Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would appear to be a nail in the coffin of the ST de-canonization theory.
I don't know where people got that idea. I guess the WBW thing would have been a means to do it -- from a certain point of view -- but I never saw a course correction of that magnitude happening. For one thing it would be at least a tacit admission of having made a multibillion dollar mistake, and they don't seem like the kind of corporation to do that.

I don't know where people got that idea. I guess the WBW thing would have been a means to do it -- from a certain point of view -- but I never saw a course correction of that magnitude happening. For one thing it would be at least a tacit admission of having made a multibillion dollar mistake, and they don't seem like the kind of corporation to do that.
Exactly. I personally hoped for it but never thought it a realistic possibility.

Kennedy: “We’re moving further beyond the existing sequels as we look to our movie space.”

Depending on how far beyond it could still be separate and distinct from the ST. A fresh start unburdened by anyone named Skywalker (especially if the name was co-opted :wink1: ) seems like the best course of action.

Kennedy: “We’re moving further beyond the existing sequels as we look to our movie space.”

Depending on how far beyond it could still be separate and distinct from the ST. A fresh start unburdened by anyone named Skywalker (especially if the name was co-opted :wink1: ) seems like the best course of action.
No matter how large it is, a perpetually war-torn galaxy gets old. Destroy a planet? Now let's destroy several! Make the ships bigger! Make the hero more powerful! Make everything MORE!

That's why I think stories about bounty hunters and crime lords, or even stories focusing on the struggles of one single planet -- are likely to be more interesting if you're leaving the PT and OT eras behind.

I think this is why The Mandalorian was interesting, and may yet be again with the focus on the throne of Mandalore. A story about a crime lord would also be really interesting, because we haven't got one yet (yeah I'm looking at you Respectful Fett).

I agree with many other fans that there are lots of stories to tell in the galaxy far, far away but where I tend to disagree is the insistence of both fans and creators to 'explore the lore' of the Jedi and Sith and/or to ramp up new and greater threats. It makes me yawn and seldom (if ever) results in good storytelling.

There are smugglers, criminals, law enforcers, planetary scenarios, guilds, bounty hunters, and mad scientists in this universe. Many good stories if they just got themselves some good writers and stopped milking tired old ideas with over-complications and endless callbacks.

No matter how large it is, a perpetually war-torn galaxy gets old. Destroy a planet? Now let's destroy several! Make the ships bigger! Make the hero more powerful! Make everything MORE!

Yes, that is a huge problem... but only when you retread.

When an entire galaxy is dependent on 7 characters, then you have nowhere to go.

It is best to go back, start new, start small, and have room to grow.

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but Disney absolutely should be working within the ST era. I did not like the Prequel Trilogy, and still don't as a set of films. That said, I believe Lucas was smart about going all-in on the era. All the EU, games, comics and later The Clones Wars, it all added tremendous texture to that period, and no doubt helped people accept and enjoy it beyond the films themselves.

By contrast, the sequel trilogy came and went. Partially thanks to decisions made in the films themselves, not helped by Disney's general OT-derivative approach. Not only was the ST itself overly familiar, the surrounding material was all OT-adjacent. They needed to invest more into building up that world and that time. That said, I liked 7 & 8, was invested longer than many, but 9 did effectively bury my interest also.

I actually thought the Sith Fleet was a creative way of doing it. But yes, where do they go from here.

Nothing she says at Celebration ever comes true though.

"RJ is getting a trilogy! GoT guys are getting a trilogy! Obi-Wan scripts are all complete!" Etc., lol.
True

Lets replay her classics!

“Trank is a Tank born to tell the story of Boba Fett!”

“Solo…Everything is Awesome!”

“Obi-Wan in Cinemas where it belongs!”

“Rian the Uniter I like to call him!”

“Rathters, you’re going to be impressed!”

“Porgs, you’ll see one in every home!”

Last edited:
:lol at the audience member asking Chiang why some droids and speeders can float even when powered off while others can't and Chiang saying "hell if I know why Naboo fighters can float while X-Wings that are much newer technology having landing gear," lol.
My whole vision of the OT aesthetic was that of a galactic civilization cast into decline by a catastrophic war and fascism ... along the lines of real world North Korea or Soviet Russia after WWII.

People got by with what tech they could scavenge or build with truncated infrastructure and supply lines. Not post-apocalyptic but solidly post-war.

Naboo fighters were luxurious and beautiful, X-Wings were all business and utilitarian.

Doug Chiang is doing a live broadcast on YouTube right now about the design concepts for Mando and BOBF and he keeps referring to Boba Fett's ship as Slave 1. :rock

main-qimg-e7ae74a1542da169cd28c2a9a31f4c7c-lq

Actually come to think of it, both Naboo fighters and X-Wings possessed both landing gear and repulsor field tech as seen in the films at different times ...

Back