RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In The Land Of Saints and Sinners ...9/10.

Solid picture and performance from Liam Neeson and cast. I found it entertaining from start to finish.

Great title too.

Just going to throw this out there but 1987 is a great year for movies. I think I saw more movies at the cinema this year over any other. RoboCop, Princess Bride, Raising Arizona, The Untouchables, Predator, Evil Dead 2, Withnail And I, Tin Men, Hellraiser, The Hidden, Angel Heart, Prince Of Darkness, Lost Boys, Broadcast News, Empire Of The Sun, Sign O The Times, Full Metal Jacket, Near Dark, Innerspace, Moonstruck, Planes Trains & Automobiles, A Night On The Town, Wall St, Best Seller, Roxanne, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Elm St 3, Stepfather, La Bamba, Fatal Attraction, Last Emperor, Good Morning Vietnam, Spaceballs, Opera, Amazon Women On The Moon. I mean sure not all of these are great great but wow you just don’t get that kind of quality depth in a year anymore.

I think pretty much every year during the 80s had that kind of amazing lineup.
True but I think it’s the volume, increasing number of productions, they just didn’t make as many movies back in 81 and it was building to a peak and at least for me the quality started to slide after this, films became less cinematic to conform to tv, people like Joe Dante and Spielberg have even admitted this, they made films in the 90s that used the wide frame less so it could be pan scanned onto tv easier. Last Crusade for example just isn’t as breathtakingly cinematic as Raiders. Sorry as usual I’m getting carried away.

Just going to throw this out there but 1987 is a great year for movies. I think I saw more movies at the cinema this year over any other. RoboCop, Princess Bride, Raising Arizona, The Untouchables, Predator, Evil Dead 2, Withnail And I, Tin Men, Hellraiser, The Hidden, Angel Heart, Prince Of Darkness, Lost Boys, Broadcast News, Empire Of The Sun, Sign O The Times, Full Metal Jacket, Near Dark, Innerspace, Moonstruck, Planes Trains & Automobiles, A Night On The Town, Wall St, Best Seller, Roxanne, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Elm St 3, Stepfather, La Bamba, Fatal Attraction, Last Emperor, Good Morning Vietnam, Spaceballs, Opera, Amazon Women On The Moon. I mean sure not all of these are great great but wow you just don’t get that kind of quality depth in a year anymore.
I reckon so.

Just as a comparison, 1986:

Aliens, Blue Velvet, Stand By Me, Ferris Bueller, The Fly, Big Trouble in Little China, Manhunter, Highlander, Platoon, The Hitcher, Star Trek IV, Salvador, Sid and Nancy, Mosquito Coast, Three Amigos, Mona Lisa, The Mission, Little Shop Of Horrors, Pretty in Pink, Top Gun, Hoosiers, The Name Of The Rose, Color Of Money, Ruthless People, Labryinth

See what I mean? Less classics, less quality and certainly less volume …

But I mean there are a few there that are desert island movies for me, so there’s that

Almost Famous 8.5/10
Is it just me or does this just get better with age?

Titanic 5.5/10
Is it just me or is this just getting worse with age? How did this ever win Oscars? Plus the 4K upgrade looks **** at times. Thanks JC.

Good times with the kids series:
Blazing Saddles 9/10
Now this holds up spectacularly well. Politics incorrect and proud. The kids loved it (but didn’t get half the jokes and there’s some I refuse to explain to them lol)

Hot Rod 7/10
Now this is a find. We love Brooklyn 99 and I assumef this wasnt appropriate. The parents guide on IMDB is fantastic (if over the top at times) and helped us out with this one. Terrific, brilliantly funny and genuinely sweet movie with a great cast, seeing Hader and McBride riff is great and Isla Fisher has never been better. Is it wrong I never bother with plots etc I just figure every one else has seen this stuff?

Minority Report 6/10
Another film that just doesn’t hold up to modern scrutiny. But did it ever? There are some cool ideas in here, but a lot of stupid ones (did they really think we would be reading dynamic newspapers on a train in the future?). The whole film just feels flat. Colin Farrell is almost the best thing about it. The action scenes are terrible, the vfx is terrible. I don’t know it even deserves a 6. I wouldn’t say Spielberg was in a slump at the time but this did come off of AI which I don’t really like either. The 4K here does no favors either.

I always enjoyed Minority Report but haven't seen it in probably 15-20 years.
Should revisit it.

RoboCop, Princess Bride, Raising Arizona, The Untouchables, Predator, Evil Dead 2, Withnail And I, Tin Men, Hellraiser, The Hidden, Angel Heart, Prince Of Darkness, Lost Boys, Broadcast News, Empire Of The Sun, Sign O The Times, Full Metal Jacket, Near Dark, Innerspace, Moonstruck, Planes Trains & Automobiles, A Night On The Town, Wall St, Best Seller, Roxanne, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Elm St 3, Stepfather, La Bamba, Fatal Attraction, Last Emperor, Good Morning Vietnam, Spaceballs, Opera, Amazon Women On The Moon.

Aliens, Blue Velvet, Stand By Me, Ferris Bueller, The Fly, Big Trouble in Little China, Manhunter, Highlander, Platoon, The Hitcher, Star Trek IV, Salvador, Sid and Nancy, Mosquito Coast, Three Amigos, Mona Lisa, The Mission, Little Shop Of Horrors, Pretty in Pink, Top Gun, Hoosiers, The Name Of The Rose, Color Of Money, Ruthless People, Labryinth
You make an interesting observation. I agree that based on your lists '87 has more absolute classics/masterpieces (Arizona, Robocop, Predator, Evil Dead 2, maybe Hellraiser on that list for me), but Aliens, Star Trek IV, and the criminally underappreciated Manhunter are really damn great as well. Plus, Top Gun, Texas Chainsaw pt. 2, From Beyond, Night of the Creeps, and Chopping Mall came out that year! 80s were frickin great for movies across the board. I'll have to go through the exercise of going year by year and trying to see what my personal favorite is.

