RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Zone of Interest: 10/10

Absolute masterpiece of a movie.

Now, it's certainly not for everyone. It's slow, has zero actiom, zero romance, zero comedy and is in German. And it's about the Holocaust. But if you take the time to sit through it at the cinema, it's one movie you will not forget soon.
It's quite amazing how it makes you question how you live, and how far your empathy goes by confronting you with the Nazi commander of Auschwitz and his family.
And the way it is filmed, and the sound design and acting... damn.

Seriously, best movie I have seen in ages.

"Lousy Carter."

I thought I'd take a chance on this small indie drama. That was a big waste of time. It's all right there in the title....movie was thoroughly lousy.

It's like in Wayne's World when the S**ty Beatles are playing, and Wayne asks if they're any good, and Tiny says "They suck!"

"So it's not just a clever name."

9/10 Godzilla Minus One.

All I can say is Hollywood should hang their heads in shame.

On every level this shows what is wrong with modern Hollywood. There's nothing fancy or forced - just great writing (that's clearly come from people with a lot of life experience), phenomenally executed. A great story with great characters living and suffering through the human condition. Godzilla is only there to facilitate the drama - because this is 90% character, 10% action/devastation.

I'd give it a 10, but there were 1 or 2 conveniences and some of the acting felt a bit "big" - but saying that, it's set in 1945 Japan - so who knows, it maybe accurate.

I've not been enamored with many films in the last decade, but this had my mouth hanging open, gave me chills, and a plethora of various emotions.

Masterful.

Ricky Stanicky - Decided to watch this because I've become a fan of Zac Efron (to my great surprise) and I also actually really like Cena's work. And I enjoyed this movie. It's not one I'd return to like The Iron Claw, but it was funny and diverting.
I'm starting to think Cena is actually a better actor than The Rock. Partly because he doesn't seem afraid to completely debase himself for a role (I can't imagine the Rock ever doing a role where he pisses himself).

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire - 5/10
I'm kinda indifferent about this one. While watching it I already knew it would be forgettable. I don't know, perhaps I'm getting too old for this. The kids that were there as well seemed to enjoy it massively, but I can't say it was either good or bad.

Last edited:
Armageddon - 5/10

Making our way through older films on a rewatch with the kids....
Hmmmm.....Not as fun as I remember. Early Bayisms aplenty. Racism. Sexism. Statutory rapism.
Kids love Owen Wilson though, kinda the best part but they killed him off! Otherwise, a shouty, ugly color-graded, camera-swoopy, JJ Abramsy (writing credit!) soup.
*Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" kicks ass though*

Labyrinth: 7/10

I hadn't seen this in around a decade but pulled it out to show it to my youngest daughter who is now old enough to really appreciate it.

This movie will always be important to me because of my nostalgic connection to it, and I'm sure that's reflected in my score. The practical effects are amazing for what they were and given the time in which the film was made. Watching the behind the scenes video made me appreciate that stuff even more. It is also pretty funny at various points, the main characters are effectively likable, the acting is all fine, and Bowie is tremendous. But it's a quaint little movie when all is said and done that achieves what it sets out to but not much else. I see it as a playground for innovative puppeteering and set pieces as much as anything else.

I never knew before this watch that Terry Jones was the initial writer. Jim Henson, Terry Jones, George Lucas (executive producer) and David Bowie is an odd dream team of the time.

1712328279872.jpeg

Been awhile since I watched this movie, but it recently got added to one of my movie channels and decided to put it on. This was the regular version and not the director cut/extended cut, which I have also seen. Great flick with excellent action and a decent story. Cast is stellar, so I recommend this one with a 7.5 rating. I would give the extended version with the additional scenes an 8.0 🍿

Back To The Future 10/10

Goddamn what a tight, breezy, fun movie. Pure popcorn perfection nearly 40 years on.
Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd are perfect together. The whole cast is awesome.
Silvestri is magical. Huey rocks.
May it never be remade.

Road House (2024)
Yeah agree with most of the other comments this is a pretty bad cringy pointless remake like 99% of the other bad remakes.
Hollywood has become so obsessed with safety on set that the fights now have to be enhanced with CG? Filmmakers seem to have lost basic objectivity, if we can look at the fights and see that they look absolutely awful why can’t they?
The actors lack basic charisma and the script is weak. Whoever came up with the idea of setting this film in the Keys I’m just like wtf
The dude with the cast on his arm was the ***only*** worthwhile thing in his entire slog. He was funny.
That ex-fighter debut dude was an embarrassment.
I’ve seen better direct to video mid eighties $2m budget action movies.
This film cost $80m!
And that’s considered cheap lol.
The worst thing Doug Liman has ever made.

War for the Planet of the Apes - 9/10

Finally finished my rewatch of the previous trilogy, and I remain amazed at how much depth and complexity they were able to get out of these CG ape characters. And I especially loved the much more 60s-style score this time around which made it feel even more like a proper Apes film.

Only thing that knocked it down a bit for me was the villain. I'm a big fan of Woody Harrelson but just didn't find him especially scary or compelling in this. And it's kinda mystifying why he decided to keep Caesar around despite the very obvious threat posed by him. Lol

I'll be really curious to see if the latest movie will have the same kind of artistry that Matt Reeves brought to it, with those quieter moments he put in, or those touching scenes like the gorilla putting a flower in the girl's hair.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut

It looked great in 4K, that was cool to finally see. I’d never seen Scott’s director’s cut. I decided I actually like the theater release better. Or I guess maybe what is referred to as the “international version” which shows more graphic violence (not that I really need that though, tbh) would be fine too.

