The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed with this. Spider-Man has been A-list for forty years, Iron Man for six. Once RDJ leaves Iron Man the character will go back to B-list, the actor is a huge part of the characters popularity wheras with others like Batman, Spider-Man, Superman and Wolverine the characters themselves are the sole draw.

Can't disagree, it really doesn't matter if Spidey is Nicholas Hammond or Andrew Garfield. IM/Tony Stark is RDJ and its going to take one hell of a performance by anyone else to make people think different.

Are people reading more Iron Man comics? I feel like the audience likes RDJ more than Iron Man. I can't see that popularity translating to comic sales

Are people reading more Iron Man comics? I feel like the audience likes RDJ more than Iron Man. I can't see that popularity translating to comic sales

Yes, more than they ever have I'd say. However, thanks to digital media and now the ability to get your comics digitally, I'd say that actually physical comic book sales have gone down. Yet the sales profits have gone up and that's mostly because they've raised the cost of the books!

However, Spider-man is Marvel's top-selling comic book. It is consistently in the Top 10 of Sales.

Oh see, I thought we were talking about now, as in 2014. Comics, cinema, merchandise, everything.

Well Avengers only really outmatches Spidey in Cinema. In Comics Spidey still rules over them.

For merchandise if you were to only count the avengers branded merchandise, as in not the individual iron Man, Thor, Cap stuff then Spidey probably matches or perhaps even exceeds Avengers branded merchandise.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see RDJ go, and its not because I dislike him, but I am beyond curious to see how it effect a the MCU overall. I think its going to be brutal, but I really want to see if they 'Bond' the role or hand the keys to Rhodey.

As far as Spidery being more replaceable, maybe so, because he's more of an everyman, but I think Garfield could have been a majority king of the Spidery heap if they handled it a little better from the start.

Oh see, I thought we were talking about now, as in 2014. Comics, cinema, merchandise, everything.

Not before RDJ was cast, not 10 years ago, not 10 years from the present, but now, 2014. Avengers and Iron Man are bigger than Spider-Man currently, whether fan boys like it are not.

I'm not even that enthralled with Marvel anything be it Marvel Studios, Sony, Fox or what have you. But I'm not sure what's worse (or more petty). The fans that think the Marvel Studios/Avengers stuff is far superior and bash the crap out of the likes of the Spider-Man and X-Men stuff. Or the Spider-Man/X-Men fans from a series of films that have been humbled by the big guns over at Marvel Studios.

It doesn't have to be a pissing contest, but let's face it, the Avengers and Co. are it right now. Even if it's because of Robert Downey Jr. that's still how it is now.

Sorry bro but Nah. Spidey is way more popular. Put spidey in the avengers universe and Iron man who? Spiderman has an awful but successful show on disney thats more popular than the avengers. Comic book wise spiderman is more popular. They give iron man a show but only with the avengers in it. A show on his own wouldnt draw many viewers. like others said. iron man only works because RDJ made him relevant and thats why disney is paying out the ass so he wont leave. Once he leaves the character wont be as big anymore.
Spidey also is a more relatable character,a bigger fanbase worldwide and will always be the flagship of the marvel franchise. Iron man had 1 great movie (solo) and the others were just sub par or just decent.

Thats why they practically begged him to join the avengers and he almost kicked all of there asses (including iron man) when they started being dicks toward him. Without spiderman Marvel wouldnt even be where it is today. Nobody didnt know who the hell half the avengers were til the movie. Spidey's always and forever will be a household name.:cuckoo:

:lol

Prove that it's more popular.

Spiderman is always front in center for marvel. Spidey is very popular overseas. Places like japan and other countries. Spiderman's show is more popular than the avengers show on disney (even though its bad). Spidey comics still outsell every iron man comic book. People still beg and plead marvel to get the rights back so spiderman can be part of the universe.
Merchandise for spiderman sells more than iron man. Without RDJ iron man wouldnt even be relevant. He makes those movies.

Spiderman was king until RDJ. They turned Iron Man into a way funner version of Batman. Billionaire with dead parents uses his company to fund his vigilantism and make a difference. But instead of long periods of mopey reflection we get Malibu party time which is a lot funner to watch. But like someone just said, remove RDJ from that equation and we'll see just how well IM holds up.

I would be surprised though if more people in general have heard of Iron Man rather than Spidey. Spidey has enjoyed the popularity IM is right now for decades longer. I think he's far more ingrained in Pop Culture in general. In the early 90s no one really watched the Iron Man cartoon, it was all about the X-Men, Spiderman, Superman and Batman. Spiderman also got his own video games etc back then. Had the old live action show...

In the long run Spidey can outlast IM one on one for one great reason, a far more well known gallery of rogues to continue to put him up against.

