Skin tone paint?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a good way to add skin shade detailed with paint? like in the lines and folds of the face.

If we are talking about headsculpts for 1/6 figures I am the type of person who thinks that the shading should be achieved by the sculpt itself naturally under different light conditions, but some people apply washes of a darker skin tone. If painting miniatures or models, then washes are a must.

Here's a small tutorial of how to apply wash on a miniature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OlJVubeExvk#t=92s

It's the same principle if you are to apply on a sculpt.

He uses premade washes by citadel. You can thin the paint with water and then apply it just the same.

Yes it's for 1/6 I'm trying to repaint some heads. thanks for the info and links.

Never thought about priming and was so excited to begin when I received the paints that I just started brushing away. Is there something I can "seal" the sculpts with do deter the paint chipping and avoid having to primer them?

Any kind of paint sealer should work, be it glossy or matte. For sculpts I recommend a matte sealer. I can't recommend a brand as I'm using a local brand, but I heard good things about Testors Dullcote or Krylon's matte sealer.

Cheungkinmen if you don't shade the folds of the face how do you add more color to the face of the sculpts you do?

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but I thought I'll ask here. I use acrylic paints from art store to paint head sculpts, not the ones sold at hobby stores. And I paintbrush. Once I tried using airbrush, but the result was not good. Airbrush needs more water so that the paint can be sprayed, but because of it the paint won't stick to the sculpt. Can you airbrush acrylic paints? Any tips to do it?

Last edited:
I'm just getting more into painting my own heads and,depending on the final results, hope to continue doing so. I'm still working n making the faces acceptable to me, and have an OK liking of my darker hairings, but how doe one acquire a decent blonde or strawberry blonde hair color?

Ok I tried mixing white with Raw Sienna and Raw Umber and basically got a color that would work great if you were trying to paint a greyish skull like color.

So I started from scratch and mixed white with Leather and Raw Sienna. While it's not a perfect match to the skin on the TTM19 body, I'm pretty happy with it.

Plus the fact that the skin certainly doesn't have to look picture perfect when painting a cancer-ridden Deadpool head. :)

Here is what I have so far. I plan on painting the recessed areas of his head some sort of dark reddish color and maybe doing a light black wash when done.

I have no idea what I'm doing, so I may just paint the eyes solid white and not even try to do any eye details. I'm pretty certain he'll look ridiculous if I even try that.

523159_10152183773629460_1922923486_n.jpg

Can you airbrush acrylic paints? Any tips to do it?

I am still trying my hand at airbrushing, but you can virtually spray anything with an airbrush as long as it is properly thinned. For acrylic use good old water, some people even use windex to dilute the paint. The idea is to thin the paint into milk consistency, it also depends on the PSI you use on your compressor.

I am not an expert, but I'm failing my way to success.

Anyways, here's a video that will answer your questions:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgzWJmK65Js[/ame]

I'm just getting more into painting my own heads and,depending on the final results, hope to continue doing so. I'm still working n making the faces acceptable to me, and have an OK liking of my darker hairings, but how doe one acquire a decent blonde or strawberry blonde hair color?

I haven't painted too many blond sculpts, but the way to go is doing it by layers from a darker color to clearer with the drybrushing technique.

Or you can go and add the color that you want then do darker washes to bring out the details.

Looking good! . Experimenting is the way to go.

I came back after letting him dry for a couple of hours, and decided to add a little red to the batch....now it looks very fleshy!

So.....White, Leather and Raw Sienna plus a dash of red.

(posting that for myself for future reference, because I know I'll forget.) :lecture

Got the patchy areas painted a deeper red. Will post another photo later tonight after he dries. Probably paint the teeth and eyes in the next day or two after he's totally dried.

To any beginners reading this thread...I want to say that these guys have some great advise...and it works!!!... Cheungkinmen is 100% correct...once you start...you start finding you own ways of achieving your look...I'm currently building my custom DREDD Figure...and could not find anyone available to paint it for me..which was a blessing in disguise to be honest...made me search these forums and I stumbled across this one and many others and took bits from each one that I knew I could handle (for example I can't airbrush to save my life..so I stuck with painting tutorials)...one of the most helpful one that I used is Cheungkinmen's above link, the second one. Went to Pearl Paint and found all the colors and brushes and set off to paint and like Cheungkinmen said..you experiment and find you groove...I found myself taking pastels and smudging them with my finger gently, instead of brush, until I found desired look, then sealed it like turorial said. I made mistakes..but quickly learned from them...and it was fun :)

Sorry for rant...but wanted to let beginners know like myself that these tips really do work! I want to thank all the pros who share their wisdom with us..truly appreciated! :1-1:

Here are some pics of my WIP Dredd..still working on Helmet..want to fix visor..not feeling paint job on it...I achieved skin tone by using the 2nd Tutorials method..Raw Siena, Burnt Siena and Titanium White...this left me with too dark of a color...so I kept adding white till I got a matching TTM19 color.

6039805A-8BF7-4876-810D-065C24C5D456-11184-000005A5F839F2A8.jpg

0E9FEE90-F0EA-4650-9C32-4E77BF312993-11184-0000059EE561CAF1.jpg

3D7D3B3A-3A90-4F3D-A529-903B12739D73-6159-00000344096B01A0.jpg

F3E7A38B-24DB-4946-9C0C-FED33E824E65-11184-0000059EE4134350.jpg

I came back after letting him dry for a couple of hours, and decided to add a little red to the batch....now it looks very fleshy!

So.....White, Leather and Raw Sienna plus a dash of red.

(posting that for myself for future reference, because I know I'll forget.) :lecture

Got the patchy areas painted a deeper red. Will post another photo later tonight after he dries. Probably paint the teeth and eyes in the next day or two after he's totally dried.

Can't wait to see it C! I just received this HS too and it's amazing!...scared to death to paint this one! :lol

I figured it was a great place to start, this is my first fleshy head sculpt paint job myself. It doesn't have to look pretty to look good. ;)

Nice job the both of you. :clap Hey Pajji did you prime the sculpt first?

Indeed! I used Tamiya Light Grey Primer....came in a small spray can...washed HS first with water and soap then took it outside and sprayed lightly twice to cover entire sculpt :)

@Pajji:

Glad I was of help :) , sometimes we need a little push to the right direction to keep going and finding our own path. The paint work looks great so far!.

BTW, I'm no pro, I'm just a passionate hobbyist :) .

Back