpose was to reboot the Matrix to correct fatal code hence the “Reloaded” title. Neo was the reboot to Smith’s blue screen of death remember those lol

Neo walked away from the architect only agreeing to sacrifice himself to save Trinity and yeah humanity also lol

What I never quite understood was Smith’s ultimate goal with destroying the Matrix and humanity was he also sacrificing himself or was he going to continue to exist as a rogue program within something completely different. Wouldn’t it just be the Matrix again just with a different name but how could Smith exist if he destroyed the machine world.

Ughh **** this convoluted series lol

You nailed it! The plot in Reloaded forces the whole exercise of these films to be redundant. The reboots will always occur because the Matrix is necessary for the machines to continue existing. And no matter how "free" life in the Matrix feels, it's all an illusion. It's all manipulation just to feed the machines.

The only way out of the redundancy loop would be for Neo to evolve into being capable of restoring human dominion. But as long as machines need human batteries for survival, the cycle of repetition will continue. The babies being born in the Matrix aren't actually real people, so they don't contribute energy in the real world because they don't occupy any pods, right? So, I have to assume that more human slaves will always need to be created for the purpose of filling those battery pods.

I thought the first act of Resurrections was actually going to take the story somewhere new where machines didn't have dominion; or maybe Thomas Anderson would be "the one" who actually gave rise to their sentience and eventual control. Man becomes god, then becomes slave. But nope... same story in Resurrections as in the previous films. :lol

To be fair, I didn't quite get the details of the new machine war and what is the current state of humans in the Matrix. At the end of Revolutions, the Architect said that those who wanted to be free, would get their freedom. Was that a one-time deal or for a certain amount of time? Because machines still needed humans, so the matrix was not going to go away. But now, machines are fighting each other for resources, so humans are kind of stuck in the middle of it.

I don't think it's a "machine war" in the sense that it's only between machines.

*SPOILERS AHEAD* (in case anyone else starts reading this)

It's still gotta be machines versus liberated humans, but the difference is that the humans have some machines fighting on *their* side. That's where you get Niobi's line about seeing something she never thought she'd see: machine versus machine. But it's still part of a budding conflict with humans, as you can see from the fact that Bugs and her crew show Neo some updated ways that they avoid detection by smarter sentinels. So sentinels are again dangerous to freed humans.

Niobi tells Neo that Morpheus was given the role of Chair of the Council on Zion, and he loved it. Then the Oracle warned of a new power rising that would again be threatening the peace, but Morpheus had enough hubris to insist that the victory attained by "The One" could never be undone. She goes on to explain that the Oracle disappeared, Morpheus was proven wrong, and the machines *did* undo the peace. Again, the only difference this time was that Neo's example had inspired some of the machines (the "synthients") to fight on the side of the liberated humans.

It's all the same ****, though. Just remember, the Oracle was the one who orchestrated the series of events which created a "peace" in the first place. But the Oracle was a software program designed to study the human psyche in order to find a way to maximize efficiency. The machines upgraded that program (as they do by nature) and "Oracle" was replaced with "Analyst." But they both do the same basic thing by using Neo as their puppet. Each one only tells Neo what he needs to hear in order to ensure that their evaluation of a "better" version of the Matrix is the result.

In the original films, Smith tells Neo that the original Matrix failed because humans didn't respond to a "perfect world" in a way that would energize them. And every reboot of the Matrix is simply an effort to find out what makes people tick so that the machines can get the most juice out of their batteries. Nothing has changed. :lol The system rebooted yet again, but this time with the Analyst replacing the Oracle. And Thomas Anderson was yet again put in a job where he uses computer code on the side; first a hacker, and now making video games and an offshoot modal that leads to being discovered by those in the real world. Same premise, same plot; just superficial differences.

Neo and Trinity effectively replace the Analyst at the end, as they're gonna be the ones to decide what humans want. But the Matrix itself runs on human slaves in pods, so by making it their version of paradise with "a sky full of rainbows," Neo and Trinity are going to run into the same problem the first version of the "Paradise Matrix" that Smith told Neo about. And since Neo and Trinity were resurrected by the machines, there's no telling how "human" they even are. The whole movie is pretty much pointless from a plot standpoint in terms of differentiating itself.
Damn you guys - stop making me THINK about this movie so much! Just let me enjoy my popcorn while I watch fictional characters enter a virtual reality created by fictional sentient machines in which their hot looking avatars wear skintight vinyl and blow away computer generated villains. Is that asking too much? :gah:

Just let me enjoy my popcorn while I watch fictional characters enter a virtual reality created by fictional sentient machines in which their hot looking avatars wear skintight vinyl and blow away computer generated villains. Is that asking too much? :gah:
Well at least you're easy to please.

