Media The Last of Us Part II

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Last of Us Part II (Confirmed, trailer posted)

That's my reasoning for the sequel. Everyone grew really attached to the two of them, so building from the ground up once again seems like a step backward if we went with two newbs.

Their relationship is already done, so I assume this time around it will be them or Ellie and ghost Joel dealing with some new situation outside of going to the Fireflies.

Lots of people assume he's just her consciousness talking to her... IDK... I won't close the door to the idea, but that seems pretty hack and I don't think they'd do that. At the very least, he'll bite it in this one or the next.

That's what I thought about Ghost Joel too but I thought naaaaah... :lol I don't think it would be bad, TLOU's thing isn't originality, it's good craftsmanship on things that have already been done, so I wouldn't mind Ghost Joel either, it would be pretty poignant actually, even just thinking about it, that she's killing them all because they Killed Joel or something, a good revenge story, I can get behind that.

Or maybeeee....

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:

That's what I thought about Ghost Joel too but I thought naaaaah... :lol I don't think it would be bad, TLOU's thing isn't originality, it's good craftsmanship on things that have already been done, so I wouldn't mind Ghost Joel either, it would be pretty poignant actually, even just thinking about it, that she's killing them all because they Killed Joel or something, a good revenge story, I can get behind that.

Or maybeeee....

Spoiler Spoiler:

Ehhhhh I don't think that's the case, besides it's pretty much in stone he sees her only as a daughter.

Good craftsmanship is an excellent way of putting it.

There's a lot of ways to take their story since the world has gone to hell and I don't think it's going to fall into that TWD by the numbers crap. Anyone can get behind a revenge story, but a great revenge story is even better.

She obviously lost something, since it seems to only affect her as Joel seems to think it's too dangerous from his demeanor.

I would assume that they stayed at Tommy's Dam for good after Salt Lake City... but it's a bit difficult to come up with any good guesses since if they got attacked or something, I assume they would probably kill off Tommy and Joel would be thirsting for blood too... but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Speaking of Revenge, or pseudo revenge, I love the part in Winter when Joel is looking for her and he's torturing those two pricks.

Ehhhhh I don't think that's the case, besides it's pretty much in stone he sees her only as a daughter.

Good craftsmanship is an excellent way of putting it.

There's a lot of ways to take their story since the world has gone to hell and I don't think it's going to fall into that TWD by the numbers crap. Anyone can get behind a revenge story, but a great revenge story is even better.

She obviously lost something, since it seems to only affect her as Joel seems to think it's too dangerous from his demeanor.

I would assume that they stayed at Tommy's Dam for good after Salt Lake City... but it's a bit difficult to come up with any good guesses since if they got attacked or something, I assume they would probably kill off Tommy and Joel would be thirsting for blood too... but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Speaking of Revenge, or pseudo revenge, I love the part in Winter when Joel is looking for her and he's torturing those two pricks.
I could see it happening, but it'd be to risky or to "euro" for a ND game, and it would require some mad writing skills for such a sensitive twist, since it already sounds raunchy from my description :lol, ND games are pretty vanilla in that regard.

I hope they don't milk this franchise for all it's worth, finish the franchise with a plan and leave a little something for the fans to use their imagination.

I honestly can't make anything out of it, and I hope they keep it like that, I hope they show no story trailers at all, the internet would figure out the story in a heartbeat.

Keep the next trailers gameplay-only IMO.

I could see it happening, but it'd be to risky or to "euro" for a ND game, their games are pretty vanilla.

I hope they don't milk this franchise for all it's worth, finish the franchise with a plan and leave a little something for the fans to use their imagination.

I honestly can't make anything out of it, and I hope they keep it like that, I hope they show no story trailers at all, the internet would figure out the story in a heartbeat.

Keep the next trailers gameplay-only IMO.

Did the first game not show a lot of story prior to release? I really didn't follow it much up until it came out.

