Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only was so much of BoBF and OWK cringe levels of silly, but everywhere I turn are animated characters infiltrating every live action production. A lot of that stuff is conceptually so far removed from the grounded grittiness of a central conflict between authoritarian empire and desperate renegade rebellion. And that's the foundation from 1977. SW just isn't the same without it. Andor is bringing it in excess, and I love it. Because, without even realizing it, the absence of that gritty and relatable dynamic was making SW nearly unwatchable for me.

Less animated/cartoony and more 1977 naturally means more humans. And it is great to have humans at the centre again. But it's a big galaxy out there.

I like Filoni but with him it's more about the attempt and task-mastering, not the actual execution of the material.

Like George before him. It's a double-edged sword, that's how things are pushed forward.

Have to be honest, I was a little disappointed in this one only because of expectations. We've been told of the 3 episode arcs, so I was expecting this one to be the pay-off episode and obviously it's not.

Still good. Still adding to the layers, characters, etc... but felt a bit flat overall.

I'm guessing, by the ending, next week will be the pay-off?

Have to be honest, I was a little disappointed in this one only because of expectations. We've been told of the 3 episode arcs, so I was expecting this one to be the pay-off episode and obviously it's not.

Still good. Still adding to the layers, characters, etc... but felt a bit flat overall.

I'm guessing, by the ending, next week will be the pay-off?
Episode 7 wasn’t part of this arc.

Even though there was no 'action moments' this week, I really enjoyed this episode too.

Performance of the week has to go to Denise Gough's face when she meets Syril. That was the kind of Star Wars content I did not know I needed.

It's interesting how they're now leaning more into Dedra's casual attitude towards ordering torture, executions and secret killings. Even though we might see her as a competent officer just doing her job (and trying to further her own career), it quite efficiently emphasises the Empire's ruthlessness and absolute intolerance of any dissent. I wonder how far she will eventually go in the name of 'preserving order'.

Interesting developments with Vel and Mon which makes sense of Cinta's remarks last week. That connection makes me feel like it's eventually going to give Mon another reason to hate the Empire though...

Poor Ulaf in the prison. Now that it's been revealed that no-one will ever leave Narkina 5, I wonder whether the plan next week will be a small scale escape or a full-scale revolt.

tourist.jpg

I think 7 was a catch our breath episode before the prison arc.

Cassian left Maarva behind and gets arrested, Luthen and Mon plan the next steps, Syril slowly gets seen by the ISB, Dedra makes her move to get jurisdiction over Ferrix.

The whole season has been planned and thought out so well, and the plotlines are converging perfectly.

Poor Ulaf in the prison. Now that it's been revealed that no-one will ever leave Narkina 5, I wonder whether the plan next week will be a small scale escape or a full-scale revolt.
It's got to be a full scale revolt or they will fry all the prisoners on the other levels. Unless they can somehow either contain it to one level or just a few slip out?

Further to my comments above on Dedra, here's an interview with Denise Gough on the character:

https://www.fanthatracks.com/interviews/denise-gough-talks-dedra-meero-in-star-wars-andor/
"It’s really important to me that there are no factions outlined: it’s important that Dedra feels like the heroine of her story, and that’s why she’s scary. He is a fascist. He believes in something, but it is fascism. At first you have to root for her, you feel like you’re rooting for her, but then you realize that no matter how strong a woman she is in a world of men, you realize that she is just a fascist in a world of fascists.

"Power corrodes everyone, men and women: she never apologizes, believes in everything she does and truly believes that she will save the galaxy, so she is credible and frightening. Cassian could also be a villain if you think about it, he kills both at the beginning of the series and the movie. He’s the villain of someone else’s story."

It's got to be a full scale revolt or they will fry all the prisoners on the other levels. Unless they can somehow either contain it to one level or just a few slip out?

The problem is in any of these scenarios - how does anyone get out when they're isolated in the ocean?

Back