Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threepio has quite clear differences (C3-Obesio being the most obvious one,) but what exactly is the difference between OT R2D2 and ST R2D2?:dunno

(Other than one is an courageous hero while the other sits under a tarp for 20 of his 30 seconds onscreen.)

Black rubber gasket around the projection lens. Wires for the feet are a lighter color? Those are the only things I’ve seen mentioned.

Looks good on the shelf but a bit boring due to no accessories or ability to display the life scanner or projection lens. Plus the batteries supposedly die really quick if you leave the light switch on—even if the lights are off. Wasn’t the case with my SS R2.

Threepio has quite clear differences (C3-Obesio being the most obvious one,) but what exactly is the difference between OT R2D2 and ST R2D2?:dunno

(Other than one is an courageous hero while the other sits under a tarp for 20 of his 30 seconds onscreen.)

The only thing that really stands out to me is the lights at the rear of the dome (logic strip?).

In ANH these are yellow/green/red.
In ST these are blue/white.

The only thing that really stands out to me is the lights at the rear of the dome (logic strip?).

In ANH these are yellow/green/red.
In ST these are blue/white.

- As mentioned, lights on the rear of the dome
- AHN r2's dome appears to be slightly bigger/higher
- ST R2 has Rust and aged weathering
- The ANH projector lens at the front is sunken, and has a black ring around it. The ST lens sticks out.
- There are indents in ST R2's blue strips along the front.
- The ventilation panel on ST r2's lower right side looks different

For me, the dome size/shape, the projector lens, the blue stripes and the weathering stand out... I'm literally OCD, so I doubt most people would care. I'd see it every time I walk past my display case. :lol

Best to await the HT OT, rather than suffer the ignominy of owning a placeholder from the Sequel Trilogy. :wink1:

:lol You got that right! Though I admit, the hole in my collection where R2 should be is almost as frustrating. Life is hard.

Best to await the HT OT, rather than suffer the ignominy of owning a placeholder from the Sequel Trilogy. :wink1:

I agree. I'm still happy with my SS R2 for the price and the tons of accessories he came with. When HT does an OT R2, I'll throw the drinking tray on him and use him for a Jabba display with my SS Jabba & Throne. Plus I'm not crazy about the weathering. Looks more like rust than dirt. Other than that the HT is a nice figure for someone without an R2. I saw both the HT and Tamashii on display at Celebration, and in person I liked the HT far better...

I suppose so. Of course I would have preferred the OT version now. But tomorrow I may be struck by a bus and truthfully I can't tell the difference anyway.

I like the electronics and size of the Tamashii best. But I like the look of the SS R2 overall the best. The HT R2 looks malproportioned to my eyes.

I like the look of the Tamashii the best. The sculpting, the paint, and the size all look better to me when compared to the other two. I always knew I would want the Bandai one over the others mainly for the fact that it would match their C-3PO the best (which is the one I have). I should have him later in the week. I am very excited to finally have an R2 to go with 3PO after years of waiting.

I definitely wanted to buy the tamashii as I love their 3pO. But the plastic dome looks plastic, it's waaaay too clean bright white, and I really hate the rivets. Too bad because I do feel it is better proportioned.

One thing I have noticed after looking at all three versions in hand, is that the SS and HT stem of their middle leg are too long and look inaccurate. Whereas the the Tamashii's is much more in keeping with the screen used R2. Now I've noticed this on the SS and HT versions it's hard to unsee it.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

My SS R2 has had his middle leg only partially out as well since I opened and put him on display maybe a year and a half ago. I didn't like it fully extended and flush to the bottom. Never had a problem with it going back into the body.

Attachments

• 20170609_164430.jpg
    20170609_164430.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 226
Back