The end of custom Star Trek?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WGP (i believe) is offering custom Tom Baker Doctors despite the fact that a licensed one is available through BCS. Some prefer the custom sculpt to the licensed one and see it as a viable alternative to customizing their figures. Point is that most of the time, custom figures look more accurate than a licensed offering which goes through the approvals process with the licensor and gets modified then gets altered after the factory paints are applied and usually doesn't come out looking exactly the way we would like it to or expect it to based on the prototype. Because of this, there will ALWAYS be people making custom figures to their personal preferences regardless of some dumb forum policy. Starting a thread declaring an end to this practice just because ONE company decides to offer an officially licensed version is not only ridiculous but just plain ignorant. Perhaps you should have made a thread called "Moebius Star Trek TOS 1:6 Captain Kirk" and let people make up their own minds about whether or not this is the end-all-be-all definitive William Shatner Star Trek TOS Captain Kirk instead of declaring that the sky is falling. You'd likely have gotten a better reception.

kl241, like Prog, you are misinterpreting the whole point/question here. It is not ignorant to ask a question, but it is to blidly ridicule one who does.
If you go back and read, I "declared" nothing. I did not state the "sky is falling". I simply asked a question about how this release, if distributed by SS, would affect the customs offered here.
The Dr. Who reference doesn't really apply as Sideshow isn't distributing that line.
I did not say that this Kirk figure, or any other, would bring an end to customs being made and/or offered.
Whether the forum policy is dumb or not it is enforceable here. Thus the question as to whether those customs could still be offered here, on this forum. I never said that this figure would put an end to customs being made or available elsewhere.
You guys should read the actual words instead of inferring some meaning that the two of you seem to be projecting on this. That way you might actually have something to contribute to the conversation besides basic, childish bullying and namecalling.

Nexus, agreed [to a point]. My question, if Prog allows it, was: If SS distributes these, will the customs on this forum be made to stop, forcing the customizers to showcase them elsewhere?

There you go, a much more direct question.

To which I respond, sure the forum moderators can do whatever they wish, but as far as I know they've never shown interest to limit customs. They can curb or kill buy/sell here. They have no intention of curbing the art or participation.

We can cite the existence of the GI Joe customs that thrive in the GI Joe section and of course the huge Star Wars customs section as proof that when a company licenses a line it ENHANCES the customs section because now they have:

1)more participants
2)more prefabricated items to buy from Toy Anxiety type places to use for kitbashing
3)more demand to make characters in which the line has yet to provide

Michael Crawford's picture was taken from a better angle
sdcc2013_smallcomp_161.jpg

https://www.mwctoys.com/sdcc2013/sdcc2013_smallcomp_bottom.htm

Like what has been said the uniform needs a lot of work the sculpt is ok although it does seem to make him look quite a bit older than he should be .. it's a promising start I guess.

kl241, like Prog, you are misinterpreting the whole point/question here. It is not ignorant to ask a question, but it is to blidly ridicule one who does.
If you go back and read, I "declared" nothing. I did not state the "sky is falling". I simply asked a question about how this release, if distributed by SS, would affect the customs offered here.
The Dr. Who reference doesn't really apply as Sideshow isn't distributing that line.
I did not say that this Kirk figure, or any other, would bring an end to customs being made and/or offered.
Whether the forum policy is dumb or not it is enforceable here. Thus the question as to whether those customs could still be offered here, on this forum. I never said that this figure would put an end to customs being made or available elsewhere.
You guys should read the actual words instead of inferring some meaning that the two of you seem to be projecting on this. That way you might actually have something to contribute to the conversation besides basic, childish bullying and namecalling.

Sorry, but you're lying. You didn't say anything of the sort regarding the forum's policies or anything. In fact, your vagueness in your original post is glaring. Here it is, with the thread title.

The end of custom Star Trek?
Does the dawn of Moebius' 1:6 Star Trek Captain Kirk figure mean that all the great custom Star Trek items have to end?

How does that post address anything in regards to SSC distribution or SS Freaks posting policy? It doesn't.

You're playing victim here because your silly assumption got blown to bits. Maybe you really believed the silly assumption as posted, or maybe you simply forgot to post your full assumption, either way you're not really looking to have the discussion because you are deflecting to how you're being ridiculed. In truth, you're probably just mad that you're wrong.

In truth, I did not realize I hadn't posted the full question, with explanation, in the original post.
In truth, I'm not lying if I forgot to post it [in the 1st post]
In truth, I'm not playing victim.
In truth, only you and kl241 seemed confused by it enough to start name calling and attacking.
In truth, you both are apparently on the same level [or maybe below] that of thread trolls in this instance. If you have nothing positive to actually contribute to the conversation, which you haven't up to this point, then you are obviously only interested in stirring the pot to incite reaction.
The question was asked, whether understood by you or not, whether completed in the first post or not, it was asked. Most folks that are involved with the customs and/or have been around here the last few years should be able to remember when Dave institued his policy. That policy, is what I was inquiring about. If you don't remember it, look it up. That should keep you from sidetracking and heckling other threads for at least a little while.
If you wish to continue this please do so "off board" so as not to pollute the thread any further.

