Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Close Encounters is more like enjoying a gourmet dessert, where Star Wars was like a pure and total sugar rush from gorging on candy. Would having dessert on the evening of Halloween take away from the bouncing-off-the-walls effect of a trick-or-treat haul later that night? Not for me it wouldn't. :lol

*Like*

Different type of midlife crisis. Maybe instead of driving a Lambo, you could settle for watching a Rambo.

We have the same ranking order. :hi5:

:lol :lol

I don't think it would've made any difference. Close Encounters was pretty much a terrestrial film, capturing the imagination in a completely different way. What made it compelling, imo, was the narrative and the way it taps into our existing curiosity and fascination with the subject matter.

Star Wars, on the other hand, was a fully immersive fantasy right from the very first shot. The world of SW was like taking the colorized section of Wizard of Oz and removing the dream context, setting it in space, and making it way more expansive (and much cooler).

Close Encounters is more like enjoying a gourmet dessert, where Star Wars was like a pure and total sugar rush from gorging on candy. Would having dessert on the evening of Halloween take away from the bouncing-off-the-walls effect of a trick-or-treat haul later that night? Not for me it wouldn't. :lol

I meant Lambo as in get me to the light at the end of that recovery tunnel faster lol

While I want to agree with what you're saying about close encounters not affecting Star Wars part of me still wonders if some of that outer space magic would've been lost because close encounters was still a fantasy just set on earth and SW did have humans in them just fantasy ones lol

I'm just glad Lucas beat Spielberg to the theater is all.

I meant Lambo as in get me to the light at the end of that recovery tunnel faster lol

Oh. :slap I'm an idiot; sorry about that. Probably just projecting my own midlife crisis desire for a Lambo. :)

Yeah, wanting a fast ride right to the end of the tunnel makes all the sense in the world. But even if you have to use a slower ride, you'll get there. So hopefully it's just a lot closer than it appears right now.

While I want to agree with what you're saying about close encounters not affecting Star Wars part of me still wonders if some of that outer space magic would've been lost because close encounters was still a fantasy just set on earth and SW did have humans in them just fantasy ones lol

I'm just glad Lucas beat Spielberg to the theater is all.

I'd agree that they serve different masters and one didn't really cannibalize on the other. Cannibalize, get it? CE3K still made a **** load of money too.

It would be like saying TDK should have made more money but the MCU kind of took the wind out of it.

But no one talks about CE anymore and he we are celebrating Mando success with a helmet dude a puppet and cgi Luke head lol

Incredible what Lucas created.

Spielberg did ok though.

While watching the editors cut of Spiderman 3 for the first time it actually got me thinking of the PT.

You're like what...why...2 different series of movies.

First let me say that when compared to S1/S2 yes S3 is the weakest of the 3 for all the reasons that have been discussed since its release in 2007.

But the one thing it had going for it was the relationship between the 3 main leads in no small part due to the solid foundation built from the first 2 which carried over into the 3rd movie.

S3 deconstruction of their relationship is what holds that messy movie together and what makes it tolerable to sit thru you really care about those 3 and that ending still to this day hurts.

See where i'm going with this in relation to the PT.

If the PT even had 50% of the relationship building between Anakin ObiWan and the Jedi Order that was in S1, S2 then that painful downward spiral in S3 Anakin's fall would have been devastating to watch.

But nope lets start TPM with a 10 year old JUST to show off an extended pod racing scene. :slap

Last edited:
The time has come to tell you all something very personal. I keep my ear to the ground and I hear everything everybody says. And for the past year and a half the words 'TheDucky’ have been completely misunderstood and misused. It doesn't seem anybody in the Universe understands what I mean; anybody in this thread doesn't understand who I am. Basically who TheDucky is in its truest form is the truth. It's honesty. You boil it down and then the essence of TheDucky is exactly what all of you lack, honesty. Seems the perception of me is somebody who is a little disgruntled and sat down in a forum and aired his grievance. I became the voice of the voiceless. And then maybe my ego was like a runaway train and I suddenly b*tched and moaned and complained about respect and how I didn't get enough of it.

So anyways.. About the Spider-man trilogy comparison to the PT..

I see what Jye is saying there. It would have been awesome if they built the relationship with Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme as good as SM trilogy did with their core three.

If GL pulled that off I would have been able to look past every other issue. Even the goofy acting. With a solid relationship created it would have made ROTS epic. Making Anakin a child also made it difficult to fully get invested with his character because you also ended up changing actors... So it there was that issue also.

But it is what it is.

So anyways.. About the Spider-man trilogy comparison to the PT..

I see what Jye is saying there. It would have been awesome if they built the relationship with Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme as good as SM trilogy did with their core three.

If GL pulled that off I would have been able to look past every other issue. Even the goofy acting. With a solid relationship created it would have made ROTS epic. Making Anakin a child also made it difficult to fully get invested with his character because you also ended up changing actors... So it there was that issue also.

But it is what it is.