I'd think they would leave another open ended ending again. I'm really glad they did that where the game literally slams on the brakes, and credits roll. Being spoon fed what comes after is such a ****** thing to do in both games and films. Sometimes it can have value, i.e. MGS1-3 end phone calls.

I don't remember, I just remember the gameplay trailers, they were staged but they were pretty brutal, and that's what sold the game for me.

It was foreshadowed in the game "I hate cliffhangers". :lol

Seriously, the ending was perfect, I struggled with it for days, not because I didn't know what it meant, but because I knew what it meant but it was such a human way to react by Ellie, it was so unexpected, since we're used to cliche stories and endings in games... But no, this one was raw and subdued after all the violence.

Same here. I think it was ballsy to do it that way. And you're absolutely right, we all know she didn't buy his BS, but you don't get the satisfaction of her saying it.

In an interview I watched with Ashley Johnson earlier today, she got asked if she thinks Ellie knows he lied and she said yes too.

The thing about the game as a whole, is how violent and ****ed up the game is throughout, it's got just as much "beauty" in it to counterbalance it. C'mon, you know you had the feels with the giraffe.

It may sound dumb, but the game actually gave me a new perspective on what it's like to be a parent that loves their child. I'm not one myself yet, but it kinda made me look forward to it.

I didn't quite get feels from the giraffes themselves, since they're just graphics, I got feels by seeing Ellie react to them, like she's never seen anything like that, has never gone to the zoo, barely any childhood at all.... Oh man, stay strong ;_;

Well I meant the scene itself, but yeah. It wasn't any different than a parent taking their kid to a Zoo, and that was the point of the game in the end, that type of relationship. Regardless of any agenda, which I don't think detracted or distracted from the experience whatsoever, I think ND did what they set out to do in the end and just do a great game.

I'll say one thing, I hope we don't have online trophies again... fawwwk that ****. I broke a controller out of frustration since the player matching was broken and there was too much a margin of error or screwing up the two journeys.

I think TLOU itself is free of agendas, I think the idea of agendas came to Druckmann after he finished the game and he tried to spin it in promotion, which is why his ending explanation felt completely forced and ultimately turned up to be a lie, but enough about that I don't want to start anything again, that's why TLOU felt so genuine and the characters real.

Oh man, **** it, I've been postponing getting the remastered ed for too long, I need to replay it now.

I really really hope they outdo themselves with this one or at the very least that it's as good as the first one, I think a subpar game would really hurt it.

The uncharted series really doesn't do anything for me anymore, but TLOU I'm still there.

Remastered is great, looks amazing on an HD TV. I remember trying it the first time and immediately noticing the tweaks since I played through it on PS3 over a dozen times. I'm kinda blind to it now though.

I started a new game of it on Hard yesterday. I had a Grounded save going but **** that, I'd rather just enjoy the game in light of the new trailer.

As for what to expect, it might be (at least for some of us since we love it) MGS2 level of upping the ante. The first game is a small cast in a condensed view of the world that just focuses on the two of them. This time around might let the writing stretch it's legs since we don't need build them up again, and have a broader view of what's going on in the world.

ND's statement made me feel a bit better. I don't think they want this to be anything other than flawless since it's just one of those things that went beyond being just a game for some people, myself included.

There are few games for which I hold my breath anymore, sometimes I just want to say "wake me up when HL3 comes out".

But TLOU keeps me going:

I have to admit I was pretty jaded when the trailer dropped, because, well, most things coming out these days, either movies or games (mostly games), are bad or look bad, and the TLOU trailer really isn't anything to write home about (although it doesn't need to be), but the thought of playing another TLOU sure is ****ing exciting.

Last edited:

It was a nice little reveal of seeing them two again, and that's all I took from it. I'm excited at the idea of dumping another week of playing a fresh TLOU again.

I'm just glad with all the time since the last game, we finally know for certain it's happening and we don't just have Nolan North dropping stuff about it in interviews to go by.

