Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this today and immediately noticed the quality over the SS version. The dome looks great even though it’s not metal. And this droid is heavy and has great detail. My SS is now for sale as it looks more like a hasbro toy now.

There are fingernail slits on the side of the panels. That's a shame. I liked SS's magnetic opening tool better.

Can someone explain the difference in dome shape compared to the HT dome? Frankly, I don’t see it and I think it’s great that Tama had nailed some details that are more accurate to the ANH version, but I don’t recall R2 having fingernail slits in the side panels.

It’s a beautiful piece and I really wanted to buy an R2 from Tama, but I don’t think it’s proportionate to C3PO and I was really hoping for a metal dome...of all things to be metal, that should have been a no brainer.

At this point, if I have to buy a plastic dome version, I’ll buy the Target Sphero, at least it moves like R2.

I’m gonna have both R2’s in my hands in 15 days, and I will try to give you guys my most honest opinion.

I’m gonna have both R2’s in my hands in 15 days, and I will try to give you guys my most honest opinion.

That would be great, Parra. It's really unfortunate that, despite both items being designed for the 1/6 high-end market, neither the Tamashii Nations nor the Hot Toys Artoo seems like a complete home run at this point. I look forward to your comparison of these two.

Does anybody have in hand pictures of the Tama 3PO and R2 together? I’ve tried searching the thread but being on a phone browser, I haven’t had any luck!

Sorry for the dodgy iPhone pic:

R2CP0.jpg

Had his R2 for a week now and it continues to impress me. Would have been great if the dome was metal, but they did a great job. This will probably be the last R2 that I buy.

It is an impressive figure. It has a nice heft and I really like the feel of the ratchet joints in the legs. The rivets are not bad in person at all. I barely notice them.

One of the front panels on mine broke right out of the box (the top hinge was broken already, it basically fell out). It rests in place but the retailer is going to exchange it for me which is fantastic. I don't think I will ever bother with the panels since they seem so fragile.

The dome is painted nicely. Diecast would have been nice but it is what it is. My guess is they used plastic because that is where the electronics are housed. There are a couple small slits at the top by the blue areas to allow the speakers to play the beeps.

It is so much nicer than the Sideshow, and it should be since it was about $100 or so more.

I have all three and sideshow will be gotten rid of but I honestly can't decide between the other two which looks better.

If I had to edge one over the other I would say hot toys to be honest. the metal dome is a complete game changer.

I think the rivets/holes completely ruin an otherwise great-looking figure. HT all the way for me...

It is an impressive figure. It has a nice heft and I really like the feel of the ratchet joints in the legs. The rivets are not bad in person at all. I barely notice them.

One of the front panels on mine broke right out of the box (the top hinge was broken already, it basically fell out). It rests in place but the retailer is going to exchange it for me which is fantastic. I don't think I will ever bother with the panels since they seem so fragile.

The dome is painted nicely. Diecast would have been nice but it is what it is. My guess is they used plastic because that is where the electronics are housed. There are a couple small slits at the top by the blue areas to allow the speakers to play the beeps.

It is so much nicer than the Sideshow, and it should be since it was about $100 or so more.

Wow, those holes stand out like a sore thumb in the photo. I was going to get the Tamashii, but now I may go HT instead... I have the Tamashii 3PO...

Just got the Tamashii & it's great. The functionality is superior to the HT & the proportions are better(though the HT actually has more girth) The rivets & indents don't bother me actually. Which do I prefer? The Tamashii, it's build is great, the engineering is amazing & just seems better all around to me. From a distance, on a shelf it just looks amazing & like R2 to me. Which is better for you? Well you can't go wrong with either. The Hot Toys has the amazing dome, lower price & great weathering. The downside is questionable light functions, separate remote for sounds & no other features or stand. The Tamashii has amazing functions, sounds & lights(Lights need to be seen in person to fully be appreciated especially the back large circle), great proportions and a rock solid, superior body. Downside on Tama is higher price, rivets and indents & no weathering if that's important to you. Here's some pics.fullsizeoutput_e19.jpgfullsizeoutput_e1a.jpg6V4A0525.jpg

Back