S.H. Figuarts DC Extended Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used MyKombini plenty, they can't ship with the old shipping methods. I would assume the first charge was for what it was originally going to cost, and then the extra was for the bump to Fedex or DHL since they can't ship Japanpost anymore.

That wonder woman looks unreal. Really good sculpt and face printing

Indeed! considering the scale, they managed to make Gadot's likeness, and also her body proportions! The articulations works very well too, and the paintjob is top notch. I bought 2, because this is just too good.

IMG_3009.jpg

My SHF Batman 1989 will be arriving sometime in the next 12 hours or so and I'm really excited.

No...it's not the Hot Toys figure. The head leaves a LOT to be desired. NECA was great but the paint was slop, he could barely move, and you ran the risk of snapping a limb off if you look at it funny.

This one is a TOY. It's gonna be able to get into all kinds of poses that Keaton himself probably couldn't get in to! I can't wait to pose him around...kicking, punching, cape up, cape down...it's just gonna be FUN.

Now then, it's egregious that a merely "fun" figure that doesn't even stand 6 inches high cost the better part of $100, but hey....it is what it is. I paid back in January or so, so I don't even miss that money. Just looking forward to a really cool Batman for my shelf to finally satisfy my inner 12 year old that was horrifically let down by that ugly Toy Biz figure from the summer of 89, and then the Kenner Super Powers repaint/rehashes a year later, not a single one of which was movie accurate.

Dare we dream that SHF will give us a Returns suit too? Nah...nobody's done that but Hot Toys and I couldn't afford both.

First ever Batman figure to achieve the two handed spear-gun firing pose?

IMG-0301.jpg

First ever Batman figure to achieve the two handed spear-gun firing pose?

Why would Batman need to fire the grapple gun like that? :rotfl

Now then, it's egregious that a merely "fun" figure that doesn't even stand 6 inches high cost the better part of $100, but hey....it is what it is. I paid back in January or so, so I don't even miss that money. Just looking forward to a really cool Batman for my shelf to finally satisfy my inner 12 year old that was horrifically let down by that ugly Toy Biz figure from the summer of 89, and then the Kenner Super Powers repaint/rehashes a year later, not a single one of which was movie accurate.

Dare we dream that SHF will give us a Returns suit too? Nah...nobody's done that but Hot Toys and I couldn't afford both.

I doubt your 12 year old self would thought of something like that that, but sure :lol

He fires it two handed when he's saving Vicki Vale and then fights the Joker thugs.

17_batman_and_vicki_vale.jpg

Hot Toys and NECA sure as hell can't do that!

And it didn't drive you crazy as a kid that toy companies seemingly refused to make movie or cartoon accurate figures? It drove me up the wall. Not a single Batman figure ever had the movie accurate bat-logo as seen in the movie until Hot Toys, unless there was some foreign figure I was unaware of.

I don't know why toy companies thought kids were dumb and wanted to play with garish colored repaints instead of how the figures looked in the movies.

Maybe I just a genius or something but I wanted the movie accuracy, even as a kid!

And it didn't drive you crazy as a kid that toy companies seemingly refused to make movie or cartoon accurate figures? It drove me up the wall. Not a single Batman figure ever had the movie accurate bat-logo as seen in the movie until Hot Toys, unless there was some foreign figure I was unaware of.

I don't know why toy companies thought kids were dumb and wanted to play with garish colored repaints instead of how the figures looked in the movies.

Maybe I just a genius or something but I wanted the movie accuracy, even as a kid!

With you on that. I only bought the gimmicky stuff (or rather had my mum buy me it) because it was all I could find. Not that I got no enjoyment from the made-up stuff but would have easily, far preferred something movie accurate - whether we were talking about Batman, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Turtles, everything.

Though ironically I now get enjoyment from toys that are made to tribute those old ridiculous toys.

That's why even though I was in high school and not supposed to "play with toys" anymore I'll be forever indebted to my dad for buying me the Alien vs Predator set by Kenner....the first one. The alien was all black, no goofy colors. The Predator looked like the movie and had a removable mask. I still have it. I just loved that thing.

Anyway, the more I mess with this SHF Batman the more I love it. You gotta understand it's tiny. It's just bigger than the old Toy Biz Marvel figures and way under a standard modern 6 inch figure. He's roughly the height of the Plasma series Ghostbusters but they're bulkier.

