The end of custom Star Trek?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Difficult to tell from the one shot but either the body is too small or the the head too huge (although the head sculpt looks pretty good). Could also be the angle of the shot. The tailoring does not look that great, boots are bad and accessories are light. That said once I see better pics and if there is a confirmation of more pieces in the series I'd still consider buying. Cannot believe that no company is able to pick up this 1:6 license and make a real go of it. Heck we're in a market now where folks are plopping down $150+/figure. A few years ago it was $60-$75-$100. Not sure if it's Paramount greed for the licensing fees or what. The fanbase is huge. But maybe trekkies just don't want to spend the $.

That doesn't really look too high-end IMHO. The boots are atrocious.

The head sculpt is pretty abysmal too. But the 1/6 scale Lost In Space robot kit in the background looks awesome!

I still haven't seen a good Kirk sculpt. None of the customizers I've seen are very good which has stopped me from pursuing a Star Trek collection. Wish someone would get him right.

Sean

I would love some decent figures from TOS. It is hard to imagine that after all these years these are still the best we get.

Here are some of my figures on the Bridge.

From my Stop Motion Film

My understanding is that the Trek licensing is too split up and it makes it difficult to obtain in some areas. SFM had a brutal time going about it and came close to offering, what I think, would have been the definitive Trek lineup. I think it was Diamond who cut them off, then offered an atrocious 1:4 scale Kirk which was one of the worst Trek items I'd ever seen.
The B9 Lost in Space Robot appears to be the current "best option" for those of us who always wanted a proper 1:6 version. Looks like it will be a great companion piece to the 12" Lost in Space figures that came out.

The head sculpt is pretty abysmal too. But the 1/6 scale Lost In Space robot kit in the background looks awesome!

I still haven't seen a good Kirk sculpt. None of the customizers I've seen are very good which has stopped me from pursuing a Star Trek collection. Wish someone would get him right.

Sean

Nanjin's clothing and gear were the best I've seen, truly top notch.
You might want to check out his thread about v1.9.
As for head sculpts, I think both WGP and Spenser are offering very nice sculpts.

WGP's original Kirk "Serious" sculpt was way undersized, though the newer "Smiling" sculpt is actually really nice.

Nanjin's sculpts were just ok, but the uniforms were definitely top-notch, and assuming he can get the same level of detail, his TOS 1.9 project will be even better. The boots need work though, and he's said he's fixing them.

I only have one Spenser head, which I just got (Spock) and I'll paint up and see how it looks this weekend. It looks pretty good. I still think SFM had the BEST Spock sculpt ever, but sadly, it's way oversized. I have an extra one, actually...I wish I could get someone to downsize it a bit.

FYI - The initial prototype sculpts are ALWAYS oversized...this'll surely be shrunk before the figure goes into production, if it ever does.

Here's my custom Kirk, which, IMHO, looks better than the Moebius one. WGP head, Nanjin uniform, on a Enterbay body:

IMG_0640.jpg

Last edited:
SFM's, it must be remembered, were larger because they were prototypes not production pieces. Had they gone to production, they would have had the 9% shrink to make them perfectly sized.

Nanjin's clothing and gear were the best I've seen, truly top notch.
You might want to check out his thread about v1.9.
As for head sculpts, I think both WGP and Spenser are offering very nice sculpts.

Yeah, I've seen everyone's Kirk sculpts but none actually look like him. The uniforms and gear I'm sure are all done nicely, though I haven't pursued it that far as a lack of a decent Kirk likeness made me lose interest.

Sean

Spenser is, WGP is, Nanjin is. And all are great pices offering more than any company probably would.
Playmates had variety but their figures sucked. SFM had a great variety and great sculpts planned but couldn't secure the license.
So, if Moebius has it, what does it mean for customs.
I wasn't sure if Sideshow was distributing them as it was their page I saw Kirk on.
Oh, and if you haven't seen it:
BPer6fPCcAACXmD.jpg:large

Judging by that one picture customs will be going strong :lol

Also, Play Arts Kai are making Abrams Kirk and Spock.

Yeah, no thanks. Into Darkness was the worst Trek movie, yes, even worse than Generations.

Worse than Generations is one thing, but worse than Star Trek V??? :horror:horror:horror

As bad as it was ST V at least had its own original story. Into Darkness is just a poor remake of a superior film, more interested in servicing fans by throwing endless nods to previous films and tv series rather than trying to tell an interesting story.

Yeah, but. . .action scenes were pretty good in Into Darkness. ST V didn't have that, IMO :D

I do agree that Into Darkness was a pretty bad Star Trek entry, but it was a fun little joy ride. That's what Abrams is good at. But yeah, he might as well have just started his own new franchise with as little as he seems to care about the stuff that made Star Trek special in the past. His films share very superficial connections with previous entries IMO.

I think that Kirk looks pretty good if the price is reasonable, but I'm sure it will be stupidly overpriced like every other 1/6 figure these days.

WGP's original Kirk "Serious" sculpt was way undersized, though the newer "Smiling" sculpt is actually really nice.

Nanjin's sculpts were just ok, but the uniforms were definitely top-notch, and assuming he can get the same level of detail, his TOS 1.9 project will be even better. The boots need work though, and he's said he's fixing them.

I only have one Spenser head, which I just got (Spock) and I'll paint up and see how it looks this weekend. It looks pretty good. I still think SFM had the BEST Spock sculpt ever, but sadly, it's way oversized. I have an extra one, actually...I wish I could get someone to downsize it a bit.

FYI - The initial prototype sculpts are ALWAYS oversized...this'll surely be shrunk before the figure goes into production, if it ever does.

Here's my custom Kirk, which, IMHO, looks better than the Moebius one. WGP head, Nanjin uniform, on a Enterbay body:

IMG_0640.jpg

I could shrink them for you:monkey3

Back