From what I’ve read Phillip K. Dick never insinuated that Deckard might possibly be a replicant. That all came from Scott.

I like the ending in the theatrical cut where Deckard and Rachael are flying north to the Alaskan wilderness. They’re definitely “not out of the woods” (there’s a visual pun there I think). So that ending imho is appropriate to noir. It’s not really a “happy ending” in other words. I also like the voiceover narration of the detective in the theatrical cut because it is a neo-noir after all, and that’s a major genre convention.

Anyway, still waiting for a 4K blu-ray of the theatrical version!

Despite my criticisms (my rather personal taste, really) of the director’s cut the movie remains a masterpiece. Hadn’t watched in decades and it was a treat to see it scanned to 4K and with HDR and Dolby Atmos, etc.

Last edited:
I've been looking for new "old" stuff to watch lately.

I realized I'd never actually seen "Leon: The Professional" all the way through, certainly not the extended version.

So I watched it.

I guess this is a case of "you had to be there" cause not only did the action scenes do nothing for me, but man....the "creep" factor of this thing is just through the roof.

I'm not a prude at all. I love boobies and sexual content in my movies. So when I read people complaining about this movie sexualizing a pre-teen Natalie Portman, I figured it was just exaggeration and people being overly sensitive.

It's not! This movie is gross, dude. It's just two and a half hours of a 12 year old girl prancing around in her underwear and dressed like a hooker. Blech! I guess I've finally transitioned into the stodgy, conservative, finger-wagging old church lady on this one.

And then they turn around and put Natalie Portman in ANOTHER movie where she's the 13 year old love interest of a 30 something dude!! (Beautiful Girls.) Man. It's a wonder she's not more messed up than she is.

I've been looking for new "old" stuff to watch lately.

I realized I'd never actually seen "Leon: The Professional" all the way through, certainly not the extended version.

So I watched it.

I guess this is a case of "you had to be there" cause not only did the action scenes do nothing for me, but man....the "creep" factor of this thing is just through the roof.

I'm not a prude at all. I love boobies and sexual content in my movies. So when I read people complaining about this movie sexualizing a pre-teen Natalie Portman, I figured it was just exaggeration and people being overly sensitive.

It's not! This movie is gross, dude. It's just two and a half hours of a 12 year old girl prancing around in her underwear and dressed like a hooker. Blech! I guess I've finally transitioned into the stodgy, conservative, finger-wagging old church lady on this one.

And then they turn around and put Natalie Portman in ANOTHER movie where she's the 13 year old love interest of a 30 something dude!! (Beautiful Girls.) Man. It's a wonder she's not more messed up than she is.

I remember liking this film way back when I was younger. The whole hitman thing was cool and Gary Oldman is very good, but after a rewatch a couple of months back I was kinda shocked about how Leon and Mathilda's relationship is portrayed.

Back then when I was closer to Mathilda's age it didn't bother me, I just watched the movie for above hitman reasons, but now that I watched it being closer to Leon's age, I felt a whole lot different about this movie.

And then even more so after reading this:
According to actress Maïwenn Le Besco, part of the film is based on her romantic relationship with the writer/director Luc Besson. (Le Besco plays the interfering drug dealer's "Blonde Babe" in the opening scene) and was engaged to the writer/director at the time the film was made. Le Besco had met Besson when she was 11 years old, and started dating him when she was 15 years old (Besson was 32 years old at the time). At the age of 16 she gave birth to their daughter.

I watched a bunch of Woody Allen movies last month. That dude's a certified pervert for sure. But "Manhattan" didn't feel as gross to me as this. It just seemed like the pathetic fantasy of a middle-aged dork. This movie felt really slimy to me. There's a big difference between a 17 year old as the object of the perversion compared to a 12 year old.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut

It looked great in 4K, that was cool to finally see. I’d never seen Scott’s director’s cut. I decided I actually like the theater release better. Or I guess maybe what is referred to as the “international version” which shows more graphic violence (not that I really need that though, tbh) would be fine too.

From what I’ve read Phillip K. Dick never insinuated that Deckard might possibly be a replicant. That all came from Scott.

I like the ending in the theatrical cut where Deckard and Rachael are flying north to the Alaskan wilderness. They’re definitely “not out of the woods” (there’s a visual pun there I think). So that ending imho is appropriate to noir. It’s not really a “happy ending” in other words. I also like the voiceover narration of the detective in the theatrical cut because it is a neo-noir after all, and that’s a major genre convention.

Anyway, still waiting for a 4K blu-ray of the theatrical version!

Despite my criticisms (my rather personal taste, really) of the director’s cut the movie remains a masterpiece. Hadn’t watched in decades and it was a treat to see it scanned to 4K and with HDR and Dolby Atmos, etc.
It's Final Cut only for me. I can see the appeal of Ford's narration, but it turns the whole thing into just a straitforward detective story, and I find the movie a whole lot more compelling and mysterious without that device. And it also lets the amazing visuals speak for themselves.

And I also find the quick cut at the end a whole lot more powerful.

Back