SW PT vs. ST

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PT or ST?

• Total voters
Grew up with the prequels (watched Revenge in cinemas; one of my early SW memories) and remember adoring it until I found out there was an OT and I never looked back.

The fights in the prequels appealed to me back then but not so much as I grew older and I don't think the overarching 'story' of the prequels (a thing people say the ST lacked) is particularly well done either. However, it is unmistakably George Lucas and there's still a lot of things to appreciate.

Even then, it's still got to be the ST for me even though I maintain TROS as the worst thing ever. I still hold TFA and TLJ in high regard despite their shortcomings and I'l always be open to re-watch those over something like AOTC.

The Mandalorian even furthered my love of the prequels, so now I consider it “PT content,” much like Rogue One and Solo are “OT content”

After considering for some time... I had to go PT.

So the rule that old timer OTers will choose the ST has found its exception.

And remember, this is like a choice between Jaws 3D and Jaws 4: The Revenge.... so no easy task.

I acknowledge the gripes against the PT, but I mean c'mon... If you even like the OT a little bit I'll never understand any inclination towards the ST here.

I still find collecting PT toys enjoyable as well. Probably partially because of The Clone Wars.

Rogue One is lame. I like the idea of a Star Wars movie being inspired by an actual war movie, but there are better ways to approach it than what they ultimately did. Those rebel heroes sucked. If you?re gonna do it, do it right. I wanted to see dudes in trenches. Rogue One isn?t that.

7C199C1D-07E1-4808-9BD5-CBFF296B7BF6.jpeg

I like how Vader trolls Krennic though with some thigh slappers. Never knew Vader was such a quip master. Better last appearance than ROTS “noooo” Vader though, that’s for sure. Would have been interesting and avant garde if Rogue One was primarily from the perspective of the Empire and the protagonist was a faceless Stormtrooper that carries the movie. Woulda been bold and ballsy.

What was the other one? Oh, Solo, yeah I never saw that. Dunno if it?s good or not. Looked stupid but who knows. If I wanna watch a young Han Solo, I’ll watch a New Hope.

Rogue One is lame. I like the idea of a Star Wars movie being inspired by an actual war movie, but there are better ways to approach it than what they ultimately did. Those rebel heroes sucked. If you?re gonna do it, do it right. I wanted to see dudes in trenches. Rogue One isn?t that.

View attachment 502750

I like how Vader trolls Krennic though with some thigh slappers. Never knew Vader was such a quip master. Better last appearance than ROTS ?noooo? Vader though, that?s for sure. Would have been interesting and avant garde if Rogue One was primarily from the perspective of the Empire and the protagonist was a faceless Stormtrooper that carries the movie. Woulda been bold and ballsy.

What was the other one? Oh, Solo, yeah I never saw that. Dunno if it?s good or not. Looked stupid but who knows. If I wanna watch a young Han Solo, I?ll watch a New Hope.

They briefly touched on the concept of Star Wars grunts in the trenches in Solo during a short Mudtrooper scene featuring Woody Harrelson. It was pretty damn cool, but the plot quickly ran away from it. One of my favorite parts of the film, it was visually awesome.

I acknowledge the gripes against the PT, but I mean c'mon... If you even like the OT a little bit I'll never understand any inclination towards the ST here.

I still find collecting PT toys enjoyable as well. Probably partially because of The Clone Wars.

Same. I understand the Pt isn't exactly Gold filmmaking but I mean...... come on. I just find the characters and worldbuilding so much more iconic. Some seemed confused by why the PT is more successful and it has alot to do with the designs and the way the characters are presented. As bad as he was you still remember Jar Jar and he's still remembered and people buy his toys and he sells. BB8 and whoever side character they had are long forgotten.

I think the last time people were hyped up for the ST was that twirling stick stormtrooper, cause it was unique and cool but you never see anything remotely close to that again.

Same. I understand the Pt isn't exactly Gold filmmaking but I mean...... come on. I just find the characters and worldbuilding so much more iconic. Some seemed confused by why the PT is more successful and it has alot to do with the designs and the way the characters are presented. As bad as he was you still remember Jar Jar and he's still remembered and people buy his toys and he sells. BB8 and whoever side character they had are long forgotten.

I think the last time people were hyped up for the ST was that twirling stick stormtrooper, cause it was unique and cool but you never see anything remotely close to that again.

After TFA I bought some ST crap that I regret. I really don't want any of it anymore but I am just too damn lazy to sell it off for less than half price. I really did want to like the ST but unfortunately it was just terrible.

Even though I didn't like all things about the PT I don't feel it intentionally did any damage to the OT characters or universe. So if other people like stuff I dislike about it it's pretty easy to dismiss. I also like having toys of characters like young Kenobi, Anakin, Maul, Jinn, Cody, etc even if I didn't necessarily love everything that was portrayed in the films. It's still a visual representation of those characters I enjoy owning.

After TFA I bought some ST crap that I regret. I really don't want any of it anymore but I am just too damn lazy to sell it off for less than half price. I really did want to like the ST but unfortunately it was just terrible.

Even though I didn't like all things about the PT I don't feel it intentionally did any damage to the OT characters or universe. So if other people like stuff I dislike about it it's pretty easy to dismiss. I also like having toys of characters like young Kenobi, Anakin, Maul, Jinn, Cody, etc even if I didn't necessarily love everything that was portrayed in the films. It's still a visual representation of those characters I enjoy owning.

yea I preordered the ST stormtrooper guy but didn;t get him cause I didn't have money att he time so I said I'd wait for the sequel to get more toys from the ST. I really wanted Kylo ren and kept checking BBTS hoping he wasn't sold out.