I forgot to mention Padme which really makes ROTS the same as Spiderman 3.

All the silly wacky stuff of twirling Emperor, Emperor legs up in the air in his chair, stiff Mace, fighting Yoda, Silly battle droids, lame space battle, lava battle etc would all be tolerable just like it is in S3 because of the solid relationship building.

Raimi Spiderman truly has some solid character building.

Adult GL sucks at writing lol

Yeah that's funny I think I remember people talking about the dynamic between the main three in SM3 being superior when compared to ROTS back in the day.

An even bigger example of basically doing the ROTS story "correctly" is The Winter Soldier. Two buddies where one gets converted by the enemy, the bad one grows out his hair and gets a cybernetic arm while Sam Jackson interacts with a holographic council, lol. If only Anakin and Obi-Wan could have had a fraction of the relationship established by Cap and Bucky, and Cap and Bucky did it with just half of one movie, let alone an entire trilogy.

Yeah that's funny I think I remember people talking about the dynamic between the main three in SM3 being superior when compared to ROTS back in the day.

An even bigger example of basically doing the ROTS story "correctly" is The Winter Soldier. Two buddies where one gets converted by the enemy, the bad one grows out his hair and gets a cybernetic arm while Sam Jackson interacts with a holographic council, lol. If only Anakin and Obi-Wan could have had a fraction of the relationship established by Cap and Bucky, and Cap and Bucky did it with just half of one movie, let alone an entire trilogy.

That also works but that movie is structurally sound nothing wrong with it at all where S3 is a sloppy superhero mess that is saved, and barely I might add, by the strong unmasked relationships between the characters.

Prior to the prequels, I always imagined that Anakin Skywalker, Luke & Leia's mother (unnamed at the time) and Obi-Wan had been caught up in a tragic love triangle. But once they introduced kid Anakin, young teens Padme, and late teens/early 20s Obi-Wan that idea pretty much went out the window, although it felt a little like they tried to shoehorn it in to Ep III when Anakin accuses Padme of being "with him!". Had the trio been closer in age and a love triangle dynamic been introduced in addition to Anakin's instability and lust for power, it could have added more fuel to the fire and given the actors more to work with.

That also works but that movie is structurally sound nothing wrong with it at all where S3 is a sloppy superhero mess that is saved, and barely I might add, by the strong unmasked relationships between the characters.

Yeah.. I dont know if I am ready to say saved :lol

But SW being SW I would have loved to have had characters done that well. I revisit the PT far more then I do the SM trilogy so solid relationships and characters would have been a god send.

SM2 is a decent film but I really don't think the other two are anything special at all. But the main characters are solid and so it works as a whole.

Having said that.. I don't know if I will ever watch the SM trilogy ever again :lol

Prior to the prequels, I always imagined that Anakin Skywalker, Luke & Leia's mother (unnamed at the time) and Obi-Wan had been caught up in a tragic love triangle. But once they introduced kid Anakin, young teens Padme, and late teens/early 20s Obi-Wan that idea pretty much went out the window, although it felt a little like they tried to shoehorn it in to Ep III when Anakin accuses Padme of being "with him!". Had the trio been closer in age and a love triangle dynamic been introduced in addition to Anakin's instability and lust for power, it could have added more fuel to the fire and given the actors more to work with.

I am happy that they did not go with the lover's triangle as a plot point. Like you said GL tried to shoehorn it in with the million other things he was doing. A love triangle may have made Obi Wan and Padme more unlikable and not really fit in with the Vader was seduced by the dark side. Would have been a different seduction all together. :lol

Prior to the prequels, I always imagined that Anakin Skywalker, Luke & Leia's mother (unnamed at the time) and Obi-Wan had been caught up in a tragic love triangle.

I definitely thought Lucas would borrow from Arthur, Lancelot and Guinevere... but I agree romantic entanglements do cloud Obi-Wan's simplistic do-gooder motivations. Even up to ROTS I thought Lucas would at least have Anakin believe there was a tryst going on between Padme and Kenobi...

They could have gone the "Three's Company" route where Anakin is always hearing Obi-Wan and Padme in the next room talking about something innocent that sounds totally suggestive out of context, lol.

Then Anakin could be all:

tenor.gif

They could have gone the "Three's Company" route where Anakin is always hearing Obi-Wan and Padme in the next room talking about something innocent that sounds totally suggestive out of context, lol.

Then Anakin could be all:

tenor.gif

Does that mean Obi Wan would be Larry Dallas?? Ewwwwwww

Yeah.. I dont know if I am ready to say saved :lol

But SW being SW I would have loved to have had characters done that well. I revisit the PT far more then I do the SM trilogy so solid relationships and characters would have been a god send.

SM2 is a decent film but I really don't think the other two are anything special at all. But the main characters are solid and so it works as a whole.

Having said that.. I don't know if I will ever watch the SM trilogy ever again :lol

Well that's a given for us here

SW > SM

ALWAYS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back