Nexus, agreed [to a point]. My question, if Prog allows it, was: If SS distributes these, will the customs on this forum be made to stop, forcing the customizers to showcase them elsewhere?

As far as I'm aware, this forum isn't affiliated with Sideshow. So, no.

SnakeDoc

The admin feels pressure not to allow unlicensed work in certain circumstances. If Sideshow was producing figures and customs could potentially cut into SSC's profit margins, then it could happen. The board does have a relationship with SSC in the sense that banners are used here to bring in revenue, SSC staff sometimes participate in the forum, Dave sets up SDCC dinners, he probably knows many of those guys personally, etc. Sale of items may also be prohibited for non-SSC distributed items if the forum receives a C&D. But in general, I think Dave would like to allow as much custom stuff as possible barring anything that would become a hassle or liability to him.

I think the Kirk head on this guy looks good, but that's about all that looks good to me.

I know there is no "official" affiliation with SS. Dave , however, runs the board and is pro Sideshow. As he has said in the past that customs may not be allowed that "compete" with something SS is distributing, I thought to ask would be prudent.

Please read post 63 in which I fully addressed the concern once you actually brought it to full attention, but I think you didn't like the answer so you choose to ignore it or something. :dunno

I'll reiterate...we have a HUGE Star Wars section of customs as well as many GI Joe customs. None of these have ever been treated as a threat to Sideshow or anything of the matter.

As far as I know, the only entity that made any meaningful complaint has been AMC over Walking Dead customs being sold, which isn't even related to Sideshow. Did I miss something?

In truth, I'm trying toi ignore you completely, though it is difficult.
Not ignoring post #63, I just hadn't asked about Star Wars or GI Joe customs.
Each situation being unique, I was asking about Star Trek, which post #63 did not encompass.
Dave, please, stop in and just let us know if you are aware if SS will be distributing or be affiliated with these in any way and if there will be any disturbance in the Trek customs due to it?
Thanks in advance.

Common sense says that trends and precedent can be used to see how something will be treated.

Pretty funny how you seem to be looking for confirmation of your fear even though its not real.

Once again I ask where is the precedent that this forum has ever shut down customizing for an entire license based on SS asking them to? I think its only happened for Walking Dead (sales only), and I don't believe that was SSC driven.

As much as you don't want to hear it, if SSC never shut down this forum over SW or GI Joe customs being as prevalent and huge licenses they are, they aren't going to shut it down over a Captain Kirk figure that probably will only have 2000 made if that.

And, again, NOT talking about SSC shutting anything down or getting involved. Asking about Dave's SSF policy and how/if that would/might affect it.

Asked and answered. Repeatedly.

If you're just wanting Dave to give you the same answer we've already given you ... why don't you send him a private message?

SnakeDoc

Asked and answered. Repeatedly.

If you're just wanting Dave to give you the same answer we've already given you ... why don't you send him a private message?

SnakeDoc

Actually, not.

While lots of opinions have been voiced, there has been NO definitive answer from anyone affiliated with the forum.

Why I reiterated it in my last post? Because Prog keeps inferring that I was talking about SSC involvement, which was of course incorrect. I was clarifying that I meant SSF policy.

As for messaging Dave? I thought this was an open forum and that the answer could impact/affect more than just one person.

Everybody else seems satisfied with the answers already given. If you're wanting personal concerns addressed by a specific individual ... posting a general question to a public forum is a lousy way to get the result you're aiming for.

Message Dave.

SnakeDoc

And following/trolling a thread that you obviously have no interest in seems like a lousy waste of time.
I am aware of no policy that prohibits me from starting a thread to ask a question, whether it is a question that Prog, kl241 or you agree with, care about or have an interest in or not.
I am aware that if you don't agree with it, or have no interest in it that you can choose not to follow the thread.
Rather than berate me on how YOU feel I should do things, why don't you just unsubscribe from the thread? Then we'll all probably be happier.

Who's berating who?

PM Dave. He'll answer. Then you can put this thread out of its misery. Happy days are here again.

SnakeDoc

Don't like a thread, unsubscribe - don't follow it - don't comment.

you guys must be pretty bored to, out of ALL the threads on this whole forum, to have to pick this one to do nothing but try and impose how YOU think things should have been done.
Don't like the thread?
Don't like the question asked?
Don't follow the posts.

Then, happy days may follow.

Back