The end of custom Star Trek?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Moebius Kirk looks worse than the Playmates Masterpiece Kirk from the 90's. All this chicken littling over nothing. Bah!

That's really ... not very good. Looks like customs are still gonna be the way to go. Anyone else also interested in TNG or DS9 lines?

I actually think the head looks pretty good. It does look terribly oversized though.

I remember that Tom and Joy's heads for Sci Fi Metropolis were also sculpted oversize because they were going to shrink in production.
They never went into production so when a few were offered on the board, they were still oversized.

All of the pictures so far do tend to be from funky angle, so it is really hard to tell.

The uniform does look horrible. I might be tempted for the right price if the head ends up smaller.

If the head ends up oversized and it doesn't sell, I can see companies like Hot Toys or Sideshow saying they were glad they didn't pick up the license because it wouldn't sell :gah:

That's really ... not very good. Looks like customs are still gonna be the way to go. Anyone else also interested in TNG or DS9 lines?

I actually commission a DS9 character earlier this year and have the head finished and in hand. I am finishing the outfit, but have been very busy.

I plan to commission Dr. Crusher (since she is the only character never done in 1:6 models) eventually.

And that Moebius Kirk is a terrible likeness.

I actually think the head looks pretty good. It does look terribly oversized though.

I remember that Tom and Joy's heads for Sci Fi Metropolis were also sculpted oversize because they were going to shrink in production.
They never went into production so when a few were offered on the board, they were still oversized.

All of the pictures so far do tend to be from funky angle, so it is really hard to tell.

The uniform does look horrible. I might be tempted for the right price if the head ends up smaller.

If the head ends up oversized and it doesn't sell, I can see companies like Hot Toys or Sideshow saying they were glad they didn't pick up the license because it wouldn't sell :gah:

I agree the head sculpt doesn't look too bad but the outfit looks cheap as hell.

I actually commission a DS9 character earlier this year and have the head finished and in hand. I am finishing the outfit, but have been very busy.

I plan to commission Dr. Crusher (since she is the only character never done in 1:6 models) eventually.

And that Moebius Kirk is a terrible likeness.

SP, Let me know if you're interested in making another outfit. I'm getting tired of nonstarter Trek lines so have been considering commissioning a set of TNG heads followed by a set of DS9s next year. Challenge is finding someone to do outfits and one-offs are expensive.

the head isnt half bad, and with a new paint app. it might be a very afforable choice. still a proto. also..

Here are a few comments I found on the Hobbytalk forum that give me some hope for this figure. The people commenting seem to be familiar with the company:

The Kirk is a prototype; I expect the clothes, boots etc. will be MUCH better (they're putting a huge amount of R&D into this) and the head size will be reduced. From what I've seen the likeness is excellent; I think the lighting here doesn't do it justice.

Jeff is right; the pics I've seen of Dave Fisher's painted Kirk head (sculpt by Jeff Yagher) are much better lit and present a better likeness. I know the Phaser one is removeable from the Phaser two and I think Frank told me there will be different versions of the utility belt (maybe a white handle Phaser variant?)
Shatner is a VERY tricky likeness to catch, but I'm pretty sure Frank told me the licensing folks at CBS found this sculpt to be one of the best they have seen. I think this is a good move on Moebius' part.
Tom

That Moebius Kirk looks worse than the Playmates Masterpiece Kirk from the 90's. All this chicken littling over nothing. Bah!

I'm not saying the pics of the Moebius Kirk [as is] is the end all of Trek. However, it's already lightyears ahead of any Playmates offering just by actually being in scale with real 1:6 figures.
As an offering from Moebius, I'm hoping that the prices will be reflective of this being an action figure and NOT an overpriced HT or SS piece. I do hope that the Moebius quality and attention to detail doesn't mean the cost will go up too high.
Even if not the best likeness when finished, at the right price it is excellent custom fodder.

oh, and I didn't realize asking a genuine question was chicken littling. :huh

It wasn't a genuine question.

You asked whether 1 mediocre Captain Kirk figure will be the end of everyone making their own Star Trek figures of which there are over 100 other characters across the shows that could be made. Its a dumb question.

Maybe you meant to ask simply: "Do you like this Captain Kirk figure?"

I'm looking forward to see how it turns out. If the price is good, I'd take him as is, but for a Sideshow or Hot Toys price, he'll need a lot of work first.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its not a genuine question. I asked it so only I would know if it was genuine or not [and it was!]
There was a policy put in effect on this board that customs could not be sold if a licensed version was available. This offering from Moebius is just that, whether you think it mediocre or not. As it was Sideshow that I first saw showing it, I wanted to what that meant for all the customs being made for Trek.

Perhaps you meant to say "I don't understand why this is being asked so I'll belittle it because I don't agree with it"

Last edited:
1)This forum isn't the US Patent or copyright enforcers. Just because one can't list an item on this forum doesn't make it extinct. :lol

2)There are MANY Doctor Who figures for example being sold on the forum despite whatever rule you refer to anyway.

3)Captain Kirk is just 1 character of many in the ST universe, I doubt all customizers will cease production because of this 1 item.

4)I feel sorry you couldn't determine that your question was absurd (or at best absurdly short sighted) for yourself.

Ironman1188,

I was checking out Moebius Model's facebook page to see if they had a better picture of Kirk and I came across your question and their answer.

Ironman Eleveneightyeight
Will you be posting photos of your 1:6 Captain Kirk figure and/or 1:6 Lost in Space robot?

Moebius Models
Robot soon, Kirk when it's closer to be being finalized, he's still a little rough!

That gives me hope that the end product will look better.

1)This forum isn't the US Patent or copyright enforcers. Just because one can't list an item on this forum doesn't make it extinct. :lol

2)There are MANY Doctor Who figures for example being sold on the forum despite whatever rule you refer to anyway.

3)Captain Kirk is just 1 character of many in the ST universe, I doubt all customizers will cease production because of this 1 item.

4)I feel sorry you couldn't determine that your question was absurd (or at best absurdly short sighted) for yourself.

1- No, it doesn't, but it does have the ability to stop people from selling their items here

2- True, but I don't believe SS is distributing them

3- Also true, but because only Kirk is shown now doesn't mean that Moebius isn't planning to expand the line if it does well.

4- I feel sorry that you can be such an a$$ sometimes

its sad that instead of actively partaking in an objective converstaion you have to attempt to divert the subject with your juvenile belittlings that solely reflect your own subjective opinion.

Last edited:
For me it all depends on where the line goes. Assuming Moebius even makes it to production, tweaks the scale, improves the tailoring, etc. It could take 3-4 years just to get the TOS Bridge Crew done. Never mind TNG, DS9, VOY. To me customs are the only hope for those.

Nexus, agreed [to a point]. My question, if Prog allows it, was: If SS distributes these, will the customs on this forum be made to stop, forcing the customizers to showcase them elsewhere?

Back