The face isn't great...especially the eyes, and the cape is too damn thick. But we've all learned a lot over the years about futzing with 89 Batman capes. Besides, the cape is removable if something better comes along.

I am curious if other people are gonna look past the flaws and focus on just what this is: a FUN toy. A damn expensive one, for sure, but he's fun and I'm really digging it right now. I think it's gonna end up in my top ten of the year.

I got the ‘89 Batman yesterday. Despite some obvious issues, I’ve very much been looking forward to it. While I’ve got a number of S.h. MonsterArts figures, this is my first S.h. FiguArts figure. I’m happy to say I am very pleased with it overall. The figure itself is very well engineered and feels very sturdy. I love my Mafex DC collection and will continue to add to it, but I have to hand it to Bandai. This definitely feels more durable and is more fun to play around with because of that.

As for the issues, there’s three that I think are worth mentioning. First is the size. He’s definitely on the small side for a six inch scale figure. But I was well aware that Figuarts were notorious for being a smidge shrimpy before I placed my order and he’s close enough to mix in with other lines that it’s not a problem for me. But it was worth mentioning I think because it might be an issue for some people.

Second is the ears are inaccurate in shape, specifically when viewed from the side. It’s a very minor gripe but the ‘89 mask had very prominent ears with a very unique profile that really contributed to the overall awesome look of the ‘89 suit. A minor issue at this scale that doesn’t ruin the figure but is something I noticed right away.

Third is the elephant in the room. The cape. There’s just no way to put it nicely. It sucks. It’s completely unwieldy and is constantly in the way. The material itself does look very nice (and screen accurate - the texture I’m talking about), has a nice velvety soft feel and seems high quality and durable. But it’s so impossibly thick that getting it to drape is a laughable concept. I have no idea how they got it to drape as well as they did in the promo photos on the box. The saving grace is it’s very easy to remove the cape so replacing it with something better will be a cinch. Downside is you have to either find someone selling custom capes or make one yourself.

But with a better cape, this will easily be one of, if not my single favorite Batman figure in my collection.

FoBAZbE.jpg
C2gc0Bl.jpg
3FWuITV.jpg
BZEwszX.jpg
gvzA3tR.jpg
9kLhSLO.jpg
89xOxfS.jpg

What I did to try to "crop" the cape for when I want it to lay as flat as I can get it, was to bunch it up in the back (not unlike the original 89 Hot Toys) and just hold it in place with a black paperclip.

It's not perfect and it's not elegant, it's ugly from the back, but it still looks better to me from the front than just a dude wearing these enormous curtains going out from his sides.

This'll do for me for now, and I'll keep the cape around for the "put the plastic sticks in it and spread it" pose, but man....the minute someone has a nice draping cape for this guy, I'm getting one. It really is a FUN figure and the articulation and accessories are great. Just has that soft likeness and the worst damn cape on a Batman in years.

IMG-0354.jpg

I keep going back and reposing this guy every chance I get. Ignoring the cape issue, this guy is just a ton of fun to play with. The eyes are too light (I went back and looked and Keaton has dark green or hazel irises, whereas this seems to have super light baby blue eyes as best I can tell) but they’re so tiny at this scale it doesn’t bother me. I did briefly consider repainting them. But then I picked up the figure again and there’s just no way I’d be able to paint accurate dots that tiny without screwing it up. I think the sculpt looks a lot more like Keaton than most photos indicate. And it looks really good in hand with indirect natural sunlight. A quick spray of dullcote on the faceplates would probably make it even better. Not sure if I’m willing to try it though...

LDJ9WmP.jpg
Z67kous.jpg
UdQYIab.jpg

I picked up a SHF 89 Batman cheap on eBay this week and he is a lot better than I feared he would be. The cape is just as awful as expected but looks great in the open cape pose.

The face and cowl were nowhere as bad as photos make it out to be though and the body is great to pose. Was never a fan of the NECA figure - awkward limbs, limited articulation, and a big head/small shoulder ratio that never looked right.

He is small but that is no issue when I have no other figures to put with him. I gave the eyes a light black wash to tone them down and have coated the face plates in matt finish to take the doll like finish away.

I also made a temporary cape to test until someone makes an appropriate aftermark one.

Now to see how Mezco do with theirs

Attachments

• 20210213_115804.jpg
    20210213_115804.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210213_113033.jpg
    20210213_113033.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 74
Back