The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't throw you in prison if there is no body and no evidence.

By the way, the large neighborhood cookout idea is very generous of you. All those fresh hamburgers you were just giving away for free to everyone.

"Don't you want to eat one of your own burgers, Harlockfan?"

"I became a vegetarian a week ago. Have another."

Speaking of Twilight, the original choice by the author was actually Emily Browning, who turned it down. ( She was last in, IIRC, American Gods and most people here remember her from Sucker Punch)

Can you imagine Browning's career trajectory if she took Twilight?

Same for Haley Joel Osment, the rumor is he was, at one point, offered Harry Potter. Or multiple executives kept pushing HJO as a front runner to JK Rowling.

Can you imagine the money stacks for HJO then?

But who am I to criticize, I turned down a role in Magic Mike.

Even if you liked Twilight, so what. I watched all of Sex And The City when it was on HBO. I still enjoy Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist.
I wish I could say I read the books. But I can’t. Only watched the first movie. I have read some really crappy stuff but unfortunately… twilight isn’t one of them. Sex in the City? I dated a girl who liked it. About as close as I got to watching it. Perhaps if it was more like Cinemax at midnight when I was a kid.

Those were my wife’s. She didn’t finish the first book. But that is fair. They should have been burned like a proper vampire. Funny the Dune books didn’t spark your interest but it was the Twilight books.

Well I can’t support a book burning but perhaps stuffing with garlic and dismembering it.

The Twilight books stuck out like a sore thumb. The rest just looked like any good fantasy/SciFi book shelf.

The knife btw Rambo inspired? And where are the Albions?

As for questioning your knowledge on sword makers. How can I not when you have a new account, blamed a sword as part of the reason for not liking a show, went in hard on one of the Tolkien experts, and got the physics wrong. The whole post smelled like one of the usual trolls making a fake account to troll.

Last edited:
I haven't seen all of Sex and the City
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Well I can’t support a book burning but perhaps stuffing with garlic and dismembering it.

The Twilight books stuck out like a sore thumb. The rest just looked like any good fantasy/SciFi book shelf.

The knife btw Rambo inspired? And where are the Albions?

As for questioning your knowledge on sword makers. How can I not when you have a new account, blamed a sword as part of the reason for not liking a show, went in hard on one of the Tolkien experts, and got the physics wrong. The whole post smelled like one of the usual trolls making a fake account to troll.
I will have to get the Albion's out of their wooden crates. They are under the workbench you see in the photos since I don't my office ready yet. I believe there is some discussion about the Andy Wood First Blood knives in one of the Rambo figure threads. He makes the most accurate of the movie knives including the Neeley Lile knives. I met Vaughn at Blade Show. He really is a great dude. I personally just liked the Wood better since he had one of the original 13 knives and made an exact copy. Both are great options if you are into that kinda thing.

Episode 3 - underwhelmed. Some nice visuals. Just can't feel immersed; and some of this script wise is just so pedestrian. I can't feel this has ANY connection with Tolkien except the occasional word here and there.

I only watched the first episode and found it painfully dull, does the second episode pick things up any? Was really trying to think of the last thing I watched where I had the strong urge to pick up and fool with my phone while it was on, all I can think of are some of those low-budget Shudder films my wife makes me watch with her.

For reference the Peter Jackson trilogy are some of my favorite all-time films.

I only watched the first episode and found it painfully dull, does the second episode pick things up any? Was really trying to think of the last thing I watched where I had the strong urge to pick up and fool with my phone while it was on, all I can think of are some of those low-budget Shudder films my wife makes me watch with her.

For reference the Peter Jackson trilogy are some of my favorite all-time films.
All I could tell anyone is I'd give it a 5/10 still. I love the Hobbit films and ignore their flaws, and IMO there's a great cast, dynamics, landscapes etc. Same for LOTR.

This series IMO could be summed up as uneven. It's not like Jackson's stuff, where for me the good is so good I blow off what I don't like. It's more like...at times there's an interesting narrative that seems to begin, or visual, or character introduced maybe, and then it just fizzles or gets derailed by a pedestrian script and dynamics.

Does it pick up? I just can't feel immersed. It's watchable, but things happen, and then in episode 3 more things happen, but I never feel any tension about it all - so far at least. It's kinda like picking up a random book at an airport and reading to kill some time. They are TRYING hard I think, but the writers/showrunners just can't seem to stop derailing themselves.

All I could tell anyone is I'd give it a 5/10 still. I love the Hobbit films and ignore their flaws, and IMO there's a great cast, dynamics, landscapes etc. Same for LOTR.

This series IMO could be summed up as uneven. It's not like Jackson's stuff, where for me the good is so good I blow off what I don't like. It's more like...at times there's an interesting narrative that seems to begin, or visual, or character introduced maybe, and then it just fizzles or gets derailed by a pedestrian script and dynamics.

