The Book Of Boba Fett (December 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reality is that the quiet and self-assured Fett that everyone wants isn't enough to carry his own series.
Mando 1 and 2 proved that thesis wrong. Hell they even found a way for Mando to travel with someone who couldn't talk and they *still* didn't make him as chatty as this new "Fett."

So if they wanted Fett to be an anti-hero then Mando is how they should have done it though obviously that would raise the question of the necessity of having two series about basically the same thing. I believe like others that the cancelled Fett standalone film turned into Mando with Favreau really wanting it to be about Fett (and IG-88, etc.) and then for some reason it morphed into a new character. Then when they *did* introduce the real Fett and he was a huge hit it led them back to making him the star except that Mando had already hit a lot of the main beats that would have otherwise been his.

So we're getting this "different" incarnation that is a complete 180 from his OT (and even Mando Season 2) self. And he sucks.

The best thing they probably could have done was *not* give him his own show and then save the Twin Hutts for Mando with *Fett* walking alongside them looking all badass and making Mando nervous. Then they eventually have an epic showdown and Fett's character/mystique/menace is preserved.

I think Luke was far more interesting when he was learning -- a Jedi in training. Once he went full Jedi, he became boring to me. Too powerful. Less relatable.
Agreed 100%. That's why I've never agreed with those whose favorite Luke is the one from ROTJ or Mando Season 2. ANH, ESB...and TLJ are the most fun Lukes to root for IMO.

Oh I do. I think the Christian mythology steeped in SW had much to do with its initial popularity. I remember many books that broke down Star Wars in religious terms that came out in 1977-78. Simple archetypes obviously. I'm not saying that was the intent -- but that's how a lot of people came to cherish it.

I think Luke was far more interesting when he was learning -- a Jedi in training. Once he went full Jedi, he became boring to me. Too powerful. Less relatable.
Oh, I don't doubt that SW contains a lot of spirituality and has specific sources it draws from. I'm just saying that with pop culture sometimes you can like something for purely aesthetical reasons, regardless of the "mythos" or even message behind it. I used to watch Doctor Who religiously for a decade or so, and it's literally about a hollier-than-thou **** who commits genocides every other weekday then goes on a tirade against weapons. Sure, he's called out on it, but it gets repetitive. Still, I liked core concept and zany, quirky personality of the Doctor that is contrasted with his darker nature, so I still consider myself a Whofan.

I do get your point though. To bring it back to Who, the Doctor is so broken that it sometimes takes the fun out of everything. When he can solo entire universes with his basic arsenal, then all the fun is sucked out of it. But I do have a higher tolerance of power levels since I grew up with comic books and there the power creep was more structured. Grandmaster Luke to me is powerful, but about demigod tier, so I never thought about him in terms of being overpowered.

Mando 1 and 2 proved that thesis wrong. Hell they even found a way for Mando to travel with someone who couldn't talk and they *still* didn't make him as chatty as this new "Fett."

So if they wanted Fett to be an anti-hero then Mando is how they should have done it though obviously that would raise the question of the necessity of having two series about basically the same thing. I believe like others that the cancelled Fett standalone film turned into Mando with Favreau really wanting it to be about Fett (and IG-88, etc.) and then for some reason it morphed into a new character. Then when they *did* introduce the real Fett and he was a huge hit it led them back to making him the star except that Mando had already hit a lot of the main beats that would have otherwise been his.

So we're getting this "different" incarnation that is a complete 180 from his OT (and even Mando Season 2) self. And he sucks.

The best thing they probably could have done was *not* give him his own show and then save the Twin Hutts for Mando with *Fett* walking alongside them looking all badass and making Mando nervous. Then they eventually have an epic showdown and Fett's character/mystique/menace is preserved.
I don’t want people to misunderstand us ESB Fett fans about giving him dialogue.

ESB Fett spoke but it was done at the most minimum to get his point across he didn’t waste a single syllable.

New clone wars Fett is walking around asking for FREAKING ADVISE and chatting away about dreams and long lost memories!

The guy who didn’t blink at Vader is now crying to a lady. :slap

Last edited:
I don’t want people to misunderstand us ESB Fett about giving him dialogue.

ESB Fett spoke but it was done at the most minimum to get his point across he didn’t waste a single syllable.

New clone wars Fett is walking around asking for FREAKING ADVISE and chatting away about dreams and long lost memories!

The guy who didn’t blink at Vader is now crying to a lady. :slap
Yep every word of ESB Fett had a purpose but now this one is all about the color commentary ("even when a Trandoshan compliments you it feels like a threat") and sharing his feelings/weaknesses. :slap

These two shows are a good example of Space Knights and NOT Wizards.

Mandalorians are Space Knights.
Mandalorians are a bunch of violence-loving morons who throw the Galaxy in turmoil, get punked and then go cry about "muh cultcha". They are most definitely NOT Knights. To be a Knight, and not just an Armoured Fighter, you have to follow the Code Of Chivalry. Mandalorians don't have anything close to that, and the Code itself is explicitly Christian.

I should also clarify that I have nothing against "Knights" as heroic icons -- in fact I like the symbolism. But knights are not magical. It's when you get into "Wizards" that I lose interest.

Space Knights are great! Space Wizards I'm not so interested in. Then its Angels vs Devils. And we already have a very large book that covers that fantasy quite well.

