Star Wars: The Bad Batch Disney + Animated Show

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the first episode, and it was a lot better than I expected.

There were some quite atmospheric scenes. The smaller scale combat is more engaging than the endless large scale battles of TCW. Hopefully there'll be a minimum quota of Roger Rogers going forward.

Some of the cringier cliches from TCW's Bad Batch episodes will be unavoidable, such as the tropes of the big stupid oaf, or the genius who wears glasses.

I just posted it so you'd have to defend it. :rotfl

I know you love and defend your Clone Wars. I can't believe they even made an article over that garbage. Twitter is the social gathering pit of human sludge. Most just troll to troll and these companies actually believe these people. KK is probably freaking out right now!

I hate how easily offended people get these days more than I love Clone Wars :lol. The thing is a lot of them aren't even trolling, their lives are just that sad :lol.

Huh, I always thought they were obedient through genetic engineering and rigorous training, not because of chips. Kinda like that Kurt Russell movie from the 90s.

That's what I really don't like about Star Wars. The story is always changing. Back in the day we were getting pissed because the prequels were contradicting the originals, now enough time has passed for them to start messing with the lore established in the prequels. :lol

That little Jango Fett clone girl is ridiculous, I just looked it up after that link. Now I see why Jye is meming her.

Man this franchise just loves to mess with it's history. Boba Fett couldn't just be a cool bounty hunter that was good at his craft, no, he had to be a clone of the real Fett who also volunteered to be the host of a clone army which is ridiculous. Then decades later, that cool clone army couldn't just be an army of identical, hardened soldiers that follow every order without question, oh no, gotta inject more story with batches, personalities and drama. Same with Anakin. In Revenge of the Sith, not being given the rank of master was one of the reasons he turned on the Jedi. Now we find out that oh, this dude had a secret apprentice girl. Get out of here.

I thought the whole point of a clone trooper, as established in the early 2000s, was to create an unyielding soldier that lived and died by military code, not a bunch of slack jawed pansies that get sentimental about their Jedi generals and good guys. That's one of the few things I liked about the prequels as depicted in the films. The clones were actually competent bad guys, not as clumsy as Stormtroopers and Battledroids. Clones were an actual threat and it's even better because they start out on the same side. There's no weeping when it comes time to pull the guns out on the Jedi, they just do it because following orders is what they were CREATED to do. We all knew when these black and white "good guys" landed in that arena, they were going to take out the heroes. Those early poster advertisements with thousands of them behind Dooku, Jango and Palpatine in the rain said it all. Injecting pathos into them just seems wrong and goes against the point of their existence to begin with.

This batch stuff and stuff with like clone Rex and Ahsoka Tano is pretty lame. Dude is crying because his chip isn't working or whatever and he's conflicted cuz orange butt cheeks. This is the kinda stuff a 4 year old writes. :lol
Exactly. It's why I didn't watch TCW for so long. I caved in and started now since I'm all out of mindless entertainment and 20 minutes per pop at 2.0x speed ain't that bad. Also because I'm a weak completionist. But anyhow, this has always been my POV. The whole point of the PT Clones was authority. They were conditioned since "birth" and more than that they were just soldiers. That was their life. They followed orders. They didn't have "feelings". They were the faceless, endless army. The Jedi had become a complacent, practically corrupt institution. The Clones didn't see them as friends or comrades because they were an extremelly foreign body. The Clones were loyal to the State and that's why when the time came they shot the Jedi in the back. Because what were the Jedi to them? A mysterious religious sect that had no actual political authority given to them by the people, yet commanded the fate of the galaxy. The old EU showcased that much better and it's still my preferred canon.

The Chips I get as a failsafe and logical choice, but they take away from the bit of nuance that existed in the original PT. But oh, now the Clonerinos have feelings and they're all Pinnochios and they have found cammaraderie and love and all that stuff! Now go buy a bunch of 300$ repaints you goddamn consoooooooomers... I get the themes that TCW decided to touch upon, but they are so banal and surface level, while also taking from the menace of the original clones, that I don't see the point. Yeah, the defunct Clone did something with his life before being gunned down. I get it, it's a watered down Gattaca. But Gattaca is its own thing and story. A specific tale about a specific thing. Such a scenario added nothing to the overall worldbuilding and underlaying themes of Star Wars. It was just done to make personalized Clones and sell more toys, while having an excuse to pump out more content. Simple greed, period.

True. It's like the comic book stories from the 90s where you could tell they ran out of ideas but started having all these secret origins and clone sagas.

I just don't like how complicated all these stories are now, things used to be so much simpler. Superman can't just be Superman. No, now Kryptonians are genetically modified and Kal-El has a super secret codex in his DNA. The stories are just getting more and more complex so they can go on and on forever. Now it all just feels like cheap fan fiction that have made it to reality.
It has been cheap fanfiction for decades, we just didn't want to see it. The best stories always have an ending. It's why I've been growing more and more detached out of everything. There's just no point to it all. Capes are the worst of it, because something like Star Wars at least has some resemblance of a canon and end points. You'll never get Vader coming back to life, whereas in capes a trip back happens every two weeks.

I'm really surprised Disney hasn't brought Luuke back from the expanded universe for one of those shows. If they could retrieve his lightsaber for the movies, surely they could retrieve his hand to make a clone.
Uh...

dHFnf6_0nAi9fOPtwkpYHxsbHS52cxsAT1CmyTPpR_F_B74TJVcpCd050FerGAmEA-RxV-HZeqCPp0my7JChJT918RsrKueGYVZWB_IQzk4CM8z-b0jBzskRv3OgkOgkBT8EcNqbkg=s0

I wonder if Star Wars is just so big that it can never be rebooted?