Does it pick up? I just can't feel immersed. It's watchable, but things happen, and then in episode 3 more things happen, but I never feel any tension about it all - so far at least. It's kinda like picking up a random book at an airport and reading to kill some time. They are TRYING hard I think, but the writers/showrunners just can't seem to stop derailing themselves.
I wanted to love it, but it wasn’t there. I just need to be happy with with what we have. I loved the dwarves though. I am sure a dumb nerd that I bought the One Ring from the maker in the size they used for the films. Yes I have that love there. The Peter Jackson films are some of my favorite films of all time. Yes the Hobbit used Orcs that were long dead but still there is a film there if edited it could be great. And I will take a photo of one of my Albions since someone requested it. It is the Sword that was used for inspiration for the film Excalibur (If you believe the tale). I hope everyone has an amazing weekend!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Episode 3 - underwhelmed. Some nice visuals. Just can't feel immersed; and some of this script wise is just so pedestrian. I can't feel this has ANY connection with Tolkien except the occasional word here and there.

The set design in Ep3 was clearly not cheap. That kind of open space Roman look plus done in daylight is prohibitively expensive.

I am weary of Galadriel being defiant no matter what. Just her stock response to everything - Defiance.

The other elves probably celebrated when she jumped off the ship. I mean, she's the ultimate party pooper. Joyless. Not joyless in a purposeful way, but joyless as in oscillating between plain mean and plain entitled.

This will sound like heresy, but I really am interested in what someone like Joss Whedon could do for this kind of production. Not as the full showrunner, but just as a writer. For whatever flaws Whedon has, he usually does a pretty good job writing female characters. In the first Avengers, Whedon squeezed all 6 percent of ScarJo's middling acting ability (i.e. the "surfboard problem", totally wooden but everyone wants to ride it) . I didn't think that was possible.

The set design in Ep3 was clearly not cheap. That kind of open space Roman look plus done in daylight is prohibitively expensive.

I am weary of Galadriel being defiant no matter what. Just her stock response to everything - Defiance.

The other elves probably celebrated when she jumped off the ship. I mean, she's the ultimate party pooper. Joyless. Not joyless in a purposeful way, but joyless as in oscillating between plain mean and plain entitled.

This will sound like heresy, but I really am interested in what someone like Joss Whedon could do for this kind of production. Not as the full showrunner, but just as a writer. For whatever flaws Whedon has, he usually does a pretty good job writing female characters. In the first Avengers, Whedon squeezed all 6 percent of ScarJo's middling acting ability (i.e. the "surfboard problem", totally wooden but everyone wants to ride it) . I didn't think that was possible.
I hate to say it but I think you are right. Most of the problems come from the fact that people just don’t like her at the moment. People just nick pick her character because she is just so unlikeable. Unfortunately that is true.

I hate to say it but I think you are right. Most of the problems come from the fact that people just don’t like her at the moment. People just nick pick her character because she is just so unlikeable. Unfortunately that is true.
I don't know, so far I like her just fine. She's headstrong and arrogant, but she's also a military leader so that's not exactly out of character given her position. In this last episode she also showed signs of realizing she may need to be more flexible - i.e., she'll need allies for the fight ahead. And we're only 3 episodes into a 40 episode series, so I think it's a bit early to be making sweeping judgements. Anyway, so far this younger version of Galadriel is IMO infinitely more interesting to watch than the older Blanchett version, who as I recall spent what little on-screen time she had engulfed in an ethereal glow while staring into a bird bath in the middle of a forest (or something along those lines - it's been a while lol).

I don't know, so far I like her just fine. She's headstrong and arrogant, but she's also a military leader so that's not exactly out of character given her position. In this last episode she also showed signs of realizing she may need to be more flexible - i.e., she'll need allies for the fight ahead. And we're only 3 episodes into a 40 episode series, so I think it's a bit early to be making sweeping judgements. Anyway, so far this younger version of Galadriel is IMO infinitely more interesting to watch than the older Blanchett version, who as I recall spent what little on-screen time she had engulfed in an ethereal glow while staring into a bird bath in the middle of a forest (or something along those lines - it's been a while lol).
Well, Patton got men to fight without resources and turned the whole 3rd army to end the battle of the bugle. He road on the top of tanks in battle. Galadriel’s men laid down their swords and quit without really even trying. So in the show, she didn’t apparently have any leadership qualities. Maybe younger people have forgotten how to inspire? To lead? Right now They are doing a horrible job in selling her. Galadriel is thousands of years old at this point. Maybe I expected immortals like The Jackson films (LOTR) or like Highlander. She should have some wisdom at this point.

Last edited:
This ho-hum reaction to Episode 3 is making me not want to bother sitting through Episode 2 now. Think I might just wait for the season to wrap up, and if I hear it improves dramatically or leads up to something spectacular I can revisit it then.

This ho-hum reaction to Episode 3 is making me not want to bother sitting through Episode 2 now. Think I might just wait for the season to wrap up, and if I hear it improves dramatically or leads up to something spectacular I can revisit it then.
Mileage varies. I really liked it. Numenor was amazing to look at. Very much like a visual from the movies IMO. I did like the story other storyline better though. That’s the one I want to see more of, After Elrond and the Dwarfs of course who was sorely missing this week.

Back