Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a Fandor of Andor.

Mon Mothma is rather captivating but otherwise this show is a consistent sleep-aid for me. BOBF was cartoonish and silly but this unfortunately goes way too far in the other direction IMO. Mandalorian is the sweet spot....well, at least it was. They undermined their own story with what they pulled in BOBF so the jury is out pending season 3.
Hey, a-dev! Very glad to see a post from you in this thread; you've been away too long. I'm bummed that you're not enjoying the show, though.

Personally, I'm profoundly grateful that Andor is going so far in the opposite direction from cartoonish and silly. When the pendulum swings too far to one side, an equally exaggerated swing to the opposite side can provide a needed equilibrium. And SW had been swinging waaaaaay too far to the cartoonish (and often downright stupid) side lately, IMO.

Not only was so much of BoBF and OWK cringe levels of silly, but everywhere I turn are animated characters infiltrating every live action production. A lot of that stuff is conceptually so far removed from the grounded grittiness of a central conflict between authoritarian empire and desperate renegade rebellion. And that's the foundation from 1977. SW just isn't the same without it. Andor is bringing it in excess, and I love it. Because, without even realizing it, the absence of that gritty and relatable dynamic was making SW nearly unwatchable for me.

Andor is returning balance to the Force. Tony Gilroy is the Chosen One. :lol I hope the show becomes more engaging for you. I think you'd at least have to agree that it's adding great texture to the OT by fleshing out both sides of the conflict. Either way, don't be such a stranger. :duff

Andor is returning balance to the Force. Tony Gilroy is the Chosen One. :lol I hope the show becomes more engaging for you. I think you'd at least have to agree that it's adding great texture to the OT by fleshing out both sides of the conflict. Either way, don't be such a stranger. :duff
Indeed, Gilroy is showing the chops.

I like Filoni but with him it's more about the attempt and task-mastering, not the actual execution of the material.

Indeed, Gilroy is showing the chops.

I like Filoni but with him it's more about the attempt and task-mastering, not the actual execution of the material.
I know that Filoni has a lot of fans, and I mean no disrespect to any of them with this, but he and Gilroy don't even belong in the same sentence. Filoni depends almost exclusively on tropes and quasi-adaptation of works he's fond of. He's fortunate that there's an inexhaustible supply of these anime, samurai films, and westerns to pull from, otherwise, I'm not convinced he'd be able to start a script, much less finish one.

The derivative nature of his output doesn't bother those who don't mind the same narrative beats and themes being applied in broad strokes to SW, and I get that. It also plays well to younger audiences who just haven't consumed enough material to recognize the on-the-nose parallels. But with Gilroy, the integration of previous work is done the way I think it should be: as inspiration rather than emulation.

Take the prison sequences from this last episode of Andor for example. Are there echoes of classic prison films? Yes. Are aesthetic aspects a nod to THX-1138? Sure. A plot mechanism reminiscent of Squid Game? Yep. But the mix is eclectic and used sparingly enough, while still anchored to Gilroy's 70's-cinema sensibilities, to be original and feel new. And Gilroy's storytelling proficiency in general is just on another level, IMO. SW is lucky to have that right now, and I suspect that some of those who don't currently care for it will someday appreciate having the material elevated like this.

How are you doing hommie?

Glad to see you posting again.

Hey, a-dev! Very glad to see a post from you in this thread; you've been away too long. I'm bummed that you're not enjoying the show, though.

Personally, I'm profoundly grateful that Andor is going so far in the opposite direction from cartoonish and silly. When the pendulum swings too far to one side, an equally exaggerated swing to the opposite side can provide a needed equilibrium. And SW had been swinging waaaaaay too far to the cartoonish (and often downright stupid) side lately, IMO.

Not only was so much of BoBF and OWK cringe levels of silly, but everywhere I turn are animated characters infiltrating every live action production. A lot of that stuff is conceptually so far removed from the grounded grittiness of a central conflict between authoritarian empire and desperate renegade rebellion. And that's the foundation from 1977. SW just isn't the same without it. Andor is bringing it in excess, and I love it. Because, without even realizing it, the absence of that gritty and relatable dynamic was making SW nearly unwatchable for me.

Lame, silly Star Wars outweighs better Star Wars by such an amount at this point perhaps it reset not only my expectations but even my requirements of Star Wars. It also may just be a bad time for me to be watching it - I appreciate that you guys noticed my absence for awhile. There was a reason for it but I don't think I'll raise it here.

Lame, silly Star Wars outweighs better Star Wars by such an amount at this point perhaps it reset not only my expectations but even my requirements of Star Wars. It also may just be a bad time for me to be watching it - I appreciate that you guys noticed my absence for awhile. There was a reason for it but I don't think I'll raise it here.
I consider Mando S1/S2 and Andor to be equals but each has their own unique reasons why they are equals.

Mando: High quality swashbuckling in need of more quality character studies.

Andor: High quality character studies in need of more swashbuckling.

I love both equally.

a-dev we luv you equally lol

Last edited:
The only people I have met IRL who dislike the show are, shall we say, a little on slow side of things. The kind that Idiocracy warned of.

Those who see it as OK but a little boring being of average intellect but short attention spans (the cellphone glued types)

and those who liked it have been of the above average intellect/attention span.

This is obviously anecdotal, not to mention a limited sample so probably not reflective of the users here but an interesting pattern I noticed.

Disney, is that you?

Seriously, I want that all on a t-shirt.

Now, point out the slow people...

4993e54a8795a52ab349a3e077065f0d615e90ed.gifv

Back