The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started buying used laserdiscs a few years ago in Japan. At the second hand store they had hundreds of them, usually for a buck a piece.

They also had the complete Twin Peaks box set from the early 90s, only ten bucks.

I grabbed so many of them. RoboCop 1 and 2, Blade Runner, Batman, Pulp Fiction, Scarface.

Unfortunately, when I had to leave, I had to make a decision. Those things are freaking HEAVY after all. I think the TP boxset weighed about 20 pounds. I gave that one to a friend. The rest? I threw out the discs and saved the awesome LP-like jackets.

I know. That wasn't cool. But I had no choice! Well...my act of desecration just made the ones collectors kept that much more valuable.

I wouldn't worry, digital > analog anyway.

So, what's the current thinking on QD-OLED v MLA WOLED v micro LED? My set is way overdue for an upgrade.
My head hurts.

This is my recommendation.

If you have a super bright room OR you just absolutely love being blasted by 2,000-3,000 nits of brightness you should go with a mini-led (TCL-QM8 come to mind).

If you have a dark room or super bright lights irritate your vision then go with an OLED.

OLED still offer the best PQ overall.

Fin

Last edited:
That said I did keep a set of sealed THX SW OT discs as well as Macross: Do You Remember Love just to have as collectibles.

I loved the big graphics of the jacket art, so reminiscent of LPs, but with the added charm of being in Japanese.The only ones I kept the disc for were the rare anime ones. I have Macross: Flashback 2012, AKIRA regular edition and special edition (I also have the US three disc Criterion AKIRA LD) the AKIRA Sound Clip LD (which is an 8 inch LD..never saw one of those before!) and Robot Carnival, Manie Manie, Memories. All that Otomo goodness. Great packaging on all of these.

Funny, I've only ever considered the "name brands" (Samsung, LG etc). So TCL offers decent PQ?
QM8 is their first stellar product especially for the price point.

They finally got it right it easily competes with the best.

Great mini led + software + nits combination.

Sure you can spend a thousand more for additional nits but at a diminishing roi.

Last edited:
True, streaming isn't quite as good but it's surprisingly close according to expert tests (if you have the bandwidth, obvs).
I think 4k picture on streaming looks pretty good. Anything less and I start noticing the issues.

For my set up i have a downgrade in sound no matter the streaming format. Just don’t get that boom that I do with physical media

QM8 is their first stellar product especially for the price point.

They finally got it right it easily competes with the best.

Great mini led + software + nits combination.

Sure you can spend a thousand more for additional nits but at a diminishing roi.
How do you know all this ****???

Another "plus" for streaming: Disney+ will offer 3D content for Apple Vision Pro users (and probably other-brand headsets in future)!

(Plus you can watch Mando at the Mos Espa Drive-In!)

Also, as shown in another part of the presentation, AWOW 3D!

(I'd still rather own than subscribe though.)

Also,

American Graffiti and Duel later in the year in 4K. Rumor has it that both versions of Duel will be included which I think is a first on disc.

Back