The Book Of Boba Fett (December 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reality is that the quiet and self-assured Fett that everyone wants isn't enough to carry his own series.

He's best off being a solid side character and not the main protagonist that people have to emotionally invest in. What worked for Mando was never going to work for Fett.

They shot their load with Mando, because he really was the Fett character from the first episode of his own series. He was the Clint Eastwood Fett in that bar on the ice planet. Even ended the fight by bisecting the runner by closing the door on him.

He was brutal, as was the actual Fett later in The Mandalorian.

So far, the Fett of TBOBF has been sanitised and re-imagined, as the caring, sharing man who prides himself on respect. It's as though something happened to him in the Sarlacc and he was 'born again'. Yet it didn't. It only happened when they wrote his character for TBOBF, because his TM appearance was also obviously post Sarlacc.

TBOBF shows that he was different both before and after his TM appearances.

I gave the Jedi a chance to carry a trilogy with the PT... and I was not satisfied. Their 'jobs' didn't make sense, their powers were inconsistent; hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side. That's what makes The Mandalorian work.

I was going to write something with that quote earlier today in The Rise of Skywalker thread. Along the lines that both the Jedi and Sith were zealots, and the 'star wars' were a schism, a holy war. And that as a child I preferred Han to Luke, because he didn't like hokey religions either - but the Jedi as an order of zealots really only became a thing with the PT, and was examined in the ST with Luke withdrawing from it, and Yoda saying to burn the books, or something.

I have no interest in jacked angels.

You must hate Snyder Superman then. :lol
I prefer heroes grounded in some kind of reality, relying on their wits and daring, and not given a 'magical' crutch.

Those heroes only work if they're cool and badass. Or the quiet humble warrior type. Preferably male too, but that's a personal preference.

Not too many characters like that in SW. That's probably why Mando worked so well.

If your cat was named Boba Fett…

He’s even got the all white jump suit lol

1641753000973.gif

Batman can kill Superman lol

Virtually impossible, but the movies and comics would have you think so.

In real life, Superman would conquer the world -- half the population would be wiped out for fighting against him, the other half would willfully embrace their master. I would have never believed that until recently.

Last edited:
Here's where I disagree. You can get magical warlocks in just about every comic book out there. Even super soldiers have become magical.
Sure, you can find Magicians everywhere. But not Magician Knights... IN SPACE! That's pretty unique. That's the only thing SW has that makes it stand out from the pulpy shows and comics that inspired it. Otherwise it's a bunch of mashed-up cliches.

I'm not a religious person and I have no interest in jacked angels.
Eh, they're still obviously flesh & blood. The power-levels depend on the franchise itself. Someone like Silver Surfer could solo entire IPs' universes, but in the MU he's not god. Likewise in SW some Jedi/Sith can be completely broken, but most of them absolutely have set limits and everything. I don't think personal spirituality has anything to do with it; it's just about what each person finds cool. It's pop culture, it speaks to aesthetical preferences more than anything.

I prefer heroes grounded in some kind of reality, relying on their wits and daring, and not given a 'magical' crutch.
I like lots of archetypes and kinds of characters. But each one of them has to fit the world they inhabit. I just don't see the point of getting invested in a literal Space Opera with Space Magic as its core, and out of everything in it, liking the boring everyman operator that you can find in literally any other franchise in the exact same model. If I want to be engaged in a war-fi story, I'll go play/watch MGS. If I want CyberPunk I'll go play Deus Ex. I don't see the point in writing a CyberPunk story in Star Wars, unless it involves the Jedi/Sith/Force to show the contrast of the genre against the unique ingredient of SW.

Each to his own and everything, I just never got this type of thinking. I have seperate things to cater to seperate preferences.

Virtually impossible, but the movies and comics would have you think do.

In real life, Superman would conquer the world -- half the population would be wiped out for fighting against him,

AG6bitv.gif

the other half would willfully embrace their master. I would have never believed that until recently.
jX3rWQL.gif

They shot their load with Mando, because he really was the Fett character from the first episode of his own series. He was the Clint Eastwood Fett in that bar on the ice planet. Even ended the fight by bisecting the runner by closing the door on him.

He was brutal, as was the actual Fett later in The Mandalorian.

