Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed episode 1. I struggled with the 2nd also. Big reason why I did not return right away. It was really well made but was tired of new shows expanding two episodes worth of material over 5 or 6 episodes. I thought that is where Andor was going.

Anyways I watched 3 and 4 tonight.

I’m back in.

I thought the escape in 3 was better than most any other action scene in any of the SW D+ shows.

I can’t get over the quality of acting, directing, writing, and cinematic feel this show has over all the other SW shows also. Did they cut the budget of all the other shows and give it to this one?

And the imperials with their English accents… I’m in SW heaven :lol
Glad you're back in JAWS! My sentiments exactly on the quality of this show and man you're gonna love what's still to come!

I really enjoyed episode 1. I struggled with the 2nd also. Big reason why I did not return right away. It was really well made but was tired of new shows expanding two episodes worth of material over 5 or 6 episodes. I thought that is where Andor was going.

Anyways I watched 3 and 4 tonight.

I’m back in.

I thought the escape in 3 was better than most any other action scene in any of the SW D+ shows.

I can’t get over the quality of acting, directing, writing, and cinematic feel this show has over all the other SW shows also. Did they cut the budget of all the other shows and give it to this one?

And the imperials with their English accents… I’m in SW heaven :lol

Finally... with JAWS and Khev, the circle is now complete.

I can't remember their names, but the Imperial ISB lady, the security guy who got fired and Grand Maester Qyburn are all standouts. Her fierce determination to serve the Empire is actually scary in the sense that in regimes like this there's actually people that are driven to serve in such a way, compounded by people like Qyburn who are exact and demand respect, but with that added element of praise (He's a great Imperial boss, assertive yet praiseful lol) and you can see the determination of the failed security guard. He's an interesting counterpart to what you'd usually expect of just general people living under oppression, trying to fight for what's right and having something taken from them so fighting tooth and nail to get their mission accomplished, except he's on the Imperial side.

The show definitely excelled at actually, beyond just pure evil shenanigans, why the Empire is so fearful and why they're so powerful - seeing these types of characters behind the veil is bloody entertaining but also great at bolstering the lore of the Universe.

Oh no, Skarsgard has had a massive varied career working steadily since the seventies, tbh I don’t think I’ve seen any of the films he did with Lars von Trier which I must rectify, but he’s great in the original version of Insomnia (far better than Nolan’s remake), he’s in Ronin and Hunt For Red October plus as someone mentioned he’s amazing in Good Will Hunting.
I was thinking of the last 10/15 years but fair point, I'd forgotten about Ronin and Red October. I'll track down that original Insomnia and give it a go.
Feels like a long time since he's done something serious and I suspect many people won't have seen his dramatic roles. I hope he gets more after Andor.

315316768_1542228692907580_9070365159188290875_n.jpg

This just popped up on my Facebook.

Explains how the sets looked so great. Reminds me of what they did on Rogue One with turning the Underground overnight into Scariff. No idea what it is with Rogue One and its off shoots but they just get things right. Love the idea of turning English locations into a Star Wars location with great use of existing architecture and design aided by CG.

Oh no, Skarsgard has had a massive varied career working steadily since the seventies, tbh I don’t think I’ve seen any of the films he did with Lars von Trier which I must rectify, but he’s great in the original version of Insomnia (far better than Nolan’s remake), he’s in Ronin and Hunt For Red October plus as someone mentioned he’s amazing in Good Will Hunting.
Love him in Ronin, great movie

This just popped up on my Facebook.

Explains how the sets looked so great. Reminds me of what they did on Rogue One with turning the Underground overnight into Scariff. No idea what it is with Rogue One and its off shoots but they just get things right. Love the idea of turning English locations into a Star Wars location with great use of existing architecture and design aided by CG.
Yeah, I'm so glad that they broke free from "the Volume" for this show.

Its amazing how they can covert the locations. Even adding the shiny floor seamlessly. I suppose there will be a new generation of kids with keen new eyes that will be able to see the trick and joke how "cheap" it looks in the future.

“Yep, we’re old-school,” chuckles series mastermind (and Rogue One alumnus) Tony Gilroy “We didn’t use StageCraft at all.”

During a TCA panel today, Gilroy further explained the reasoning behind this decision. "There's no way to do both," Gilroy said. "Either you're a Volume show or not a Volume show. It just didn't lend itself to that kind of production and you can't choose between them."

“As an actor, it’s beautiful,” says Luna on the practical production. “Everything is mechanical. You’re interacting with real stuff.” Fiona Shaw, who plays Maarva in the series, also revelled in the practicality. “My character’s house is built from parts of old spaceships,” she says. “I used to go out and just stare at it. Breathtaking.” The only downside? Shooting with expansive vistas occasionally meant some big, long walks. “In Pitlochry, Scotland, we had to walk for hours up a mountain to set up one shot,” says Luna. “Huge effort. Really dangerous to get there. All you can see around you is sky, trees, rivers, lakes. Amazing! Like being on another planet.”

Last episode is extraordinary. I honestly kept thinking they were going to do something awful, something Boba Fett level bad, I was terrified of it and it never happened. It just completely stayed true to everything that has come before. Sure there were a few plot strands not resolved, but nothing crucial. The music was particularly fantastic.

Last edited:
Last episode is extraordinary. I honestly kept thinking they were going to do something awful, something Boba Fett level bad, I was terrified of it and it never happened. It just completely stayed true to everything that has come before. Sure there were a few plot strands not resolved, but nothing crucial. The music was particularly fantastic.
Yep. Satisfying but am desperate for more. Extraordinary is the right word. At least now I can binge the whole season.

Stick around after the credits.
Yes indeed.

Not directly related but I bought Michael Clayton on bluray in the Black Friday sales just so I could get a bit more of a Tony Gilroy fix. Unbelievably its MIA on any streaming service in Australia nor is it available on disc.

Back