Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Tama forgot to paint those two sliver dots above the light on the back dome. On the ANH prop it was painted blue, like the Hot Toys and SS.

Good catch. That's it... I'm waiting for Hot Toys to put out an ANH version.

I feel the same way but I also want to wait and see if HT releases anything more or less with an OT version. More accessories, no sound, better sounds, opening panels?

Only a matter of time, but how long & what version? If he does anything more in TLJ than TFA then my guess would be on that being next. Got the HT & love it but still gonna pick one of these up because they are just too cool. That way have a clean one & weathered one.

Looks like Tama forgot to paint those two sliver dots above the light on the back dome. On the ANH prop it was painted blue, like the Hot Toys and SS.

Are the dots blue or black? I'm only going off what I've seen on screen, but I'd always thought they were black on the ANH prop- which means it should be an easier fix than trying to match the blue, but I could be wrong:

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-3560.jpg
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-8252.jpg
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-9918.jpg

Can't access it because of location, but figured they were cheap in Japan right now so I'm ok paying $263 for it shipped still, whew lol Once these dry up don't think you'll see this below $270 for a while.

I just got mine in-hand. What a spectacular R2!! The SS was a nice place-holder, but can't hold a candle to the Tamashii version, and HT's, which is certainly a very well-done unit, doesn't stack up in dimensions or details (we're talking OT details).

The heft of this little guy is impressive. The electronics and sounds are outstanding. The only gripe was the blue/green light on the rear of the dome. Unlike SS or HT, the shape of the dome is dead-on accurate. While like many, I would've preferred a diecast dome, the finish on the Tamashii is beautiful. But yes, they did forget to paint the two small circles on the rear of the dome black. Not too hard to rectify, though.

And now everyone's sticking point... the rivets. I realize the only time an R2 was seen on screen with rivets was the R/C version in the opening sequence in the hallway of the Tantive IV. At first, I was put off by the photos from various sources. I still ordered it though because it is the only one of the three available that is faithful to an actual Ep. IV R2, rivets or not. When I unpacked mine, I was very happy to note that in natural light, regular room lighting, even under a fluorescent desk lamp, they are hardly noticeable. Yeah, they're there, but they do not jump out and bite you as they look in many pics.

Fit and finish is flawless, the ratcheted legs allow for easy posing and correct angles when standing on two or three legs. The "Kenny Baker Legs" are a nice touch, but I won't be using mine as the R/C version this is modeled after was not a costume and did not utilize them.

Electronics/batteries are easy to access (done snaps right off the body easily) and the functions are well-thought out. Push and hold the upper rear projector and the lights come on. The flash patterns of the processor indicators (the two little stacked rectangles on the front and the long rectangle on the rear of the dome) are perfect! The front projector which is on it's own circuit, is turned on by rotating the lower rear projector. There is a positive "click" when engaged. This is superior to the HT R2, where all lights come on and stay on together. At any time the dome lights are lit, if you depress the upper rear projector, R2 speaks. You cycle through his "vocabulary" by continuously gently pushing it. The sound quality is clear and very audible, not muffled or "tinny". To turn off all functions, simply press/hold the upper rear projector (there is also an "on-off" switch inside the battery compartment that you can toggle to "off" to save battery life). One interesting and appreciated function is an automatic shut down. If you turn R2's lights on and leave him unattended, they shut off after several minutes.

Another outstanding feature is no more expensive watch batteries. The Tamashii R2 uses two regular AAA batteries. As mentioned, they're easy to access and change and provide more than enough juice to run everything. It'll be interesting to see how long a set of batteries last. I'm betting a lot longer than SS's version.

While some are put off by the "factory new" gleaming paint on R2, it doesn't bother me a bit, just as their shiny 3PO was fine with me. Being metal, both could be weathered to your preference (and not SS or HT's) using water colors, pastels, weathering powders, etc. and still be cleaned up if you make a mistake or want to tone it down once you've put it on.

And last, but not least, the "litmus test": Tamashii's R2 looks perfect standing next to his Tamashii cohort, C3PO.

In short, IMHO, this is the most accurate, well made and has superior electronics than any of the 1/6th R2's out there. But again, only my personal opinion. Different strokes for different folks. I'll try to get some pics and throw them up soon.

Back