So far, the Fett of TBOBF has been sanitised and re-imagined, as the caring, sharing man who prides himself on respect. It's as though something happened to him in the Sarlacc and he was 'born again'. Yet it didn't. It only happened when they wrote his character for TBOBF, because his TM appearance was also obviously post Sarlacc.

TBOBF shows that he was different both before and after his TM appearances.
Very well put. :lecture

Glad they have us that with Mando though. His story arc through both seasons was very well done.

I don't think personal spirituality has anything to do with it; it's just about what each person finds cool. It's pop culture, it speaks to aesthetical preferences more than anything.

Oh I do. I think the Christian mythology steeped in SW had much to do with its initial popularity. I remember many books that broke down Star Wars in religious terms that came out in 1977-78. Simple archetypes obviously. I'm not saying that was the intent -- but that's how a lot of people came to cherish it.

I think Luke was far more interesting when he was learning -- a Jedi in training. Once he went full Jedi, he became boring to me. Too powerful. Less relatable.

I gave the Jedi a chance to carry a trilogy with the PT... and I was not satisfied. Their 'jobs' didn't make sense, their powers were inconsistent; hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side. That's what makes The Mandalorian work.
Problem is George in full control telling that story. He was ripped hard for even the dialogue he was going to have in the OT.
Oh I do. I think the Christian mythology steeped in SW had much to do with its initial popularity. I remember many books that broke down Star Wars in religious terms that came out in 1977-78. Simple archetypes obviously. I'm not saying that was the intent -- but that's how a lot of people came to cherish it.

I think Luke was far more interesting when he was learning -- a Jedi in training. Once he went full Jedi, he became boring to me. Too powerful. Less relatable.
You should read Wookiepedia Legends content about Luke post-ROTJ. Heavy lies the crown and rebuilding an entire order.

I should also clarify that I have nothing against "Knights" as heroic icons -- in fact I like the symbolism. But knights are not magical. It's when you get into "Wizards" that I lose interest.

Space Knights are great! Space Wizards I'm not so interested in. Then its Angels vs Devils. And we already have a very large book that covers that fantasy quite well.

Even as a kid watching Star Wars in 1977, I liked Vader in the image of the Black Knight. But as much as I thought it was cool that he could choke Motti from afar, I felt it was a little too magical a power. I thought: where can that power stop? It starts to get very muddy.

Ironically, SW became a religion or a cult. Speaking of which, the Jedi order in the PT was basically the catholic church. I hated it. :lol They're just a bunch of magical Vulcans trying to suppress their emotions so that they don't go full emo Sith. **** that.

I'm on the opposite spectrum with Luke. I liked him when he finally went "full jedi" in ROTJ, but I never saw him as a true jedi, or at least as they were depicted in the PT. How could he be a true Jedi? He had very little training or knowledge of the Jedi history. He was like the average "Christian" person, the type that believes and is not an atheist, but doesn't go to church regularly, but knows a little bit about the religion and history. The PT Jedi were orthodox monks or priests.

Last edited:
Ironically, SW became a religion or a cult. Speaking of which, the Jedi order in the ST was basically the catholic church. I hated it. :lol They're just a bunch of magical Vulcans trying to suppress their emotions so that they don't go full emo Sith. **** that.

I'm on the opposite spectrum with Luke. I liked him when he finally went "full jedi" in ROTJ, but I never saw him as a true jedi, or at least as they were depicted in the ST. How could he be a true Jedi? He had very little training or knowledge of the Jedi history. He was like the average "Christian" person, the type that believes and is not an atheist, but doesn't go to church regularly, but knows a little bit about the religion and history. The ST Jedi were orthodox monks or priests.
Don’t you mean the PT?

In 77 when I first those shiny white troopers next to matte black Vader I lost my freaking mind and forgot about the outside world.

Yep. It gets lost on people who weren't there just how seminal that movie is for, say, a boy of 6-15 in 1977. For all ages of course, but particularly that target age.

In movies then, the closest thing we had to heroic fantasy was James Bond, or childish things like Wizard of Oz or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which we had all outgrown by 8 years old. If you were 12 or 13, the closest thing to 'fantasy' was disaster movies and your modern hero was Dirty Harry. :lol

There was just nothing like it. Not even in comic books, which almost all took place in a city.

Last edited:

Not only more interesting but more heroic. He knew he wasn't ready to take on Vader in ESB but that wasn't going to prevent him from trying to save his friends.

Latest posts

Back