Even as a kid watching Star Wars in 1977, I liked Vader in the image of the Black Knight. But as much as I thought it was cool that he could choke Motti from afar, I felt it was a little too magical a power. I thought: where can that power stop? It starts to get very muddy.
Ironically, SW became a religion or a cult. Speaking of which, the Jedi order in the PT was basically the catholic church. I hated it. :lol They're just a bunch of magical Vulcans trying to suppress their emotions so that they don't go full emo Sith. **** that.
I think ultimately it comes down to the fact that you're not into Orders and the politics and all that. I live for that kind of stuff as I always find the manipulating and backstabbing and everything interesting. And I like the mixture of the metaphysical with the tangible as well. So there's really nothing in the core SW that breaks it for me.

At this point we need a Peter Parker to step through a portal and inject Fett with a “cure”, after which Boba grows his pair back and (a) destroys the Bacta tank, (b) has Fennec weld his helmet on so he can’t take it off and (c) goes on a killing spree, starting with the mayor’s mouthpiece.

So rather than it being all about a call to adventure and overcoming adversity that anyone can relate to or appreciate it needs to be another "look at my people and the wrongs that were done to us" lecture. Wonderful. Just what I wanted Boba Fett to be associated with.
I read the article. Didn't really say much. Actor's banter. You can also tell the way Morrison speaks that he's not particularly well-versed concerning Star Wars, it's a little awkward.

Where he's explicitly discussing his culture it's really kind of vague in regards to the show itself.

The actors make sounds with their mouths but say very little, this is not new.

At any rate, I do think the showrunners went in the wrong direction with the Tusken Raiders.

And I'm not arguing against nuance and complexity. Look at the 'Vikings' series. Ragnar and friends are thieving, looting, raping murderers. As soon as he makes it to England he stands by and watches his raiders slaughter unarmed monks and steal their stuff. He's the 'hero' so he stands by and watches without actually participating, sure -- and then promptly takes slaves.

We later get to know these Vikings over the course of a few seasons and we may be invested in their stories but it doesn't shy away from the reality of what they were doing. There's your complexity.

If you were going to show complexity in regards to brutal, low-tech aliens who were originally conceived as bit part boogeymen in a pulp-inspired space opera, you could have at least retained the brutality and harshness at full throttle to keep them scary.

My issue (amongst others) with Disney Tuskens and Disney Boba Fett is the ham-fisted, uninspired storytelling that ... seems(?) ... to pander to the hand-wringing, finger-pointing Twitterati when it should be a piece of pop art that resonates with the primary source material.

I don't really know what happened to be honest --- you can have Cassian Andor shoot an ally in the back to keep him from talking but you need to neuter Boba Fett?

You can have Din straight up murder people and string 'em up for wild 'dogs' to maul and devour, burn stormtroopers alive in combat ... so WTF is actually happening with this show? It's too easy to call out "AGENDAAA!!" -- too easy because we've seen Din Djarin do worse than the things Fett seems to avoid. Recall that he disintegrated wee Jawas for mere theft and murdered wildlife in the same episode. Where was the Disney 'agenda' there?

Maybe it's all just been Filoni'd and it goes no deeper than that. The episodes do feel very much like his Clone Wars cartoon.

Maybe it's all just been Filoni'd and it goes no deeper than that. The episodes do feel very much like his Clone Wars cartoon.
stno.gif

It will become more obvious soon enough.

I've already compartmentalized all my SW media all to hell. Sometimes I just choose to believe the PT never happened (most times.)

In my world, the ST never, ever, ever happened it's all just a bad fever dream Chewbacca is having after eating something he shouldn't have.

In one version of my head canon, things branch out to the Dark Empire timeline. I know it's no masterpiece, but back in 1991 it was the absolute **** and to this day that's one of my favorite looks for Luke.

Mandalorian is one project I can pretty much leave as is. The only episode I didn't like is the Ahsoka one and I can just skip it by accepting he got the spear and some advice about "Grogu" from some old Force sensitive character in between episodes.

If the rest of BoBF turns out to be really terrible, Fett's story is just gonna end with him sitting on that throne in the bookend from Mando S2.

I gotta believe we all do this at this point....pick and choose what works for us and what doesn't. Just because it has a Star Wars logo doesn't make it "official" or "canon" in my mind. Look at all the crazy things they've had to retcon in order to tell ANY of these stories.

I've been rolling my eyes at the worst of the ******** since 1999. Darth Vader "built" C-3PO? Yeah, my ass he did. I take it back, I've been rolling my eyes since 1983. Even as a little kid I knew you never, ever open mouth tongue kiss your own sister. Blleaaaghgh.

TL;DR.....don't be this guy:

Star Wars retard.jpg

I watched all of TCW (& Rebels) and I honestly don't get the hype.

3e78d0851a543758c4e196afd704071fea1941dfr1-540-220_hq.gif

The average Dark Horse comic was better written. I seriously don't get why everyone sucks off Filloni.
Well they are cartoons for kids for the most part, and a lot of it is forgettable, but when they get good they get pretty good.

The best episodes and scenes of TCW and Rebels are some of the best Star Wars content out there imo.

I think ultimately it comes down to the fact that you're not into Orders and the politics and all that. I live for that kind of stuff

Well that's a bit of a broad categorization for me. :lol Everything is politics. But I get what you mean... and yes, maybe Orders just isn't my thing. Certainly not Organized 'Religion'.

Back