Skin tone paint?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also would like to know what kind of brushes you guys are using.
Which brand? Which brushes are good for dry brushing, detail, etc?

My favorite brush is my Princeton #1 Round 7400R. Model Masters makes good brushes too in their high end line of brushes.

Stupid question here, but acrylic or enamel paint? I have no idea what the difference is, and they have both at my local hobby store.

acrylic thins with water, enamel needs special thinner or turps ect.more or less :) i use acrylic to paint with but my varnish is enamel

Stupid question here, but acrylic or enamel paint? I have no idea what the difference is, and they have both at my local hobby store.

Go with acrylic, this is water based. Enamel is oil based.

With acrylic you can use brushes, with enamel is recommended for airbrushing unless you have experience then you can also use with brush.

Do you guys prime the head first before painting? Or just a simple wash with water and soap...then straight to painting with color?

I always prime the heads with grey primer. I always prime everything that needs painting, it's a habit I got from painting models back in my "miniature modeling" days.

I always prime the heads with grey primer. I always prime everything that needs painting, it's a habit I got from painting models back in my "miniature modeling" days.

Thanks Cheungkinmen! Whats the name of the grey primer you use? Would like to purchase it...starting my first HS tomorrow.

Any grey primer spray should work, these are formulated to make paint stick to the primed surface, while killing off the shine and color of the unpainted piece.

The brand I use is local ( I live in costa rica) so I can't help you there. But for a head sculpt I recommend high quality ones from any hobby shop like the model masters or tamiya primer, or you can try any brand at your hardware store anyways, they are also good, but the hobby ones are finer.

Ask anyone at the store which primer is good for acrylic paint. :)

Any grey primer spray should work, these are formulated to make paint stick to the primed surface, while killing off the shine and color of the unpainted piece.

The brand I use is local ( I live in costa rica) so I can't help you there. But for a head sculpt I recommend high quality ones from any hobby shop like the model masters or tamiya primer, or you can try any brand at your hardware store anyways, they are also good, but the hobby ones are finer.

Ask anyone at the store which primer is good for acrylic paint. :)

Thanks!! :hi5:

Is priming relay necessary? and why grey would white work as well?

Last edited:
Is priming relay necessary? and why grey would white work as well?

Depends on your project. If you are painting a skin colored resin you would not need to prime it, this is to keep the translucency going on.

Now on white casts you'll need to prime it because:

1 - The surface of the resin does not absorb or retain the paint you'll be applying, so it'll be prone to chipping.

2 - I don't know which paint you are using, but in my case the skin color I use benefits a lot from a grey primer than a white primer. With white primer the skin color ends up too bright for my tastes, in this case we want the skin color to be a little opaque, so a grey background helps.

White primer is good for bright colors, say a yellow or a red. Grey primer is for opaque and darker colors like brown or navy blue. If you paint yellow over a black background, you're gonna have a bad time :p .

All these are from my own experience and experimentation, might not be the same for other people, but it just works for me.

Hey thanks for the info I really like you work you have such a great sculpting style and very clean tight paint work. love your Leslie Nielsen figure.:clap

Some good tips there cheung :)! I just want to add to all this When u apply the primer u only need to spay it ever so lightly. Sometimes i use 2 light coats. u ant it to go on as thin as possable.

Some good tips there cheung :)! I just want to add to all this When u apply the primer u only need to spay it ever so lightly. Sometimes i use 2 light coats. u ant it to go on as thin as possable.

Yes, forgot to mention that. :peace Go lightly on the primer 'cause too much and it'll kill the details on the sculpts. Like my first paint jobs, haha.

What is a good way to add skin shade detailed with paint? like in the lines and folds of the face.

Back