The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. But my collection is small. After paying to own the very best versions of all my favorite movies on VHS and then DVD, I said "OK, this is good enough!" when it came to bluray. Not upgrading to 4K.

I still have a wishlist of stuff that was never released on BD, but now I think it'll likely never happen. I'm sure Blurays are going the way of DVD at this point.

I don't trust streaming. I don't trust movie studios. Always trying to change and censor stuff. You can't even watch "Roger Rabbit" it the original theaterical version unless you kept you VHS or laserdisc player.

I think a BD player that doesn't connect to the internet is the only way to really preserve your collection. If it does connect, the studio can just update it so that the BD you paid for and own won't even play. Very shady.

I don't trust streaming. I don't trust movie studios. Always trying to change and censor stuff. You can't even watch "Roger Rabbit" it the original theaterical version unless you kept you VHS or laserdisc player.

I think a BD player that doesn't connect to the internet is the only way to really preserve your collection. If it does connect, the studio can just update it so that the BD you paid for and own won't even play. Very shady.

That's scary.

Imagine putting a movie in and wondering if Han will shoot first or if Feds will chase E.T. with guns or radios this time?

I just lost most of my 4K disc collection during a move. The bookcase they were in was damaged and the top half fell off from the truck at some point. very sad;. I had activated all the digital codes so I have them digitally, but I lost some great steelbooks and some of my favorite movies there, lost all the Marvel movies, though luckily I still have all the Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings sets.

mudanca-fall-out.gif

I just lost most of my 4K disc collection during a move. The bookcase they were in was damaged and the top half fell off from the truck at some point. very sad;. I had activated all the digital codes so I have them digitally, but I lost some great steelbooks and some of my favorite movies there, lost all the Marvel movies, though luckily I still have all the Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings sets.

That sucks man. I think we can all sympathize. We're all crazy obsessed collectors, and I'm sure most of us have multiple obsessive collections in addition to figures, like LPs or sneakers or comic books. Steelbooks are definitely something to collect and obsess over, so losing them is an absolute blow.

I moved from Japan to Ohio a year ago. I was VERY lucky that all the stuff I sent in boxes to come here by boat eventually made it to me, and nothing was lost or damaged. But I had to leave a TON of stuff behind...hundreds of books, oversized toys and figures, posters that were really rare and expensive, and even the Hot Toys 1989 Batmobile.

I left it all with a few friends, and it seemed OK, but it's been a year now. Surely they're getting tired of storing my stuff, especially considering how small Japanese houses and apartments are. I honestly don't know if I'll ever get any of it back. Really want those posters.

It adds up....I sent one standard size tube once and it was $50. Japan Post's prices have skyrocketed since then. I left about 6 or 7 tubes with my buddy. Once I have way to pay for it, I'm gonna try to get him to start sending them, one tube at a time.

I have the Django Unchained Japanese movie poster (at my buddy's place...) It's so cool!

Django Japanese.jpg

I have 500 movies on VUDU :slap

Plus 100 of my MUST OWN discs.

Will never go above 100 discs that’s already too much.

I got that beat in both categories :( :(

Luckily I'm very discerning with my must-own list and currently have just under 200 in my digital (Apple) library. It's a work in progress but I don't expect to ever exceed 300 (mainly SF and CBMs, of course, with a few other masterpieces).

Apple generously upgrades HD titles to 4K for free, one of the reasons I decided to go all-in on the platform. But I reserve the right to make unencrypted backups of the stuff I've bought (as noted above the industry doesn't exactly make it easy for those doing the right thing).

Unfortunately the 4K versions can't be downloaded, only streamed.

For those that care about best pic and sound…. Yep.

True, streaming isn't quite as good but it's surprisingly close according to expert tests (if you have the bandwidth, obvs).

I started buying used laserdiscs a few years ago in Japan. At the second hand store they had hundreds of them, usually for a buck a piece.

They also had the complete Twin Peaks box set from the early 90s, only ten bucks.

I grabbed so many of them. RoboCop 1 and 2, Blade Runner, Batman, Pulp Fiction, Scarface.

Unfortunately, when I had to leave, I had to make a decision. Those things are freaking HEAVY after all. I think the TP boxset weighed about 20 pounds. I gave that one to a friend. The rest? I threw out the discs and saved the awesome LP-like jackets.

I know. That wasn't cool. But I had no choice! Well...my act of desecration just made the ones collectors kept that much more valuable.

Well I bought all mine when they first came out and they definitely were not a buck a piece! The Twin Peaks sets, Criterions of RoboCop, Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver, plus multiple Star Wars box sets, all those nice Deluxe versions of Abyss, T2, The Thing, Pulp Fiction, Se7en, Jaws, 1941, Close Encounters, Frighteners. Plus I got my Howling laserdisc cover signed by Bob Picardo! They are such beautiful sets with the liner notes and gatefolds, I started to sell them but as you say I was getting such little money I figured as long as I’ve got the space I’m keeping them. Still got a player as well.

I started buying used laserdiscs a few years ago in Japan. At the second hand store they had hundreds of them, usually for a buck a piece.

They also had the complete Twin Peaks box set from the early 90s, only ten bucks.

I grabbed so many of them. RoboCop 1 and 2, Blade Runner, Batman, Pulp Fiction, Scarface.

Unfortunately, when I had to leave, I had to make a decision. Those things are freaking HEAVY after all. I think the TP boxset weighed about 20 pounds. I gave that one to a friend. The rest? I threw out the discs and saved the awesome LP-like jackets.

I know. That wasn't cool. But I had no choice! Well...my act of desecration just made the ones collectors kept that much more valuable.
You're good on keeping the jackets. LD's were notorious for laser rot which was rearing it's ugly head for some of my movies as far back as the 90's so I can't even imagine how horrid they'd be today. That said I did keep a set of sealed THX SW OT discs as well as Macross: Do You Remember Love just to have as collectibles.

Back