Spiderman was king until RDJ. They turned Iron Man into a way funner version of Batman. Billionaire with dead parents uses his company to fund his vigilantism and make a difference. But instead of long periods of mopey reflection we get Malibu party time which is a lot funner to watch. But like someone just said, remove RDJ from that equation and we'll see just how well IM holds up.

I would be surprised though if more people in general have heard of Iron Man rather than Spidey. Spidey has enjoyed the popularity IM is right now for decades longer. I think he's far more ingrained in Pop Culture in general. In the early 90s no one really watched the Iron Man cartoon, it was all about the X-Men, Spiderman, Superman and Batman. Spiderman also got his own video games etc back then. Had the old live action show...

In the long run Spidey can outlast IM one on one for one great reason, a far more well known gallery of rogues to continue to put him up against.

:goodpost::lecture.

Iron man's former popularity feels more like a phase more than becoming as iconic as spiderman or batman. They've been around for years and will be when we are gone. The Big three superhero's of all time are Batman, superman and spiderman, they are what people think of when you think superhero.

batman is more popular than superman but Superman is still the most iconic and well known superhero of all time and everyone and there mother know his origin and powers.
Ask a casual who is iron mans greatest enemy.

I feel as though if spiderman were in the avengers universe then none of the other characters would even get a second glance. Spiderman and Iron man together in a movie would make bank. I always thought spiderman was better alone anyway but thats just me. Spidey 2 is making millions overseas so Im not scared that the characters popularity will diminish anytime. He's still marvels big hero. Superior spiderman is the best selling digital marvel comic.

Agree with all this.

Still, going back to this (and wez's comments)

As of right now, I wouldn't say Spider-Man is bigger than the Avengers. Not by any stretch. Not with Avengers current surge of popularity. Now will the Avengers and Iron Man have the longevity that Spider-Man has experienced? I doubt it. But as of NOW that remains to be seen.

Out of all the Marvel characters, Spidey is definitely my favorite and always has been. As far as the popularity contest goes for 2014, 2015 though? I think the Avengers, or atleast Iron Man (as long as he's apart of the team), is it. It's ****ing huge whether people like it or not. It doesn't matter if it is because of Robert Downey Jr., it's the "it" thing now. Look at how well all this Avengers and Iron Man **** has been received in other countries (particularly Asia), or the toys, or the outrageous box office numbers (something that genuinely surprised me for Iron Man III) or the merchandise (all the people on these forums fuming about the Hot Toys Iron Man and Avengers collectibles). It's outrageously huge and currently bigger than anything Spider-Man. Even if it is just all a phase, I was talking about the here and now.

Not that any of this matters.
I agree on the movie part of popularity but overall its still spiderman 5 years from now kids still wont know who IM is its always going to come down to Spiderman Batman and maybe Superman in the comic book world IM aint **** in terms of sales and popularity .

Or who knows, asm 3 could end up being batman and robin levels of bad, and end up making spidey disappear for a few years. Long term, however, spidey has the staying power, Especially if they cut the chosen one crap, and bring him back to more of the Everyman concept.

but right now ? Asm is makings millions.

avengers made 1.5 billion.

Spidery may not be the immediate money draw, but his popularity is more than just what his latest movie is putting out. Ive seen neonates grab towards Spidey stuff, in a pile of toys. His visualization has a huge appeal even before kids are introduced to the character.

Its not an accident that throughout his history Marvel has maximized him in media.

Or who knows, asm 3 could end up being batman and robin levels of bad, and end up making spidey disappear for a few years. Long term, however, spidey has the staying power, Especially if they cut the chosen one crap, and bring him back to more of the Everyman concept.

but right now ? Asm is makings millions.

avengers made 1.5 billion.

that ALREADY happened, buddy.....

GMnJoKW.gif

May be we'll see who's bigger when they start to slip, will they bring the Avengers and IM to save Spidey in ASM4 or ASM5?

More likely seeing as they've hinted at it, when the Avengers are on the slide after the 3rd film who'll be brought in to pick them up?

:goodpost::lecture.

Iron man's former popularity feels more like a phase more than becoming as iconic as spiderman or batman. They've been around for years and will be when we are gone. The Big three superhero's of all time are Batman, superman and spiderman, they are what people think of when you think superhero.

batman is more popular than superman but Superman is still the most iconic and well known superhero of all time and everyone and there mother know his origin and powers.
Ask a casual who is iron mans greatest enemy.

Those iconic characters have been popular and iconic for decades, they endure. The thing with Iron Man is he's been around for decades but never reached that as he obviously doesn't hold the same draw, so he has a boost in popularity but history says he can't endure as the base concepts don't have the same draw.

:exactly:

Spoiler-The Spiderman 3 villains have been leaked...Doc Ock and Vulture

super-tentacle.jpgcondorman-img.jpg

Back