I'm sure it occurred to Disney to consider a complete reboot of Star Wars... but it is so prevalent and so disseminated throughout the world that there would be no way it could be accepted or worked into the current 'religion' that is Star Wars.

Personally, I think it would be really interesting to see a completely new take on Star Wars... but then what the hell do you do with the one-off? Star Wars is never gone from pop culture long enough for people to give a new take credence. Best they could do is take a new story to a new place in the same galaxy and tell a whole new story that has nothing to do with clones or jedi or the empire or Skywalkers or anything... but then its not Star Wars.

I'd really like to see a completely different Chewbacca. Try to imagine an R2 you never imagined before. A wholly different masked Darth Vader. A Death Star that isn't a moon-sized ball in space... perhaps it appears burning like a 'star' from all the metalwork being done in so many places to finish it. It could be really interesting...
I used to hate reboots, but now I honestly think that they're the best case scenario for such huge behemoths. I don't know if you can do it with Star Wars because it's such a huge multimedia juggernaut, but with something simpler, you theoretically could. Ideally, they'd just let things have a definitive end, but it's all got to be milked to death. I get it, and I don't think it's necessarily bad to make more content out of an interesting universe, but it has to be tighter and more selective. It has to avoid telling the same stories over and over, and it has to leave some things as is, without retcons.

People harped on Ultimate Marvel, but when it started it had the right idea. There weren't five different Spider-Man comics running. You didn't have a solo book about every single Ultimate battling the same people every week. When someone died, except one or two exceptions of popular characters, they died. The story moved on. There were no demon deals, no takebacks. It all blew up during Ultimatum, but the idea was sound. There would be a time where Spider-Man would come to an end. All of his villains would've been taken care of, he would've gotten married and that'd be that. If you wanted more, you could do a series about his kids in the future, or keep going. That's how you keep an IP around. Currently, DC has made a new omnimultigigaultraverse where every single thing from every single place is somehow canon. Or something. I don't know, I'm too disgusted to keep up anymore. Judge Dredd is still going strong though, running in real time. The other side of the coin...

Reboots, or reimaginings, aren't necessarily bad. But they need to be different to justify their existence. When the Nu52 rolled around there was nothing new. The same old stuff with the same old themes, characters and stories, but this time they had new costumes and dates. Cap off something and move on. I'd be interested in a Star Wars where everything is completely new. But then again you run the risk of just taking over an IP and twisting it to the point where it's unrecognizable. I don't know. Anything can work, and anything can go wrong. Making generalizations about pop culture products created for more cash is a useless endeavor.

Yes, if an artist read just the original book (script) or something and started doodling ideas... you might end up with a strange new world.

I guess in the end it is a pointless endeavor really though, because it is still Star Wars. Be better off with that genius to create something wholly new altogether.

I get so bored with the constant repetition on the motifs:

Boba --> Jango --> Mando

Vader --> Maul --> Kylo
Ages ago I used to scribble in my notebooks about my ideal Iron Man. I'd mixed everything I'd ever liked in there, and while the core Iron Man components were there, it might as well had been a wholly new idea. Sometimes we want to take something we loved and "fix it", but I do think it's better to go the 'Star Wars' way, than the AU where Lucas just made a Flash Gordon movie. Even if all of us started with Star Wars, then added five different things fom our life that had impacted us, from history, culture, books, vidya, whatever, we'd have totally different end results. I have a totally great X-Men Reboot in my head, but if I got to doing it'd feel less like the X-Men people like and more like my reimagining by piecing together different things from the lore, constructing my own timeline and basically ending up with something similar enough, yet too distinct to be called a pure X-Men Reboot. At that point I might as well keep it in a notebook as a new idea.

As for repetition, I never got it. I get wanting more out of a certain IP. I get wanting more stories with your favourite characters. But what's the point when they're all identical? Oh boy, the MC beat the bad guy again, but his sidekick/friend/gf died again and now that other bad guy has been revealed as not dead... What's the point? Why should I keep reading Iron Man if all Stark does is lose his company, battle some grunts, get to the end boss, get outsmarted, build another company, get some new tech, fight the big bad again and onto the next cycle? If there was a legitimate run where Stark colonized the Moon, then Mars, then became an interstellar company and started providing metahumans for various alien armies in intergalactic wars, I'd still be reading. If there's progression, I'll still be interested in my favourite characters. People harp on Hickman's X-Men, and while it's utterly different and they're all ****s now, I like it purely because it's got progression. Until it's all reverted back to status quo of course. But it's new. You've got Mutant Corporations, a Mutant "Culture", a Mutant Banner and everything else. The world is changing and that's what capes have always neglected.

But I think it's better to give everything an ending and be done with it. People look back on Barry Lyndon because we have a complete tale. There hasn't been a comic about his "untold adventures" or a sequel about his days after losing his leg but before dying. Harry Potter was a phenomenon, but even that has an ending. LotR the same. They have the worldbuilding for more in them, but by and large there are definitive endpoints and cap offs to the stories. Star Wars used to be like that, before Disney...

Do Star Wars characters have depth beyond surface level anymore? :lol
No pop culture character has depth anymore because there's no constant. They change opinions, beliefs and whatever else due to more and more different people handling them while also changing with the [current day]. There's nothing set in stone. And let's be honest, most characters are just caricatures with a couple of oversimplified traits and we like them due to the aesthetics. But as time goes on they become blander and blander.

Does anyone think we'll get a few Vader appearances on the show hunting down Jedi?

Back