Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the thing ....it's the same problem I am having with Beetleguise.

This all looks contrived.....

It's like they got a bunch of people who "think" they know about Aliens, and they are copycatting on what they "think" they remember being scary about aliens......

No really creative people, just larping.

I feel like all of Hollywood is just directors who are really "high brow" types, and do these films to get a foot in the door, but all they really do is copy the style with no real care about the material at all.

Pretty much every middle manager I have (all in there 30's) do the same thing. They know nothing about the businesses they are in, way too young to have experience, but they pretend to play the part.

Go to about the 6 minute mark and Lucas is saying exactly what you're talking about - no originality anymore.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, I expect the movie to be an inferior knock off of Aliens with its own knock off Ripley. The franchise is seemingly just treading water, not going anywhere. If the film turns out great then I will be very happy to have my expectations subverted the correct way.
Yeah at this point I'd be happy just to have another well-executed haunted house style Alien movie like the first one. The attempts to delve deeper into the mythology never worked for me, so if they DO need to keep making these I'd rather they keep things on a simpler and more primal level by just following some people trapped on a ship with a scary ass xenomorph. It doesn't need to get any more complicated than that.

Yeah at this point I'd be happy just to have another well-executed haunted house style Alien movie like the first one. The attempts to delve deeper into the mythology never worked for me, so if they DO need to keep making these I'd rather they keep things on a simpler and more primal level by just following some people trapped on a ship with a scary ass xenomorph. It doesn't need to get any more complicated than that.
I would love movies set in same universe but with different things. Prometheus ruined the opportunity to do a film featuring the space jockey creatures when it turned them into space humans... but then again the engineers suit looked different so maybe they could say the suit was made to resemble the gods the engineers worshipped and use that as excuse to bring back the biomechanical elephant like creature. Or maybe a movie where some synths go rogue (the working joes in Isolation were creepy). Doesn't have to be a xenomorph every movie, I feel the creature gets watered down every time it appears a in a new film. Heck, make an outbreak movie on a confined ship where some black prometheus goo leaked from a lab and crew members are turning monstrous. A fight for survival among crew members. Just something at least slightly different from the usual "facehuggers, chest bursters, xeno's killing crew until strong woman defeats it/them and escapes" routine.

If they insist on Xeno again, make it the original Giger design, bring back egg morphing from the deleted scene, make the main character not another Ripley knock off.

It’s simple really. Follow the dead space 2 formula . Outbreak on a space like city and people are trying to survive. Stop trying to replicate the first. Bring them into new environments and have them actually invade a large population

Last edited:
I hope to be pleasantly surprised, I expect the movie to be an inferior knock off of Aliens with its own knock off Ripley. The franchise is seemingly just treading water, not going anywhere. If the film turns out great then I will be very happy to have my expectations subverted the correct way.
Man , I'd say it's been dead since Aliens.

It’s simple really. Follow the dead slave 2 formula . Outbreak on a space like city and people are trying to survive. Stop trying to replicate the first. Bring them into new environments and have them actually invade a large population
Like the Dark Horse comics of the 90's, just do that.

Aliens vs. Predator Requiem almost did that. I think. I couldn't really see what was going on.

Problem is when studios take risks on new IPs they rarely even succeed these days, nobody goes to see them despite everyone saying they want fresh new IP.

Say what you want about unoriginality and baking on established IP but that’s what audiences clearly want 9 times out of 10 based on box office numbers

Truth is new IP is just far too risky most of the time.

I’m guilty of it myself, majority of the time I’m not gonna go risk my money and time seeing a fresh new movie.

Problem is when studios take risks on new IPs they rarely even succeed these days, nobody goes to see them despite everyone saying they want fresh new IP.

Say what you want about unoriginality and baking on established IP but that’s what audiences clearly want 9 times out of 10 based on box office numbers

I’m guilty of it myself, majority of the time I’m not gonna go risk my money and time seeing a fresh new movie.
True. But then again xmen 97 proved you can put a new spin on an old property.

Yeah, but for me a trailer or at least some buzz will get me interested. If it's book based and looks cool, I may even go see what the book or game is about, if I don't already know.

Or not. TBH the second I saw what looks like another faux Ripley started feeling negative about this one. And I don't hate women leads, at all. It's just it looked - tired.

Or not. TBH the second I saw what looks like another faux Ripley started feeling negative about this one. And I don't hate women leads, at all. It's just it looked - tired.

Indeed, not having a woman lead an Alien movie would have been 'new' - just as having a woman lead a Predator movie was new with Prey.

It probably won't be a huge factor in the enjoyability or not of this movie once we see it. Just right now though it feels like ''lets do the exact same thing again''.

Last edited:
Indeed, not having a woman lead an Alien movie would have been 'new' - just as having a woman lead a Predator movie was new with Prey.

It probably won't be a huge factor in the enjoyability or not of this movie once we see it. Just right now though it feels like ''lets do the exact same thing again''.
IMO even if it's tropey they should have gone with a geeky male who becomes a reluctant hero, like The Rock.

Even that in the trailer would have gotten me more interested. A geeky male who DOESN'T do stupid stuff like the scientists in Prometheus.

Last edited:

To me, the glaring issue is having a female lead that is a clone of Ripley (no pun intended) ,

She looks like she is the body double to Aliens Ripley. ......

I'll watch it of course . Still hoping for a decent Alien flick....

Crossing fingers, for a trailer that's intentionally deceptive.

""

Alien Romulus will be a hybrid of both Alien and Aliens, director Fede Álvarez tells Empire.

Fede Álvarez - "To ask an Alien fan to choose between them is a perverse question," he says. "So I thought, 'How do I do both?'"

That's actually the best approach, and great reply.

GPKIKyla0AAp9py

Last edited:
Back