Rank your favorite Freddy!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite Freddy?

• A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Votes: 57 42.5%
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Freddy vs. Jason (2003)

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) lol

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Part 1 for me. I did like him in some of the other sequels as well but I'm a purist that always feels without the first one, there wouldn't be all his other looks.

Remake Freddy looks like a hampster. Although I didn't mind the movie overall.

fredKeithG0512_800x588.jpg

:rotfl

Why did sideshow make so few freddy figures? Was it because he has basically the same look in every movie?

Part 1 for me. I did like him in some of the other sequels as well but I'm a purist that always feels without the first one, there wouldn't be all his other looks.

Remake Freddy looks like a hampster. Although I didn't mind the movie overall.

Actual burn victims do kind of look like hamsters. :monkey1

Freddy 1 does has a little extra something. I really need to watch the whole series again.

He reminded me of Jim Carey in The Mask. :slap Worst Freddy EVER. That voice. :slap

As films, I'd rate the best as:

Nightmare on Elm Street '84
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (not as good as the above three, but gets points for trying something different, and keeping 'scary' Freddy)

Then everything else classic Freddy related (all watchable enough for Freddy fans like me, but none of it particularly good in my opinion), probably in the following order - FvJ, Dream Child, Freddy's Dead, Dream Master - but honestly they're all at about the same level for me

Then the remake abortion, which I went into with as open a mind as possible, and generally low expectations, and was still surprised at just how god awful it was. I'd rather watch the entire run of Freddy's Nightmare back to back than ever see this thing again.

Now if we're talking Freddy Make-Up's then New Nightmare is my fave, then Freddy's Revenge for the best version of the more 'classic' Freddy look, then Dream Warriors, Dream Child, Dream Master, Nightmare '84, FvJ, Freddy's Dead, and finally, the melted ferret (Nightmare 2010).

And as far as Freddy performances go, Nightmare '84 wins hands down. After that I'd say that New Nightmare, Freddy's Revenge and Dream Warriors, in that order. Dream Master and Dream Child are just too comical for my tastes, and by Freddy's Dead he's a flat out clown playing everything for laughs. FvJ was pretty much a caricature Freddy as pop culture icon too, though I enjoyed that performance more than the other 'comic' Freddy turns, maybe because Freddy had been away for a while at that point.

2010 Freddy isn't even worth mentioning to be honest. Rarely have I seen such a great actor give such a stilted and lame performance. The one thing I had high hopes for, the casting choice for NuFreddy, turned out to be every bit as bad and as ineffectual as everything else in that film was.

Last edited:
Well said.

The 2010 movie was almost unwatchable. :slap

It's just not Freddy without Robert Englund.

What were they thinking.

Why remake it to begin with? Particularly when you then cast someone who isn't all that much younger than Robert Englund anyway. That'd be my first question. Just because you can do something, that doesn't mean that you should.

Thing is, if you are going to go down that path then they could have relaunched the series without the need to retell the same exact story (only worse) all over again, but much like the wretched Halloween remake, they screwed the pooch in pretty much every concievable way on this one. And the result is truly horrific, and not in a good way.

Now I'm not actually against our modern horror icons being re-invented to freshen them for a new audience, I actually think that it can be done, and if done right and with respect and care it can even be a healthy thing over the long term. But it has to be done with care and attention and both a respect for the originals, as well as a true vision in making those character live and breath and be relevant again in the world we live in today.

Hammer managed to do that with the Universal monsters back in the day, giving us fresh but worthy new versions of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera and The Mummy, and so on, and in the right hands the torch can be passed, and we could do something similar with out modern horror icons in order to ensure that they remain alive and vibrant and iconic for just as long as the classic monsters have.

Problem is, the people making all these ____ty remakes are purely in it for the money, and see these characters as little more than brand names they can exploit and quickly profit on, then move along to the next, rinse and repeat, all the while taking the easiest cut 'n paste approach possible in order to maximise hype and short term profits, without ever bothering to really take the time to create anything of worth, that can give fans a new experience, while also respecting the originals. There is no artistry or creativity or respect or integrity involved, it is all a very calculated money making exercise. Take a character, follow the formula, dispose of when audiences no longer make crappy remake sequels viable, then move on to the next and start all over again. These people are a plague on horror and horror fans.

With the right people in charge we should be getting remakes along the lines of Carpenter's The Thing, Cronenberg's The Fly, Kaufman's Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, and those Hammer Horrors that I mentioned. Because the characters are iconic and interesting, the stories that can be told with them can be mythic and scary and relevant. But instead we are getting lazy crap made by hacks who care little about the charcters and even less about audiences. It's nothing but a cinematic rape and pillage act, as it has gotten really fricken old.

Do something worthwhile, or leave these iconic characters and properties in peace. Sorry about the rant. :lol:

Back