Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. In 1977-78 I went and saw Star Wars in the movie theater 30 times. It was burned into my brain in glorious widescreen. It wasn't for 5 years until it finally aired on television in 1982.
Please forgive JAWS his nearest movie theater in 77 was 132 miles away.

Things eventually improved though his nearest movie theater in 2023 is now 125 miles away.

Last edited:
Nope. In 1977-78 I went and saw Star Wars in the movie theater 30 times. It was burned into my brain in glorious widescreen. It wasn't for 5 years until it finally aired on television in 1982.
Only Wor-Gar is allowed a widescreen copy lol.

Did you really see it that many? I was 5 when that came out.

Only Wor-Gar is allowed a widescreen copy lol.

Did you really see it that many? I was 5 when that came out.

Yep. I saw it at the Chinese theater about 7 times here and there -- biggest screen of the time. But what really stacked the deck was that a friend and myself would go to a local theater for the noon showing, and when it was over, hide in the curtains or restroom until the theater was clear and stay for a 2nd showing at 2:30. Did that every other Saturday all summer long. Couldn't get enough. But that year, seeing Star Wars a whole bunch of times was very common. Even people who weren't what you'd call "Star Wars" people went multiple times to get high and be pulled into hyperspace. It was 1977. Disco was just exploding. The world felt like it was changing.

Disney’s hermit is not my Luke Skywalker
·

Antillean Sith Trekker · 23 h ·

A.I. PROMPT - Christmas, family, unpack Star Wars gift, show no heart.

411662224_1035542170940255_1708273294605189199_n.jpg

How we think we remember watching Star Wars as kids
View attachment 679861

How we actually watched Star Wars most of the time as kids

View attachment 679862

I demand Star Wars the way it was meant to be viewed at home… in Glorious Pan and Scan
While I was happy to see SW on TV even in P&S
I hated that there was stuff missing that I knew I had seen in the movies.
Some remember the next big SW event as the Special Editions in 97, yet before that, the most significant event* was...

*yes I know the LaserDiscs were first to have wide-screen, not everyone had one.

Last edited:
Some remember the next big SW event as the Special Editions in 97, yet before that, the most significant event was...

Ah yes. Love those trailers, I more particularly remember the Alien and Die Hard one, I think it was on the Aliens Special Edition VHS. Always found the voiceover guy's....errr...'wet' sounding enunciation of ''the Widescreen collection'' odd.

Oh and in our great wisdom my family bought them all.....in Pan & Scan. :lol

Oh and in our great wisdom my family bought them all.....in Pan & Scan. :lol
I feel ya, I remember for my b-day asking my dad for the official John Williams SW soundtrack album, and he came home with the heinous butt-bumping Galactic Funk LP. :lol
- "But the leitmotifs dad!.
- "The what? the guy at the store said this was the same thing, and half the price.

8adbbg.jpg

:horror
meco_front.jpg

Last edited:
Some remember the next big SW event as the Special Editions in 97, yet before that, the most significant event* was...

*yes I know the LaserDiscs were first to have wide-screen, not everyone had one.

I was in a mall in Baltimore at a TV store of some kind and they were playing Raiders of the Lost Ark in Widescreen. It was the scene with Indy on the house bouncing down the hill side to the Truck.

My eyes were opened to Widescreen that day. It was amazing. I had only seen Indy coming down that hill none of the vehicles.

I never bought a laserdisc but use to double dip on all my VHS tapes when they started being released in WS.

I remember Hollywood having a hard time understanding how to sell it. I bought a version of A Few Good Men that had the tiniest black bars. Basically full screen and I knew it was formatted to be 2.35 aspect ratio. I think it was a matted widescreen and the studio just wimped out.. can’t have those huge black bars :lol

Took me a while to figure out why films like JAWS, Raiders, and Star Wars had so much more info but films like T2 which were matted widescreen had not nearly the same amount on the sides and lost some at the top and bottom.

Star Wars still had its magic then.
If you had told my teenage self in 1990 that there'd be two new Star Wars trilogies coming, two additional standalone films and dozens of hours of live-action TV with better visual effects than the OT still ahead I would have been over the moon with excitement. But even though I've enjoyed the hype and initial release of each and every entry since then I more and more find myself envying that teenager who "only" had the OT on VHS, laserdisc and a 32 inch CRT.

If you had told my teenage self in 1990 that there'd be two new Star Wars trilogies coming, two additional standalone films and dozens of hours of live-action TV with better visual effects than the OT still ahead I would have been over the moon with excitement. But even though I've enjoyed the hype and initial release of each and every entry since then I more and more find myself envying that teenager who "only" had the OT on VHS, laserdisc and a 32 inch CRT.
Yeah. I miss the days when Star Wars was a perfect thing… Well minus some bad ROTJ moments.

I collected most of the POTF2 figures and even I couldn't bring myself to waste $5 on him.

And I had freakin Mon Mothma.

I collected most of the POTF2 figures and even I couldn't bring myself to waste $5 on him.

