Constantine sequel with Keanu Reeves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the first one very "meh" so not particularly excited for this. Wish them all the luck in the world, hope it's a success etc etc but personally I'm not fussed about seeing this.
Bit odd how they've chosen to make a sequel to this of all things, after so much time.

Can we, for once - just once, have a comic-book accurate blonde bisexual Liverpudlian scouse accent English John Constantine movie set in Britain?

I liked the Keanu Reeves movie - but he isn't the character, not even close.
An interesting original occult detective movie - sure! Hell even the lore of the setting is its own unique thing.
But Hellblazer or John Constantine? No it isn't.

I’m fairly hyped for it! This coming from someone that has never read a single Constantine comic and probably never will.

Some observations about the 2005 movie:

I gave it a rewatch last night. Just a few things that struck me:

* Keanu Reeves is a total blast to watch in this role. Just watching Keanu act more or less carries the film for me. I get that in the comics he’s a Brit who was inspired by Sting. But having him as an American instead still totally works for me. Keanu is always fun to watch.

* I appreciated the world building. How the movie worked with the mythology of angels and demons. And the sort of 2004 Van Helsing vibe (I enjoyed that movie too) for occultists who know it, with a kind of underground secret lore to what is really going on with it, e.g., how to combat demons and so forth.

* The moral ambiguity of Gabriel. Just the idea of what can happen with archangels. There’s a precedent for it of course!

* At the beginning when John switches from refusing to help Isabel to helping her it almost gave me whiplash. It isn’t clear to me why he changes his mind. But I can overlook that gap in the storytelling. Maybe it’s there and I missed it, though.

* I didn’t mind Shia LeBuff. His character wasn’t necessary, really, but imo he did no harm either. He ended up playing an instrumental role at the end. And I actually felt something about his fate.

And what all this mythology that Constantine sets up has me way hyped, I admit. I really hope… well, I expect… that this character will be part of the main continuity for the DCEU. It sets John up to be akin to Doctor Strange in the MCU, although Doctor Fate from Black Adam is also a contender for that role. But anyway, using this sequel to introduce JL Dark is going to be awesome.

I only know the Constantine character from one Neil Gaiman comic, I think... I got it as a present, it's a story about a kid who goes on some magical quest. Can't remember the name, maybe The books of Magic? (yup, that's it, looked it up) I've got it in storage somewhere, its quite good, with different artists doing different chapters. Anyway, that was my only introduction to Constantine, so I didn't really care whether he was a bisexual, blonde Brit and as Alatar says, Reeves had a lot of fun with the role, so I'm looking forward to this.

As for Constantine's change of heart re: helping Isabel, I think there was a reason given... can't remember now, but it was there. I look it up if it's streaming somewhere right now.

If anything else, it killed the JJ series, so I'm glad. And it'll give us an InArt JonCon dolly, probably. I outgrew Hellblazer a long while ago, but I enjoyed the '05 flick nevertheless. Honestly, I'm quite looking forward to it. I don't even want it to be connected to the DCEU, JonCon went to Hell when he was folded into the mainline DCU and his stories stopped being dirty occultism and became instead boring capemagic.

We'll probably never get Stingstantine at this point, but I do hope they upgrade Keanu's wardrobe. I grew tired of the bum look in the comics too. I prefer the snappy dresser he was introduced as.

1*yCT_6ND6-8ytAC_ZMAdJoQ.jpeg

It's unlikely to have him in a blue pimp suit with gloves, but maybe the classic brown coat on top of a three-piece suit could work. Also, I've seen some manips and Keanu with dyed blonde hair honestly looks pretty sick.

keanu-reeves-constantine.jpg

Which they won't do, but I do hope Keanu shows up with at least a haircut beyond "long hair and beard of sorrow". A slicked back medium length cut with the beard could work. More Wick, less Hobo Neo.

Back