I've got a soft spot for 1985, and just checked out movies from then. That year gave us Back to the Future, Re-Animator, Day of the Dead, Pee Wee's Great Adventure, Goonies, Weird Science, Witness, First Blood Part 2, Fright Night, and House. Also some movies I don't love but others do like Commando, Return of the Living Dead, and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

See what I mean? Less classics, less quality and certainly less volume …

But I mean there are a few there that are desert island movies for me, so there’s that

Almost Famous 8.5/10
Is it just me or does this just get better with age?

Titanic 5.5/10
Is it just me or is this just getting worse with age? How did this ever win Oscars? Plus the 4K upgrade looks **** at times. Thanks JC.

Good times with the kids series:
Blazing Saddles 9/10
Now this holds up spectacularly well. Politics incorrect and proud. The kids loved it (but didn’t get half the jokes and there’s some I refuse to explain to them lol)

Hot Rod 7/10
Now this is a find. We love Brooklyn 99 and I assumef this wasnt appropriate. The parents guide on IMDB is fantastic (if over the top at times) and helped us out with this one. Terrific, brilliantly funny and genuinely sweet movie with a great cast, seeing Hader and McBride riff is great and Isla Fisher has never been better. Is it wrong I never bother with plots etc I just figure every one else has seen this stuff?

Minority Report 6/10
Another film that just doesn’t hold up to modern scrutiny. But did it ever? There are some cool ideas in here, but a lot of stupid ones (did they really think we would be reading dynamic newspapers on a train in the future?). The whole film just feels flat. Colin Farrell is almost the best thing about it. The action scenes are terrible, the vfx is terrible. I don’t know it even deserves a 6. I wouldn’t say Spielberg was in a slump at the time but this did come off of AI which I don’t really like either. The 4K here does no favors either.
Yeah I have to agree about Minority Report. Loved it at the time but tried rewatching recently and just could not get into it.

Fortunately Cruise's other scifi movies War of the Worlds and Edge of Tomorrow still hold up as well as ever.

There are some cool ideas in here, but a lot of stupid ones (did they really think we would be reading dynamic newspapers on a train in the future?).
Some of the minority report future tech ideas were predictive, like facial recognition technology: at the Phillies ballpark you can enter the stadium with a face scan instead of showing a ticket

"Gangs of New York" 7/10

I've been hearing about this film as a masterpiece for a long time, the story is ultra predictable, simplistic, incoherent, the ending is disappointing, I heard that Weinstein forced Scorcese to make changes to the film,to the point that Scorsese wanted to quit cinema. I just liked the performance of Daniel day lewis.

"Ferrari" 5/10

I like Michael Mann, I want to say good things about his film, but it's just boring, Too many scenes with Ferrari's wife or his mistress, almost nothing about races and cars.

You make an interesting observation. I agree that based on your lists '87 has more absolute classics/masterpieces (Arizona, Robocop, Predator, Evil Dead 2, maybe Hellraiser on that list for me), but Aliens, Star Trek IV, and the criminally underappreciated Manhunter are really damn great as well. Plus, Top Gun, Texas Chainsaw pt. 2, From Beyond, Night of the Creeps, and Chopping Mall came out that year!
Can’t believe I missed some of these

80s were frickin great for movies across the board. I'll have to go through the exercise of going year by year and trying to see what my personal favorite is.
You can’t beat the punch of 82 summer, that’s legendary

I've got a soft spot for 1985, and just checked out movies from then. That year gave us Back to the Future, Re-Animator, Day of the Dead, Pee Wee's Great Adventure, Goonies, Weird Science, Witness, First Blood Part 2, Fright Night, and House. Also some movies I don't love but others do like Commando, Return of the Living Dead, and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
Agree. I watched Commando last night for the billionth time. Love it.
“I eat green berets for breakfast”
Fortunately Cruise's other scifi movies War of the Worlds and Edge of Tomorrow still hold up as well as ever.
Love the first half of WotW, hate the second half. EoT is just so great.

Hot Rod 7/10

I love Hot Rod. Glad you enjoyed it too. That's all I wanted to say.

Andy Samberg Thats Cool GIF

"Gangs of New York" 7/10

I've been hearing about this film as a masterpiece for a long time, the story is ultra predictable, simplistic, incoherent, the ending is disappointing, I heard that Weinstein forced Scorcese to make changes to the film,to the point that Scorsese wanted to quit cinema. I just liked the performance of Daniel day lewis.
I like Gangs, but don't love it. Like you, I think the primary reason to watch is for Lewis's performance. It is masterful and iconic, and pulls the whole film up. Leo is good, but I think that's my general take on Dicaprio. He's a solid actor in everything, but doesn't typically stand out too much for me on the level of an actor like Lewis, Gary Oldman, or even someone like Paul Giamatti. One exception might be Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. I love that movie completely and he was perfect for the role he was in.

In The Land Of Saints and Sinners ...9/10.

Solid picture and performance from Liam Neeson and cast. I found it entertaining from start to finish.

Great title too.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd never heard of it.

I'd go a 7.5/10 as it was a bit rough around the edges, but the time flew by (something I can't say for most movies these days), and as you said, it got me from start to finish as well.
And really good to see Neeson in an age-appropriate film.

Back