Speaking of which, I need to get off my ass and get the Uncharted collection since I've only played UC1. I know some people didn't like the fourth game, but whatever. I still want to give it a fair shot.

Oh and having more work from Gustavo Santaolalla to listen to is pure sex.

Indeed it is, how rare that a game nowadays has legitimately great music.

I could put the main theme on loop the whole day.

Speaking of which, I need to get off my ass and get the Uncharted collection since I've only played UC1. I know some people didn't like the fourth game, but whatever. I still want to give it a fair shot.

the 4th is the second best IMO. Really great way to wrap up a series.

I don't think Ghost Joel will be a thing. TLoU, and Uncharted 4 were pretty grounded in reality relatively speaking. Besides the fungus zombies in TLoU >.> even then, I don't think Naughty Dog would do that.
Same here. I think it was ballsy to do it that way. And you're absolutely right, we all know she didn't buy his BS, but you don't get the satisfaction of her saying it.

In an interview I watched with Ashley Johnson earlier today, she got asked if she thinks Ellie knows he lied and she said yes too.

The thing about the game as a whole, is how violent and ****ed up the game is throughout, it's got just as much "beauty" in it to counterbalance it. C'mon, you know you had the feels with the giraffe.

It may sound dumb, but the game actually gave me a new perspective on what it's like to be a parent that loves their child. I'm not one myself yet, but it kinda made me look forward to it.
Yeah I had doubts that Ellie believed him. Fully at least, cause part of what Joel said was true, that there were other people immune like Ellie. But I think she understands. Also that giraffe scene is still great, omg I love it.

And when you sort of look at it from a parent's perspective (or maybe some sort of relative, like an uncle's since I became one around the time I played TLoU), it does put into perspective why Joel did what he did. Naughty Dog polled single parents and they all understood, and I think still together parents too. Having a new found hope in kids cause of various things made a difference too. But aww, I wanna see Father Pliss! Can I be a cool uncle to the kid? :monkey3

I think "Ghost Joel" would be a little to close to how they used Joker in AK.

Would be interesting though.

Indeed it is, how rare that a game nowadays has legitimately great music.

I could put the main theme on loop the whole day.

Probably my favorite track from the game.

You remember this from a ways back? The artist for ND, Marek Okon did it.

QqIgN8v.jpg

I'm assuming the game might have been in development longer than we thought, as early as 2014. Maybe the government is the antagonist in this one.

I don't think Ghost Joel will be a thing. TLoU, and Uncharted 4 were pretty grounded in reality relatively speaking. Besides the fungus zombies in TLoU >.> even then, I don't think Naughty Dog would do that. Yeah I had doubts that Ellie believed him. Fully at least, cause part of what Joel said was true, that there were other people immune like Ellie. But I think she understands. Also that giraffe scene is still great, omg I love it.

And when you sort of look at it from a parent's perspective (or maybe some sort of relative, like an uncle's since I became one around the time I played TLoU), it does put into perspective why Joel did what he did. Naughty Dog polled single parents and they all understood, and I think still together parents too. Having a new found hope in kids cause of various things made a difference too. But aww, I wanna see Father Pliss! Can I be a cool uncle to the kid? :monkey3

HUTY24D.gif

I think "Ghost Joel" would be a little to close to how they used Joker in AK.

Would be interesting though.

I don't think Ghost Joel would work in this context and would be too much of a distraction. Although I liked it in AK.

I kinda guessed that from the trailer since as stated earlier, it comes off as a revenge plot.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/12/the-last-of-us-2-will-be-a-game-about-hate/

"If the first game was really about the love between these two characters, this story is the counter of that," Druckmann explained early on. "This is story is about hate, through Ellie this time. The first game you play as Joel, this game you play as Ellie."

My MGS2 comparison kinda seems pretty apt now, since Joel will be the supporting character this time around, the same as Snake.

Back