And I had a funny thought. It'd be funny if Obiwan show ruins ANakin and Obiwan for us like the ST did for the Luke fans. I'm pretty sure Khev and Jye would laugh at that.

I love the World building of the PT. My biggest issue was how Anakin was handled in every single way.

But they are fun films to watch visually.

I never felt that Disney tried to get the Hype machine going for the ST. Not like George did with the PT.

But maybe I was in a different spot in my life.

I dont recall their being midnight openings at Toys R Us for TFA.. But I was there for TPM and AOTC.

I was not even close to pumped up for the ST as I was for the PT.

I dont know if its because my feelings on the PT had dampened my love of SW or if it was I just did not care to see SW films with the older fatter OT alongside new characters.. IDK.

You guys are younger.. Did you have any super excitement for TFA before it came out. Did Disney get you hyped like Lucas did me for the TPM

I love the World building of the PT. My biggest issue was how Anakin was handled in every single way.

I never felt that Disney tried to get the Hype machine going for the ST. Not like George did with the PT.

I dont recall their being midnight openings at Toys R Us for TFA.. But I was there for TPM and AOTC.

I dont know if its because my feelings on the PT had dampened my love of SW or if it was I just did not care to see SW films with the older fatter OT alongside new characters.. IDK.

You guys are younger.. Did you have any super excitement for TFA before it came out. Did Disney get you hyped like Lucas did me for the TPM

I was more hyped for TFA than I was for TPM but not because I was grew up with the PT. In 1999 I was college aged and I had mostly lost my interest in Star Wars. At that time I was into drinking with friends, chasing girls, lifting and sports. I didn't rediscover my childhood love of Star Wars and the toys until I got into my 30s. I guess you could say I was a bad fan;)

I vote ST.

Mainly because of my age when viewing the PT made me feel like it was childish nonsense , fart jokes and kids doing impossible crap, then more terrible dialogue and cartoon like Jedi who looked stupid and like they never held a lightsaber before THEN a totally unrealistic turn to the dark side for Anakin, who basically begins murdering people because of a dream.

With the ST the filmmaking alone elevated it for me.

The cinematic style of TFA was really gorgeous. The new themes were light years better than PT for me. Rey and Kylos theme are part of my SW musical cues now.

Duel of the fates was the only decent musical contribution of the entire PT.

I really liked Finn, Poe and Rey as starter characters . And felt Han was represented well in that film.

Unfortunately , TLJ, while it had the basic principle of Luke?s fall going for it, it failed in execution in just about every other way for the rest of the main cast. So much lost potential for the promise created in TFA . Every time I watch TFA I hate TLJ a bit more than I used too.

But that feeling is magnified about 10 times for the AOTC letdown. That film to me is totally unwatchable.

So for me , I had to judge this way.

TFA >>>>>>>TPM even with the best scene in TPM being Duel of the Fates, I find Kylo?s interactions with Rey far superior in every way.

TLJ >>>AOTC This is not saying much as to me AOTC is the worse SW film ever made. So TLJ being the biggest letdown of the SW films beating it is not a huge accomplishment. Only half of TLJ is any good. And that?s Rey, Kylo and Luke. The rest is a terrible mess that destroyed the possibility of making good characters great for the rest of the cast. There is almost nothing redeeming about AOTC.

TROS >> ROTS again, filmmaking makes all the difference. Acting makes the difference. Script makes the difference. I can watch Kylo and Rey battle all day without rolling my eyes as I do with Obi and Anakin...... we got some
Well deserved character development for the supporting cast with TROS, and we got the opposite with Obi and Anakin. Sure they ended up where they were suppose too, but the journey was rushed into a single second half of the film, and was so jarring it was unbelievable.

That?s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand your disappointment. How long was it since a star wars film like the 80s? then in 1999 after many speculation and no internet I guess I would be mad too if the biggest franchise ever got a lackluster follow-up.
I can even see it doesn't match the Ot in terms of quality and I understand that is frustrating.

I was very excited for the ST films and couldn't wait for the next one after TFA. I thought everything looked great. But i'm sorry I know the PT isn't amazing but that was GL's vision and he carried it out. The ST is a soulless corperate product with no thought or love put into it. Just wanted to ride off the name and insnare folks that had that OT nostalgia.

I don't know how you three like it but that's fine. You can't get past the bad dialogue and I just can't past the poor writing.

But Yea I was very excited and went to see the movie the second day it came out. i wasn't wowed with it but I was hoping bigger things were in store but I was severely let down.

I can't vote as I haven't seen any of the new ST movies and I blame Lucas for that. IMO the series pinnacle was ESB but I did still enjoy ROTJ. Now I'm a fan of horror movies so no stranger to bad follow up movies but when I saw TFM, I couldn't believe how bad it was. Just wow what happened? Then AOTC was even worse it turned me off any further installments. I'd rather re-watch Exorcist 2 or Look What Happened to Rosemary's Baby than the PT.

Hmmm

If I go by the logic of how many movies from each trilogy I liked, then it would be a tie because I liked revenge of the sith a lot and I liked the Force Awakens a lot.

But if I go by which feels more like Star Wars to me, Prequel Trilogy all the way.

I wish the sequel trilogy could get a restart, keep the same characters, but write them differently. I had high hopes for Finn and Poe and even Rey, but man did they just start to go downhill after FA.

I think they hired the wrong people to handle the ST, look at the amazing **** they accomplished with Mando.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back