And I had freakin Mon Mothma.
I had him which means some lame family member bought him for me because there's no way I went to the store with allowance money and picked him off the shelf, lol.

My excitement for anything new is gone. It was there for the PT - even after being disappointed by each one I still wanted to see the next. And I was certainly excited for Episode VII. The OT cast coming back after so long? Seeing the Millenium Falcon in action again? Hell yes, I felt at the time. Then we saw it. Han killed. Chewbacca not even getting a hug. Luke barely in it. The same damn story all over again. I was merely then curious to see what Episode 8 would do with Luke. By 9 I didn't give a crap anymore. Wasn't even going to bother seeing it, wish I'd stuck to my guns and stayed home.

Now Rogue One I of course enjoyed - the final third, immensely. I can't remember if I had any particular excitement going into it though. Likewise Solo.

Mandalorian, the first live action Star Wars TV show - again, more curious than excited. And it was decent for those first 2 seasons but I wouldn't say it rejuvenated the magic for me. I've only watched it through the once, have skipped all merchandise.

BOBF and Mando S3 were embarrassing and mediocre and weren't likely to put Star Wars back on top for me.

Andor came out when my mum died. I wasn't in any mood for it and I slept through much of it, so...

Nope, it's all about the OT for me and remembering those years when it was all we had....and all I really needed as it turned out.

edit - forgot about that other recent show...the forgettable one.

Last edited:
My excitement for anything new is gone. It was there for the PT - even after being disappointed by each one I still wanted to see the next. And I was certainly excited for Episode VII. The OT cast coming back after so long? Seeing the Millenium Falcon in action again? Hell yes, I felt at the time. Then we saw it. Han killed. Chewbacca not even getting a hug. Luke barely in it. The same damn story all over again. I was merely then curious to see what Episode 8 would do with Luke. By 9 I didn't give a crap anymore. Wasn't even going to bother seeing it, wish I'd stuck to my guns and stayed home.

Now Rogue One I of course enjoyed - the final third, immensely. I can't remember if I had any particular excitement going into it though. Likewise Solo.

Mandalorian, the first live action Star Wars TV show - again, more curious than excited. And it was decent for those first 2 seasons but I wouldn't say it rejuvenated the magic for me. I've only watched it through the once, have skipped all merchandise.

BOBF and Mando S3 were embarrassing and mediocre and weren't likely to put Star Wars back on top for me.

Andor came out when my mum died. I wasn't in any mood for it and I slept through much of it, so...

Nope, it's all about the OT for me and remembering those years when it was all we had....and all I really needed as it turned out.

edit - forgot about that other recent show...the forgettable one.
I read all that and just nod (aside from actually having enjoyed TLJ and TROS.) A small part of me is tempted to recap how I rank everything that came after the OT and...I just don't have the energy. I'm not excited for anything down the line which may actually *be* a first for me. Not Mando 4 (or Mando the Movie or whatever it's going to be.) Not Ahsoka 2: The Return of Smirking But Not That Brilliant Thrawn, not even Andor 2 and certainly not Rey: The Ascension or "Rogue Squadron" or anything else.

We'll see if that changes. If they give it back to Lucas I could possibly get excited...but he's also Mr. PT so I don't even know about that. I've got the original theatrical OT. I've got Rogue One. I liquidated ALL of my SW figures save for some prized Kenner I keep on a shelf and a ROTJ Fett PF. I think I'm done.

I read all that and just nod (aside from actually having enjoyed TLJ and TROS.) A small part of me is tempted to recap how I rank everything that came after the OT and...I just don't have the energy. I'm not excited for anything down the line which may actually *be* a first for me. Not Mando 4 (or Mando the Movie or whatever it's going to be.) Not Ahsoka 2: The Return of Smirking But Not That Brilliant Thrawn, not even Andor 2 and certainly not Rey: The Ascension or "Rogue Squadron" or anything else.

We'll see if that changes. If they give it back to Lucas I could possibly get excited...but he's also Mr. PT so I don't even know about that. I've got the original theatrical OT. I've got Rogue One. I liquidated ALL of my SW figures save for some prized Kenner I keep on a shelf and a ROTJ Fett PF. I think I'm done.
I look forward to some but excited for none.

While I did not hate TROS, I hate the ST as a whole and the most of the shows just leave a bad taste in my mouth and make me dislike anything that is “new” SW.

I’m going back to the OT and RO and letting my imagination fill in all the possibilities. My imagined PT was much better and ROTJ was a nice way for it to all end.

I still watch some stuff but it’s all fan fiction to me.

I can find enjoyment out of TPM, ROTS, TCW, Rebels, Solo, TROS, Mando S1 and 2, and Asoka but non of it is “real” SW to me, much like all the books and comics were not real SW to me even though some were quality.

Mando S3, BOBF, Obi Wan S1, TFA, TLJ, and AOTC can all GTFO

I am able to accept Andor as Canon. It’s done nothing to hurt the OT so I’m fine with that. Just gotta hope S2 is quality.

Back