Damn you guys - stop making me THINK about this movie so much! Just let me enjoy my popcorn while I watch fictional characters enter a virtual reality created by fictional sentient machines in which their hot looking avatars wear skintight vinyl and blow away computer generated villains. Is that asking too much? :gah:

I actually found this the least confusing/thought-provoking of the series but now I'm thinking maybe I wasn't trying hard enough in my old age.

But just to reiterate my earlier questions:
  • How did Morpheus get reduced to code? Is that was happened in The Matrix Online?
  • What was the connection between Morpheus and Smith?
  • Why did Neo look like a different person to others?

Last edited:
I actually found this the least confusing/thought-provoking of the series but now I'm thinking maybe I wasn't trying hard enough in my old age.

But just to reiterate my earlier questions:
  • How did Morpheus get reduced to code? Is that was happened in The Matrix Online?
  • What was the connection between Morpheus and Smith?
  • Why did Neo look like a different person to others?
Morpheus is dead, dead dead. The Morpheus we see in this is a construct created by Neo, mixed with some Smith. Basically a mix of the two most influential people in his life.

Neo looks different because the Architect wants to hide him, they don’t want people to recognise him and try to break him free, worked for a while.

Just finished it. Not as bad as some make it out to be. Dips in a few areas but overall it was OK.

Is there a reason why they didn't use a green filter for the Matrix scenes this time?

Just finished it. Not as bad as some make it out to be. Dips in a few areas but overall it was OK.

Is there a reason why they didn't use a green filter for the Matrix scenes this time?
In world reason: it's a different matrix.

Out of world reason: to not tip the audience off that the first third of the movie isn't real.

I have not seen it yet.

And now you have me thinking of a sequel that is near as good as the original recently. I would say The Winter Soldier bests The First Avenger (direct sequel is questionable). There must be more in the MCU, but then the MCU is sort of its own beast. Maybe LOTR.

But the main sequel that was better than the original that comes to mind recently is The Dark Knight. You likely forgot that one.
oh Wor, Dark Knight was 2008…….13 YEARS ago…..

You are getting old my friend if you classify that as recent….

The Winter Solider maybe qualifies. 2014 so ONLY 8 years ago.

How many sequels have we had in those years?

I believe I did a thread on sequels that beat the originals. I think the consensus was maybe a dozen films in the past 50 years.

Thos odds are pretty bad. ;)

Maybe...

Anybody see "Don't Look Up"...? Is that good?

It's a 2.5 hour commentary on the Trump administration's complete lack of action or concern on climate change. I enjoyed it, although it got quite annoying how close to real life some of the parallels were.

Lazy writing. He can make shields and redirect missiles but can't fly. Couldn't do those things when he was The One. All just a point to emasculate the lead male at the end.

Not at all. His mind was not completely clear yet.

Flying can only be achieved by those who carry the anomaly, Neo, Smith, and Trinity. As a result, Neo can change or break certain rules of the Matrix, but Neo must have a full understanding of reality. He must believe that he's the one so that the anomaly code's is activated. Neo's believe came from Trinity and it wasn't until she kissed him in the first film that the code was activated.

After he died in Revolutions his body was reconstructed by the Analyst, but the Analyst could not reactivate the anomaly code without Trinity. The Analyst controlled Neo using stories to fill Neo's mind with doubts. He used the blue pills to suppress the code in him. The only time Neo shows abilities in Resurrections is when Neo is thinking about Trinnity or near her, hence some of his abilities manifest, but not completely. He even struggles to stop bullets compared to the OG trilogy when he was at full power.

Getting back to Resurrections, Neo has been directly manipulated and experimented on by the Analyst for decades, not to mention getting Neo hooked on the blue pills. It took time for Neo to recover, to detox. Trinity on the other hand, was not under the same level of manipulation. The Analyst used the fake family/bots to keep her in place. That's why she was able to clear her mind more easily and before Neo. Different levels of manipulation.

That's why by the end of the film Neo is back to his old self and at full power. He recovered; his mind completely adjusted. No different than people getting of drugs going through withdrawal.

Last edited:
Back